New vitus e sommet 2021

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
Vitus have absolutely nailed the 2021 range, whether retro pedal bikes or the ebikes.
I desire their bikes more than any current santa cruz offering that's for sure.
Looking forward to the reviews.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It looks like another cracking EMTB from them, though its disappointing to see the weight go up so much.

Having said that with the rush to bigger batteries and internal fitaments its pretty much the norm now for the latest models to be significantly up on weight.

Taken against the other EP8/625Wh bikes recently released its spot on spec wise, a similar weight, and good value again, but what makes the old one so great is the relatively low weight and how that weight is low down on the bike - its by far the easiest full fat EMTB to lift the front end up on that I have ridden, and that will have been lost with the new one.

Last edited:

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Regarding the weight not sure its the battery is the reason 0.55kg between the 630 and the 503 (was looking to make some quick weight savings, pocket savings not so much @£600:eek:).

In theory should the EP8 have been making bikes lighter?

Maybe the EP8 costs more and manufacturers are having to cost save in other areas to keep prices similar. Or maybe manufacturers are beefing up their frames/components (like the new 38 forks, steel freehubs) as they realise the extra abuse joe casual rider can dish out in a single ride compared to an acoustic bike?

It could just be they are simply following the specs people have been switching to anyway such and DH tyres etc. I appreciate that there's nothing to be swapped with the new e-sommets straight out the box. Although I do like fox suspension (because > marketing sheep lol) I doubt I could tell either brand apart if it wasn't a straight back to back. Having XT brakes and the right tyres is a major plus for me.

I'd like to see a 350watt 'session' battery if shimano could get it 1.5KG. Realistically it would probably be 2.5kg as there seems to be a fixed overhead for fittings judging by the weight difference from 630 (170watts/KG) to the 503 (160watts/KG). Maybe in the future they'll be 3rd party manufacturers (EU rules vs closed systems) or a leap in battery power to weight could be something to look forward too. But having the option to use the full range of batteries is a plus for a consumer.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Internal battery frames are simply heavier than external battery frames. They have to be to build a frame as structurally strong/durable but allow access and removal of the battery.
Me n R120 have both been stating this fact for years.
Emtbs need to be getting lighter. Not heavier. They handle like shit when too heavy or too long.
A heavier fork and front wheel isn't going to help either

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think @BenroTV has ridden the new 2021 and observed the extra weight over the front.

I think the 2021 look like a great bike, its just indicative of the changing marketplace and where we stand at the moment - I am not going to discount getting one, as TBH I am not such a great rider that a lower weight bike lets me cut loose ad get all radical in a way that realistically is beyond me now adays, but being able to get the front end up early, or without really thinking has got me out of several Oh Shit moments, and there have been occasions when riding other EMTB's where I have come across and obstacle I would easily pop over on my Sommet and found myself having to really haul the bike up, but then again thats something you would probably adjust to under longer term ownership.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
I wondered if they could make Batteries/motors a stressed member item as seen in other industries. If a battery had a load bearing spine added and bolted to the frame could there be a saving on the reinforcement needed. You couldn't just unclip the battery anymore but a good trade off for a lighter bike?

Anyway I'm going to go weight my acustic bike a I'm guessing its not far off 24kg...

Mybrainaches

Jan 27, 2019
Sheffield
I think @BenroTV has ridden the new 2021 and observed the extra weight over the front.

I think the 2021 look like a great bike, its just indicative of the changing marketplace and where we stand at the moment - I am not going to discount getting one, as TBH I am not such a great rider that a lower weight bike lets me cut loose ad get all radical in a way that realistically is beyond me now adays, but being able to get the front end up early, or without really thinking has got me out of several Oh Shit moments, and there have been occasions when riding other EMTB's where I have come across and obstacle I would easily pop over on my Sommet and found myself having to really haul the bike up, but then again thats something you would probably adjust to under longer term ownership.

I keep riding other bikes but none feel as good as mine. I may just end up putting an ep8 motor in mine, and changing to a bigger battery. My mate has a new Whyte e180 and will have a go on that but it’s heavier than mine..... will be interesting

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
Regarding the weight not sure its the battery is the reason 0.55kg between the 630 and the 503 (was looking to make some quick weight savings, pocket savings not so much @£600:eek:).

In theory should the EP8 have been making bikes lighter?

Maybe the EP8 costs more and manufacturers are having to cost save in other areas to keep prices similar. Or maybe manufacturers are beefing up their frames/components (like the new 38 forks, steel freehubs) as they realise the extra abuse joe casual rider can dish out in a single ride compared to an acoustic bike?

It could just be they are simply following the specs people have been switching to anyway such and DH tyres etc. I appreciate that there's nothing to be swapped with the new e-sommets straight out the box. Although I do like fox suspension (because > marketing sheep lol) I doubt I could tell either brand apart if it wasn't a straight back to back. Having XT brakes and the right tyres is a major plus for me.

I'd like to see a 350watt 'session' battery if shimano could get it 1.5KG. Realistically it would probably be 2.5kg as there seems to be a fixed overhead for fittings judging by the weight difference from 630 (170watts/KG) to the 503 (160watts/KG). Maybe in the future they'll be 3rd party manufacturers (EU rules vs closed systems) or a leap in battery power to weight could be something to look forward too. But having the option to use the full range of batteries is a plus for a consumer.

The internal batteries are heavier and make up some of the difference. But, that's not the end of it... If you want the battery in the down tube you have two options, either its installed from the bottom, where the motor is, a la Levo or Whyte, or you cut a hole in the downtube. If you cut a hole in the downtube, as they have done in the 2021 summet, you destroy the structural integrity of the tube so it needs a load of reinforcement to put some of it back in again. With carbon this is easier as its stiffer to start with and you can get clever with the layup but with aluminium it's an inevitability that you'll add a load of weight. Don't expect any leaps in battery power to weight, same deal with motor efficiency, batteries and motors have been around a LONG time.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
They do look nice but they should have gone with the Bosch motor, I wont buy another ebike with a Shimano motor

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles