New trance e+3 ordered wheel question

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi all new bike ordered will be here next week now I've read the hub thread and I'm bit worried but my question is is git a new set just built 29er hope sapim and mavic wheels built of old bike I know they won't fit so gona rebuild em again to 27.5 but wondering what u think do I use the giant rims or buy new ones maybe stans flow or dt swiss or my favourite mavic? I'm gona use sapim laser spokes again make the bike lighter ?

andykent

Mar 12, 2019
Oetz, Austria
Personally i wouldnt try and save weight on spokes, its an ebike, savings are going to be marginal, i would be trying to build up a solid set of wheels that can take a proper beating if its going to have 23kg of bike on it. Its an e bike, weight is not that important, you have a motor.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Personally i wouldnt try and save weight on spokes, its an ebike, savings are going to be marginal, i would be trying to build up a solid set of wheels that can take a proper beating if its going to have 23kg of bike on it. Its an e bike, weight is not that important, you have a motor.
Hi thanks well that's what I was thinking but the guy that builds my wheels recons I've got 32 spoke hubs which are strong I'm only 85kgs myself and he was pointing out that laser spokes are much stronger than most the thicker spokes will stretch more before snapping but anyway I'm thinking hope hubs good solid rim and spokes and hopefully no breakdowns?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi I've spent hours on the net and I've spoke to my mate he's a mechanic and wheel builder I've found 30mm internal halo vapour rims that are light and strong very good price aswell I was going mavic ex830 but halo is cheaper and lighter I've ordered sapim laser spokes and nipple just waiting for delivery then Stuart (mate) can build em ?

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Sounds good mate.
Why have you come down 5mm on rim size? Any particular reason?
The ones that are on are 30mm internal 35 external so the same but tbh I'm happy running 2.5-2.6 tyres I know it says u can run upto 2.8 but u can't get very strong casing at that size and a bit of weight I recon after weighing things I can loose 800ish grams from the wheels when built I know it's an ebike but with bars and a few other bits maybe a kilo and that would make a diffrence?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
I cant see it making much difference if you are sticking to 2.6" (As am I)
I just wondered if you had any other reason as I was sure the 2019 Trance E+3 has 35mm inners.

I am not taking a tyre off to find out though. LOL

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
I cant see it making much difference if you are sticking to 2.6" (As am I)
I just wondered if you had any other reason as I was sure the 2019 Trance E+3 has 35mm inners.

I am not taking a tyre off to find out though. LOL
Tbh I'm just going off the spec sheet it said 30mm? Also alot of this mtb trends I don't always think it makes much differencei used to run 2.35 tyres on 20mm rims and we're fine I'm a decent trail rider but alot if the top end kit won't make much difference unless u r properly pushing on I'm 41 with 4 young kids I can't push it that hard and I probably haven't got the talent ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles