New Tire for 27.5 Decoy. Anyone using a less wide rear tire.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Looking to replace my current OEM 2.8 rear Maxxis. Anyone having luck with a less wide, same width with a different tire brand altogether? Who is having better luck with their new choice or tire?

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
I know a few have gone with a 2.5 tire and are liking it. I plan to go that route as well but wanted to get some more wear on my 2.8 first.

Yzlvr

Jun 23, 2019
USA
I have the Michelin E wild 2.6 on the rear and the wild 2.4 on the front.. The 2.4 measures 2mm narrower then the DHF 2.6.. Love them both..

9748simonb

Oct 28, 2019
Uk
Put an e wild 2.6 on the back of mine. It’s a massive improvement. Seems to turn a bit quicker, roll a bit faster and doesnt get deflected off line through the rough stuff. You can feel that it’s better damped than the 2.8 minion.
I sold the minion for £25 and bought the e wild from Tweeks cycles for £35 so it was a cheap upgrade .Im happy with the minion on the front but when it’s worn out I’ll probably put an e wild on there.

butthead

Dec 10, 2019
Stafford
Put an e wild 2.6 on the back of mine. It’s a massive improvement. Seems to turn a bit quicker, roll a bit faster and doesnt get deflected off line through the rough stuff. You can feel that it’s better damped than the 2.8 minion.
I sold the minion for £25 and bought the e wild from Tweeks cycles for £35 so it was a cheap upgrade .Im happy with the minion on the front but when it’s worn out I’ll probably put an e wild on there.

I think they only do the e wild in 27.5?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Also have been running an Ewild 2.6 rear, honestly can't say I hated the 2.8 DHR but I do really like the 2.6 for cornering. Not crazy about the weight of the tire @ 1250ish grams but I pretty much ruined the stock alloy E13 rim running the 2.8 DHR on hard hits (broke spokes and lots of dents, cracking at nipple eyelets) and why I went to the Ewild in the first place.

Have since built up a carbon rim from another bike that is much burlier (36mm inner).

I just ordered a 2.6 DHR exo+ (970g) just to see if I get the same feel as the Ewild and drop close to a pound (or trash my carbon rim, we'll see ;)). I like the Ewild a lot but you can definitely feel the added weight, just hoping the 2.6 DHR will hold up, if not back to Ewild for sure.

I'm running a 2.6 dhf exo on the front which width wise about equal to Ewild 2.6 as a point of reference. Using the high setting to offset lower tire height.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
What's the view on the standard rear tyre.

My trails are not very rocky so I'm wondering if I will need to change? How does these e wild tyres grip when on that pebble dash trail material which is hard and slippy.

Last edited:

Ymersmoelf

Oct 19, 2019
Denmark
What's the view on the standard rear tyre.

My trails are not very rocky so I'm wondering if I will need to change? How does these e wild tyres grip when on that pebble dash trail material which is hard and slippy.

I put an Eddy Current on the back - the standard tyre was destroyed pretty easy. I happened for many of us. Its to weak in the sidewalls for all that weight...

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
How does 2.6 size affect the geo in the rear?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
How does 2.6 size affect the geo in the rear?

Lowers the rear and slackens the head angle so you might want to run the flip chip in high to compensate, or not just depends on what you like. Ewild is pretty good on loose top cover, but so is the Minion. My minion wore out in a couple months of hard riding in the summer, allowed too many pinch flats resulting in rim dents and I ultimately wore out the rim (alloy). You could always throw a kush core in the rear too and get a lot more mileage from the minion.

Looking back it's also important to realize that ebikes are heavy and today's low mtb pressures are not necessarily going to be best on the ebike.

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
I’ve stuck with the 2.8, but added Cushcore (in the rear only) and it’s really nice. I weigh about 78kg with all my stuff on and I’m running 19psi over some pretty serious rocks and roots. Expensive, but less than 2 new tyres — killed the first one with a serious snakebite through the bead (damn it) and central tyre.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
So would the cushcore make stock tyre ok or do you still need to get a better sidewall

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
Cushcore makes pinch flats much, much harder to happen, and makes the air pressure of the tyre ramp up much faster as there is less volume (just like a volume spacer in an air shock). It also makes the tyre considerably more stable on the rim; it rolls sideways much less in hard turns and berms. It is quite noticeable and all this allows you to run a lower pressure much more ‘safely’ and it just feels nicer.

It obviously can’t protect any more for things like sharp rock sidewall tears, although it makes them somewhat less likely as it significantly reduces the deformation of the tyre under load that is sometimes the reason for the tyre being in the position to be torn in the first place.
I recon it’s an amazing upgrade for emtbs. I can’t see myself going back to not running it on the rear.

Is is a bit of a shit to get on but watch the videos and copy the techniques. Took me 20 mins to do it 1st go.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
So would the cushcore make stock tyre ok or do you still need to get a better sidewall

Most likely yes or 2.6/2.8 whatever-your-flavor e-spec / DH rated tire, I haven't had a pinch since changing over to ewild.

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
Here’s it mounted on the stock rear wheel of the CF Pro, (alloy rims) before the tyre goes on. You can see how it supports the sidewalls and prevents pinching quite clearly:
5E1A8E0B-6099-4D42-B8B1-7D5D53EAC2C9.jpeg

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
E-Wild 2.8 with Cushcore and this should have been my first mod. I have burped the OEM Maxxis rear with Cushcore at least 5 times and others have reported this as well. Then it started leaking air as the tire bead was damaged. No more burping the rear. Waiting for the front to be available. I have been happy with the OEM Maxxis front though.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
E-Wild 2.8 with Cushcore and this should have been my first mod. I have burped the OEM Maxxis rear with Cushcore at least 5 times and others have reported this as well. Then it started leaking air as the tire bead was damaged. No more burping the rear. Waiting for the front to be available. I have been happy with the OEM Maxxis front though.
Those tyres are seriously heavy though as well as cushcore?

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA

Yea ewilds are heavy, probably equal or close to EXO+ minion with cushcore (~200g). All depends on what you're riding, I've had no issues without cushcore, but I'm not smashing rocks like every ride either. I didn't want to deal with the cushcore installation so decided to try the ewild alone since minion was worn out. You could go either way.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

Yea ewilds are heavy, probably equal or close to EXO+ minion with cushcore (~200g). All depends on what you're riding, I've had no issues without cushcore, but I'm not smashing rocks like every ride either. I didn't want to deal with the cushcore installation so decided to try the ewild alone since minion was worn out. You could go either way.
Do you know what exact spec of rear tyre is on the bike standard? Is it exo+?

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
Once you add some sidewall support to the 2.8 rear tire. its actually quite good.

I added a Rimpact insert and it provides moderate support and decent weight savings (vs CushCore).

So in essence, in terms of sidewall support for 2.8 maxxis:

1. No insert : low support unless high pressure
2. Rimpact: Moderate support and low weight
3. CushCore: Very Good support and heavy weight

Depends on your riding style and area what is the best option.

butthead

Dec 10, 2019
Stafford
Once you add some sidewall support to the 2.8 rear tire. its actually quite good.

I added a Rimpact insert and it provides moderate support and decent weight savings (vs CushCore).

So in essence, in terms of sidewall support for 2.8 maxxis:

1. No insert : low support unless high pressure
2. Rimpact: Moderate support and low weight
3. CushCore: Very Good support and heavy weight

Depends on your riding style and area what is the best option.

I was about to post asking about Rimpact - they seem good value and light too. Did you go for Standard or Pro? I like that you can get "Mullet" combinations and 27.5+

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
Well if I have a choice of burping the maxxis rear tire and a high side, high speed crash, or a slightly heavier, designed for a E-Bike tire and no burping on that same trail. I chose the E-Wild. I also ride in some chunky sections too. This is an E-bike after all, not a XC weight weenie. These bikes should come with the E-Wild's. With the little extra weight on a E-Bike, I bet 99.9% of riders couldn't tell the difference in ECO, Trail or Boost.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
I have ordered a cush core plus for the rear and going to see how I get on with the stock tyre. My trails are not sharp so should be ok

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
I was about to post asking about Rimpact - they seem good value and light too. Did you go for Standard or Pro? I like that you can get "Mullet" combinations and 27.5+

The Pro version is NEW …. so I went with the original

So add Rimpact Pro to the list in between Rimpact and Cushcore in terms of weight and sidewall support.(y)

I don't run an insert in the front though as I prefer the lower rotational weight on the front (back not as important)

Russ2550

Dec 14, 2019
US

Is there any BB drop with the 2.6 rear? I also want to replace the 2.8 on my Decoy but tired of getting so many pedal strikes already

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
See post #69 (R120) ... Larry Enticer would be proud

EST 5mm difference

FWIW .. you will get used to the pedal strikes ... took me 2 months to adapt, but I rarely strike now (*after destroying a set of flat pedals when the bike was new) :)

It comes down to riding style when choosing high or low BB (I am a low rider). The 2.6 tire in high bb setting would give similar feel .. but still a lot of pedal strikes to get used to (do not worry .. you will get used to it either way ... especially if this is your first e-bike)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles