New vitus e sommet owner

jpj. 92

Oct 13, 2020
Uk
Hi all... Took delivery of my vitus e sommet 8 days ago, been having a read up on here I have foam ready to fit in various places and a rear mudguard now. I have ridden it 4 times now and my frame rock strike protecter was peeling on the sides and full of mud and grit so I have removed it and will have to find somthing better to stick it with? And to my disappointment my frame is showing quite bad scratching in multiple areas already!? I had an orange alpine before this in almost the same anthracite grey and it had less signs of wear on a 6 year old frame! Otherwise it is a hoot to ride :p

IMG_20201016_203712.jpg

IMG_20201009_162325.jpg

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
bikes seem to be built now with the least amount of thought going into how they will last. My first MTB I was a bit careless with frame protection and after 2 years it looked absolutely battered, plus if someone was being picky, they could say the frame was structurally weakened, the carbon had even rubbed through in places. I had to sell that bike cheaper than I would have like to because there was just no hiding how much it'd been ridden.
2nd bike I thought I would get it invisiframed, a couple of riding buddies had mentioned it to me, the bike shop did it for me from new and it cost £140 UI think, the kits are available for £75-85 ish but from what i've been told it's a fiddly job and best left to people who do it all the time unless you want to risk making a mess of it, so the extra £70 to the bike shop was worth it of it saved me half a day's work.
I sold my other bike just recently and the new buyer did have a bit of a whine about the few dings, scuffs and scrapes on the invisiframe kit and tried to haggle money off, I simply said it's a protective sticker, if you really want you can remove it completely and the frame will be good as new (but then it'll be unprotected) and they reluctantly agreed it was best to leave it on and agreed to pay the asking price.
but, a spanner to my plan, I was going to recommend you buy one of these kits and have it fitted, it seems invisiframe don't make kits for vitus e bikes yet. which is a shame as I had the 2021 sommet on my shorlist for next year.
at a guess i'd say most of the accoustic somet kit will work, you could buy that and also just use some clear protective tape for the other bits?

jpj. 92

Oct 13, 2020
Uk
Thanks for the input, I ended up using some carbon vinyl to cover the orange stickers up and have used motocross protective clear vinyl I have cut to fit all the hard wearing parts. Seems to be doing the job nicely.

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
I sold my other bike just recently and the new buyer did have a bit of a whine about the few dings, scuffs and scrapes on the invisiframe kit and tried to haggle money off, I simply said it's a protective sticker, if you really want you can remove it completely and the frame will be good as new (but then it'll be unprotected) and they reluctantly agreed it was best to leave it on and agreed to pay the asking price.
but, a spanner to my plan, I was going to recommend you buy one of these kits and have it fitted, it seems invisiframe don't make kits for vitus e bikes yet. which is a shame as I had the 2021 sommet on my shorlist for next year.
at a guess i'd say most of the accoustic somet kit will work, you could buy that and also just use some clear protective tape for the other bits?

They list the eSommet kit, its the 2019 model but thats same frame as 2020 (2021 might be different). I have a kit on mine (eEscarpe, same frame), infact have invisiframe on all my bikes. Im not really concerned about scratching paint (its just a bike after all) but the cost of the kit isnt that bad and it keeps an expensive bike looking nice. The crank skins are worth getting too, nothing makes a bike look tatty like worn crank arms, i have plenty like that already :ROFLMAO:

jpj. 92

Oct 13, 2020
Uk
They list the eSommet kit, its the 2019 model but thats same frame as 2020 (2021 might be different). I have a kit on mine (eEscarpe, same frame), infact have invisiframe on all my bikes. Im not really concerned about scratching paint (its just a bike after all) but the cost of the kit isnt that bad and it keeps an expensive bike looking nice. The crank skins are worth getting too, nothing makes a bike look tatty like worn crank arms, i have plenty like that already :ROFLMAO:

That's not too bad money for how much value it retains to the bike afterwards.. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to try and fit it mind! I found it hard enough using what I did for mine and had to screw a few bits up ?. Crank arms I agree are worth protecting I can see slight rub on mine already a month in..

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North
That's not too bad money for how much value it retains to the bike afterwards.. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to try and fit it mind! I found it hard enough using what I did for mine and had to screw a few bits up ?. Crank arms I agree are worth protecting I can see slight rub on mine already a month in..

Yeah large sheets of sticky plastic, that also stretches and needs to be worked onto a curved surface is pretty awkward to install straight and without bubbles or fingerprints. After doing a few my tip is to work in an area you can soak the floor and is also warm so your fingers dont freeze. Use warm water with a touch of soap, and everything needs to be wet all the time, bike, sticker, hands - especially hands! thats key to letting you pull and peel it to get it straight and work bubbles out as you go. Its quite easy once you accept getting soaked doing it. I think if I could do the whole thing underwater i might even get it perfect first go :ROFLMAO:

jpj. 92

Oct 13, 2020
Uk
Yeah large sheets of sticky plastic, that also stretches and needs to be worked onto a curved surface is pretty awkward to install straight and without bubbles or fingerprints. After doing a few my tip is to work in an area you can soak the floor and is also warm so your fingers dont freeze. Use warm water with a touch of soap, and everything needs to be wet all the time, bike, sticker, hands - especially hands! thats key to letting you pull and peel it to get it straight and work bubbles out as you go. Its quite easy once you accept getting soaked doing it. I think if I could do the whole thing underwater i might even get it perfect first go :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the tips! Think I will have to give it a go

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles