• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered New to mtb's trying to understand tyre/wheel size

Blue172

Nov 24, 2018
Kirkham, Lancashire
Hi all,
I'm totally new to Mtb's let alone eMtb's I've only ever had and still have road bikes,
I've purchased a hardtail as I'm only going to be riding fire roads and the odd trail so an hardtail seemed the right choice (I may change my mind later as I'm loving the eMtb)

My question is I have an 2018 Haibike hardseven 7.0 the tyres are 27.5" X 2.8"

1st - what are 27.5+ tyres are they just wide 27.5 tyres?

2nd - I've had a few flat tyres whilst I've been out mainly thorns etc, so what size tube do I buy 27.5 X ? As I can't seem to find 27.5 X 2.8 inner tubes also if I want new tyres can I get 27.5+ or just 27.5 plus what width can I go up and down to?

Thanks

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
1 yes
2 if thorns are your main puncture cause definitely go tubeless

Tyre size is subjective, try lots and run what you like.
what width you can run depends on your rim width.
a 25mm (internal width) rim suits a 2.2-2.5 tyre best. 30 mm rim suits a 2.4-2.8 best and so on. You can run larger or smaller tyres on those rim widths but if going narrower or wider you'll need higher pressures to hold sidewall rigidity.

Last edited:

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Yep, for better puncture protection tubeless is the way to go. If you don't want to faff about, then a shop can set that up for you.

Your rims have a 35mm internal width. As Gary says, you don't really want to run much narrower, say 2.4 upwards. The terrain you're on would suggest something 2.4 to 2.6 which is fast rolling. Schwalbe Rocket Ron or Racing Ralph, Maxxis Forekaster?

Schwalbe
Maxxis

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
One thing to consider if you should want to go a little less wide is the ground clearance. If your pedals are already hitting the ground often I would certainly keep the 2.8 tires and not go to smaller sizes.

Apart from that it's personal preference which tire size suits you best.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles