New test bike: 2021 Giant Trance E

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Liking it! Suspension is very good, Maestro works very very well.

Feels quite small, need to change bars and stem as it’s a sample bike arrived with 65mm stem and 760mm bars! Maybe remove the Assegai and swap for something better for the mud we’ve got at the moment.

Yamaha motor is very very good. Not totally blown away by the auto mode though, gives some strange surges of power and it didn’t feel like it was consistent - sometimes it’d power up quickly other times would take a couple of crank spins. So ended up using regular modes which seem to work well.

Chain stay pretty long feels a bit more effort to move around than some of the competition
Auto mode is more annoying when the bike powers up in that mode every time too.

I assume that the new bike is the same?

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky

Feels quite small, need to change bars and stem as it’s a sample bike arrived with 65mm stem and 760mm bars! Maybe remove the Assegai and swap for something better for the mud we’ve got at the moment.

Yamaha motor is very very good. Not totally blown away by the auto mode though, gives some strange surges of power and it didn’t feel like it was consistent - sometimes it’d power up quickly other times would take a couple of crank spins. So ended up using regular modes which seem to work well.

Chain stay pretty long feels a bit more effort to move around than some of the competition
Thanks Rob for the update.

Myself, I never use auto mode. It feels dead compared to level 5. I love level 5, wish it went to level 11.

The long Chainstay feel is real, and the removable battery with its associated lock and extra weight doesn't help (the lock mech alone weighs almost 3/4 of a pound? and it's all up front and high).

But, try a few climbs you've never cleaned before, and see what happens?

Thanks again for giving the Trance X a go!

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
I have found that this bike back to back with a Bosch motor gets very impressive range. after hearing comments about how low the range seems to be on the new EP8 I would love to see comments on your experience with the efficiency.
My guess is it is a top performer up there with the levo.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I wanted to run a HG+ chain, to test it againts the Giant choice for OEM-chain, a KMC.

The tranx is my first experience with the shimano 12 speed, I wanted to know if the chain matters.

I managed to fit a proper Shimano 12 speed Chainring (long, stupid-boring, story).
20210125_074132.jpg

Here we have a Wolf-Tooth drop-stop ST 104BCD 32T. The significant part of the part number is the (ST) signifying HG+ chain compatabilty.

With the CR specified for the HG+ chain, it seems you may run any 12 speed chain you wish. I have been swapping chains back and forth each ride between the shimano and the KMC with no trouble at all.

The shimano chain shifts maybe a little quieter? but its not enough to matter.

The shimano chain takes less time in transition, but it's like milliseconds quicker.

The KMC seems better in mud. Better here means it doesn't rattle like a jar of marbles as often- while jammed with mud, leaves, and twigs. Neither setup is as good in the mud as a 10 speed, so this small nod towards the KMC chain is mute IMHO.

Either way, it dont matter much.

What doesn't work well is an HG+ chain, on a normal CR.

luiseral

Jun 29, 2021
Peru

I have a 2021 Giant Trance X E+ Pro 3 (very long name). Ive had it since Novembre 2020 and Im loving it. Have made several modifications to the bike. Changed the bar to a shorter one. Surprisingly this makes the bike feel lighter. Also charged the fork to a Zebb 38 170mm travel and at first wasn't sure to have such. long travel but no problem going up and a pleasure going down. Bike goes over everything. Also charged the rear suspension to a Fox Float Factory X2. Since the DPS was suffering a bit the change was worth it. Bike is heavy and larger than the competition but once you get used to it the Yamaha motor is awesome and lets you overcome its disadvantages making the bike really nimble on downhills. Going up is as much fun. This is a strong engine and the battery life is quite enough for 50-60 Km rides. Since I bought the base model I made the changes to the bike but I recon the Top Model is almost flawless. A good buy for the money.

luiseral

Jun 29, 2021
Peru
Auto mode is more annoying when the bike powers up in that mode every time too.

I assume that the new bike is the same?

I rarely use the auto mode, it consumes more battery power and is not quite there yet. I think they need to work on it more. The Manuela mode is pretty friendly and engages immediately.

luiseral

Jun 29, 2021
Peru
I have found that this bike back to back with a Bosch motor gets very impressive range. after hearing comments about how low the range seems to be on the new EP8 I would love to see comments on your experience with the efficiency.
My guess is it is a top performer up there with the levo.

If you set up the assistance to the lowest option the battery could last over 60km but battery management is key. Its a powerful engine so you will find yourself overusing it often. Tweaking the app is very helpful to save energy. More pedaling though.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
If you set up the assistance to the lowest option the battery could last over 60km but battery management is key. Its a powerful engine so you will find yourself overusing it often. Tweaking the app is very helpful to save energy. More pedaling though.

I am 800km into ownership and have had a 66km ride with 14% remaining when using factory settings for power. Circa. 80% in eco (one light) and 18% eco+ (2 lights) but also used max power a few times 2%.

I’d say with battery management such as lowering the assistance, the battery is good for 80-90km - I am 90kg without kit.

If find the standard kit in the “1” is perfect - XTR rear mech is good for silky smooth changes and the XT brakes are very strong. The OEM tyres work well.

Seat and grips are all I’ve changed which is testament to a good bike.

The major issue is I can’t get out on it enough!!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles