New versus old

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi all I'm just having a little think do we think it's your mind or your body that makes u slow down I'm 41 4 young kids so I can't really push things but I think my skills are still improving on a bike but my brain says that's to fast slow down what do u lot think?

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Since meeting my wife and having my little boy I've become a complete wimp, it's the strangest thing. I used to love mx and enduro but now I really can't be bothered to get up at 5 in the morning to spend £100-150 to go and hurt myself. I don't bother trying to keep up with my mates on the ebike anymore either. Now I get up at 5 in the morning every day to a winging baby.:cautious:

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Haha I wouldn't say wimp tbh Im just tired all the time and I got the ebike not cos I couldn't ride my old one I just dont have time so now I can pop to hamstley for 7 on Sunday ride 2hrs do maybe 15-20 miles and be home for 10 then go out with family I've only just come back to mtb maybe 3yrs ago and as Said I think I'm still getting better my strava times are getting faster but I think ultimately my brain says that's gona hurt if u come off now dial it back lol

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Definitely your mind, my brother is 10 years older than me at 49 yo. He had a heart attack at 45 and he makes me work hard to keep up.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I dunno - as I get older I am getting faster it seems. Of course, having a Brose or Shimano motor helping me blast along my favorite trails at ever increasing speeds is a huge rush. I guess at 60 I don't really care if I can't go to work due to crash injuries like I did when I gave up MX in my 40's.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You are as old as you behave! :p

I was very fit in my teens (running, swimming, ice skating), then went dormant from late teens to early 20's (too busy shagging and drinking beer). In my late 20's I started windsurfing and for the next 8 years I was super fit. Then I got ill and could do nothing physical for 5 years. Got out of the habit of getting/keeping fit. Just slouched along but busy at work, gained 40lbs. Started riding a bike in my early 40's - got sort of fit(ish). Bought an mtb HT when I was 57 and my fitness and stamina took off. Peaked at 63, still wanting to do it, but the knees started to slow me down. Got to 67, keeping fit 10 miles at a time, with 2-3 days off between to recover. Bought an emtb..lift off! Now 68, loving it - when the bike works!

Anybody want a 40-year old sailboard, not used for 32 years? Sea Panther, 6.5m2 sail in red/yellow/white, plus a spare smaller sail somewhere. Come and collect and its all yours, FREE! I kept it for emotional reasons, but those have long since died and it was too much trouble to dispose of it. Now it's taking up space. Comes with free spiders! :LOL:

Last edited:

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Sometimes it is the personality.
Some are realy part of group A, the doers. At 65 they still focus on that.
Some are realy part of group B, not that much focussed on that.
Obviously some are more in the middle.
When you ask around for help to move or trail maintenance allways the same are present and others have excuses.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When you ask around for help to move or trail maintenance allways the same are present and others have excuses.
I live in a small village and it's always the same few that get stuff done. The problem with that of course is that those same people can get set in their ways and consequently things change slowly. Until some type A people come to live in the village..... :LOL::eek:

My wife and I were one of those once, 30+ years ago. I remember being told that the village Fete had been staged in "Feast Week" since William the Conqueror, at least! For those neither French not Brit, or just historically challenged, that's over 950 years ago! Some things you just can't change. :)

Last edited:

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Atleast I'm normalish lol well as said I'm only 41 still feel younger but I've got 4 kids from 5 months to 12 and I'm still finding time to get out (understanding wife ?) the ebike has made it so much easier in our group the question went about at what age do u stop going fast trail riding and just ride for a bit fitness and keep it all in check we seemed to think about 60 to start with but some of the lads are well into there 50s and they ain't slowing down yet so I guess it's personal and maybe if u have a big off changes that aswell?

Bean

Jul 21, 2018
Hull, UK
Does it matter if you slow down if your having fun ? Me and the wife aren't fast, don't tackle the rougher stuff yet but we just spent Tues at Sherwood Pines blue in morning then at Clumber Park in afternoon getting off track in outer areas. Not fast, not overly challenging but we both came back with big grins and in one piece.
Have fun, that all that matters in life.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I never really got into mountain biking as such when I was young, it was more free transport so I rode heaps but never looked for specific Mt bike trails etc. Now with the ebike I'm loving it and regret that I never did it earlier. So for me when I compare to other sports I played a lot of cricket, rugby league, tennis etc it's the body that holds me back now. My mind knows I can do it but my body says sorry bud you can't.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
I agree with u bean for me it's about time away from the family out with the boys having a laugh and keeping moving but we do have a healthy little competition between us all on certain trails from time to time ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Atleast I'm normalish lol well as said I'm only 41 still feel younger but I've got 4 kids from 5 months to 12 and I'm still finding time to get out (understanding wife ?) the ebike has made it so much easier in our group the question went about at what age do u stop going fast trail riding and just ride for a bit fitness and keep it all in check we seemed to think about 60 to start with but some of the lads are well into there 50s and they ain't slowing down yet so I guess it's personal and maybe if u have a big off changes that aswell?
I didn't even ride an mtb until I was 57! I've had many "big offs", some were nasty and I was off the bike for a fortnight or so, some I escaped with only minor bruising. Like most of us I guess, I've got scars from mtb, but mostly nowhere obvious. So far, I have been fortunate to have avoided impalings and broken bones (that's jinxed that!). I'm 68 now and I see no reason to stop any time soon, and certainly not now I've got 250W at my beck and call! Seriously, I've got more power in the light outside my garage than that! Who would have thought that 250W, properly applied, would make such a difference! :love:

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
I'm 53 and weigh about 98kg but only 5'10" tall. I have always been very strong and powerful, I enjoy weight training, general fitness and outdoor stuff like skiing/boarding, cycling, swimming etc but nature is taking its toll and I am slowing down gradually as I age.

I have always worked in heavy engineering so have punished my body through my career and now have joint pains, worn hips, knees and back. I have never been particularly fast, nimble or athletic compared to the slimmer guys but can keep going if the pace is moderate enough for me.

Getting an emtb has been a really fun game-changer. In a couple of hours I can cover a greater distance with more ease/less fatigue and focus more on the ride and being outdoors rather than wishing the ride away with sore joints, a pounding chest and bursting lungs.

I'm happy to be old if I can keep doing this, no fears for the future. Old is now just a state of mind rather than a real life problem.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
I didn't even ride an mtb until I was 57! I've had many "big offs", some were nasty and I was off the bike for a fortnight or so, some I escaped with only minor bruising. Like most of us I guess, I've got scars from mtb, but mostly nowhere obvious. So far, I have been fortunate to have avoided impalings and broken bones (that's jinxed that!). I'm 68 now and I see no reason to stop any time soon, and certainly not now I've got 250W at my beck and call! Seriously, I've got more power in the light outside my garage than that! Who would have thought that 250W, properly applied, would make such a difference! :love:
Well Steve you are allmost my older cousin. My last name is Scott, my great grandfather was from Scottland and took the boat when he was young, made it in Montreal. I am an outdoor guy who also started mountain biking at 57 4 years ago. Since 12 i wanted to go to Hawaii to surf well i feel i surf on 2 wheels. Ya those toys are real fun. I might be at it an other 30 years or 40 with some luck. Happy trails !

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I presume you are talking about downhill right? If so, the quick answer - mind, assuming your body is in decent shape.

I'm 63 and been riding mountain and road bikes since the mid-1980's. Even got into mountain unicycles about 10 years ago. Got a road e-bike over a year ago, and knew it was just a matter of time for the mountain. Just got my first emtb this month. I've never been the fastest descender in my club, cause they are crazy. But I was not the slowest either.

The bike I'm on definitely has a lot to do with the speed I ride downhill. Currently my emtb is the Rocky Mountain Altitude, and I've already had some amazing descents and would say they've been up there with my quickest times ever. I also have a Giant Trance (not e) and my downhills are definitely a bit slower on that. So, it's probably combination of the bike's characteristics, and the rider's frame of mind more than age (again, depending on fitness, skill level, etc). When the RM points downhill, it's almost like I hear it say, "time to eat"!. What sucks is the decrease in endurance for the climbing as I get older. Chasing the level of fitness of the past got pointless. And I've had some health issues, so I got the RM. I am totally in love with the sport again, and feel like I'm 30 years younger.

If I were in my 40's and had four little kids, I would definitely want to make it home after every ride in one piece. Feel the same way now about getting back to my wife and dogs. On the other hand, when I was in my 40's with kids and pets at home, I rode like a bat out of hell. Would say, do what you're comfortable with, push a bit to keep getting better, let whatever bike you have do what it was designed for, and most importantly, have fun.

Last edited:

Fatyank

Jul 20, 2019
England
As long as your wearing all the gear, go for it.
You only live once and there is nothing like getting your heart racing..

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Yep I hit the skills limit a few years back at 45 or so I recon aftwr starting mtb at around 40. I have no progression these days, its quite frustrating to have a feature on your mind & not be able to hit it.
But then I remind myself its all meant to be fun anyway & just enjoy what I can do.
I have no kids or wife to sap my time/money,, but still dont want to smack myself up by having big crashes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Progression doesn't have to mean hitting big features. Learn to manual or something and stop feeling sorry for yourself. 45 isn't old.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Yep I hit the skills limit a few years back at 45 or so I recon aftwr starting mtb at around 40. I have no progression these days, its quite frustrating to have a feature on your mind & not be able to hit it.
But then I remind myself its all meant to be fun anyway & just enjoy what I can do.
I have no kids or wife to sap my time/money,, but still dont want to smack myself up by having big crashes.
Not too dissimilar - only started riding any kind of bikes in my early 40s. Was a MX crash racing national series at 40 that got me thinking of other avenues to indulge my competitive urge. I won't do anything too gnarly as now 60+ and a broken back 8 years ago sort of tempered my instinct to do any obstacle - but I still have a blast on fun, fast runs.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Life’s too short…., send it, bend it, mend it. Tho it can get you down, sometimes you need to advance to keep interest. You have to risk it toget the biscuit.
I had my first heart attack 21 years ago and have been living with the affects of a damaged heart since. If I hadn’t taken life by the ballz, where would I be now ?‍♂️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles