New Specialized Creo e-Road and e-gravel launches - just 12KG!

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
orbea is around 14kg and the cannondale around 15kgs.....but who cares they are electric and with 40 and 50nm of torque respectively the weight doesnt matter

i myself weigh 18st 5lbs......i ride a cube acid one with fox kashima forks, 11spd shimano, nukeproof finishing gear, i have the ALP motor @50nm and 500wh battery and use schwalbe tough tom tyres and the thing flys in sport and turbo and the range is phenominal .......if i put slicks on it, then it changes again.......and the bike weighs 25ish KGs

casing point....my commute to work is a round trip of 31miles and 1600ft of climbing, i can flush that in turbo all the way and still have 2/5 blocks of battery left. its all tarmac, but if a put slick schwalbe big bens on i would prob have 3/5 cubes of battery left

this is my return trip elevation profile
1563276448241.png

Last edited:

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Hhmm were see. I hope there is, but I ain't counting my chickens
I'm surprised too cause when I enter the shop saying "hello I would like to spend 8000€ on an ebike" the guy advise me to calm down and wait for the 16th of july because there would be some big news, updated Levo, and perhaps a new Kenevo. And he lost 8000€ straight. That's why I'm surprised!

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
orbea is around 14kg and the cannondale around 15kgs.....but who cares they are electric and with 40 and 50nm of torque respectively the weight doesnt matter...

????
Why are people always forgetting it isn´t only about the "Bike Weight"!!!!. Less weight means way better "bike handling".
Thats why Specialized is able to create higher prices. They ALWAYS say an E-Bike should feel like a "NORMAL" bike as much as possible.

WEIGHT DOES MATTER, also on E-Bikes!

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
????
Why are people always forgetting it isn´t only about the "Bike Weight"!!!!. Less weight means way better "bike handling".
Thats why Specialized is able to create higher prices. They ALWAYS say an E-Bike should feel like a "NORMAL" bike as much as possible.

i just don't buy it........how can you charge 7k for a bike that only weighs 4kgs less, but has a smaller battery and motor

for me it just doesnt add up and believe me i've owned plenty of bikes over the past years from alu, carbon, to custom Ti, to TT bikes.....

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I'm surprised too cause when I enter the shop saying "hello I would like to spend 8000€ on an ebike" the guy advise me to calm down and wait for the 16th of july because there would be some big news, updated Levo, and perhaps a new Kenevo. And he lost 8000€ straight. That's why I'm surprised!
That’s why as a bicycler retailer it doesn’t pay off to speculate. I have had info on the Creo for a little while now, but I would have gained nothing by leaking it early. As a Specialized dealer we were under an embargo until today to say anything about this road bike, because today was the official launch day. They never launch more than one bike to the public on the same day or even the same month.
I blame the “New Iphone mentality” for how our consumerism is evolving.
People have to always have the latest version of a product so they can feel all warm and fuzzy inside and have something before everyone else does. Meanwhile there was nothing wrong with the product they already have.
Is $17000 that shocking for a bike?
No not when phones cost more than my first car.
But like the S-Works Roubaix McLaren we sold a couple of years ago for $16000, someone is out there who will want this product.
I wonder what the margin is on this bike, because none of Specialized’s retailers are going to sell it for full retail. They will drive the price so low undercutting each other that they’ll be lucky to break even with the rate that most of overhead keeps increasing.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
That’s why as a bicycler retailer it doesn’t pay off to speculate. I have had info on the Creo for a little while now, but I would have gained nothing by leaking it early. As a Specialized dealer we were under an embargo until today to say anything about this road bike, because today was the official launch day. They never launch more than one bike to the public on the same day or even the same month.
I blame the “New Iphone mentality” for how our consumerism is evolving.
People have to always have the latest version of a product so they can feel all warm and fuzzy inside and have something before everyone else does. Meanwhile there was nothing wrong with the product they already have.
Is $17000 that shocking for a bike?
No not when phones cost more than my first car.
But like the S-Works Roubaix McLaren we sold a couple of years ago for $16000, someone is out there who will want this product.
I wonder what the margin is on this bike, because none of Specialized’s retailers are going to sell it for full retail. They will drive the price so low undercutting each other that they’ll be lucky to break even with the rate that most of overhead keeps increasing.

Please, don't be rude with me ("rude" in the meaning of "harsh"). I found very nice that my LBS tell me to wait, to be a bit more patient, instead of having 8000 euros on his account but an unhappy customer. It will be my very first ebike, I'm still looking for the best deal for my money. I appreciate the fact he was honest, cause it helps me to post-pone my buy, but perhaps for an non-online brand.
I blame the iPhone model, where everything with a +1 year will become obsolete for many people, and decrease the resell price too. But we are not speaking of an expensive 7000 euros smartphone, but a 7000 euros ebike that I will keep for sure at least 4 or 5 years. At least!

So, as a Specialized dealer, please give us information about the new Kenevo :p

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Please, don't be rude with me ("rude" in the meaning of "harsh"). I found very nice that my LBS tell me to wait, to be a bit more patient, instead of having 8000 euros on his account but an unhappy customer. It will be my very first ebike, I'm still looking for the best deal for my money. I appreciate the fact he was honest, cause it helps me to post-pone my buy, but perhaps for an non-online brand.
I blame the iPhone model, where everything with a +1 year will become obsolete for many people, and decrease the resell price too. But we are not speaking of an expensive 7000 euros smartphone, but a 7000 euros ebike that I will keep for sure at least 4 or 5 years. At least!

So, as a Specialized dealer, please give us information about the new Kenevo :p
He wasn’t honest with you. He speculated that they would announce a new Kenevo based on some information on the internet and the history of how Specialized launches new bikes. They don’t just give this information out to all of their dealers because someone would inevitably leak this information to the public, therefore devaluing an already devalued product like the current Kenevo that’s still in shops.
We were selling 6-10 Kenevos a week. I have sold 2 since the 2019 Levo came out. I also had to drop the price of 2018 carbon Levos to 10% above my cost just to get rid of them. This is not sustainable for any bicycle retailer, because of the overhead and my employer’s overwhelming desire to pay the staff a living wage. I have lowered the price of my Kenevo inventory considerably and they might as well be nailed to the showroom floor.
So even if I had information I wouldn’t share it. First of all Specialized would sue me into oblivion. It ends up hurting business in the end.
At the media event they had last weekend someone leaked photos of the new Enduro. You know what the result was? They immediately packed up all of those bikes and whatever else they were going to show and now we wait even longer for this information.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Lovely looking bike and seemingly well engineered, but completely ridiculous (though seemingly now standard for Specialized) BOHICA pricing... :rolleyes:

I am really not sure who is going to buy this given a) there are lots of way cheaper but still very good e-road bikes out there (Orbea Gain, Ribble Endurance, Focus Paralane2... blimey, even a Pinarello Nytro is less spendy!), and b) pretty much all the roadies who spend huge amounts on their machines hate ebikes with a passion. Maybe it is just a halo model that will precede more affordable alternatives? Somehow I doubt it...

Last edited:

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
My guess is we are also going to see that motor in a spesh epic style bike, probably with a different tune

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am pretty sure that there are several Fazua powered E-Road bikes coming in at just under or around 13kg on the market at the moment

Joeyrotundo

Apr 13, 2019
Canada , Vancouver Island
The Motor is definitly made by MAHLE

Also: Specialized launches new Turbo Creo SL e-road bike
""The motor is called the SL1.1, and Specialized has developed it in cooperation with German automotive giant Mahle. "

View attachment 16015
Thanks for that!

A very impressive little unit, beautiful form factor. They mention a fairly quiet operation as well, excellent! Will it be scaled up beefy unit for the Levos and Kenevo I wonder? The extra battery thing is awesome ?

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
He wasn’t honest with you. He speculated that they would announce a new Kenevo based on some information on the internet and the history of how Specialized launches new bikes. They don’t just give this information out to all of their dealers because someone would inevitably leak this information to the public, therefore devaluing an already devalued product like the current Kenevo that’s still in shops.
We were selling 6-10 Kenevos a week. I have sold 2 since the 2019 Levo came out. I also had to drop the price of 2018 carbon Levos to 10% above my cost just to get rid of them. This is not sustainable for any bicycle retailer, because of the overhead and my employer’s overwhelming desire to pay the staff a living wage. I have lowered the price of my Kenevo inventory considerably and they might as well be nailed to the showroom floor.
So even if I had information I wouldn’t share it. First of all Specialized would sue me into oblivion. It ends up hurting business in the end.
At the media event they had last weekend someone leaked photos of the new Enduro. You know what the result was? They immediately packed up all of those bikes and whatever else they were going to show and now we wait even longer for this information.

Kenevo: I call 2 shops this afternoon, they told me both there were not available anymore in my size (M). (They told me they checked the Holland dispatchnig platform in europe).
Levo: same thing. No more Levo Expert at the moment. Only the Comp carbon, which will disappear soon.

By the way, I understand your dealer point of view.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
????

Completely disagree... I think, to a certain extent, weight actually helps with the eBike performance. I’ve seen a few videos of people riding eBikes downhill with the motor off and they have beaten their acoustic equivalent.

Sure you don’t want a 30kg barge but you also don’t necessarily want a 12kg feather, the added weight, combined with a motor, helps with climbing a descending.

The acoustic bike world is just getting over the less weight is more obsession... it’s not...

jemen

E*POWAH Master
Jun 1, 2018
Austria
Completely disagree... I think, to a certain extent, weight actually helps with the eBike performance. I’ve seen a few videos of people riding eBikes downhill with the motor off and they have beaten their acoustic equivalent.

Sure you don’t want a 30kg barge but you also don’t necessarily want a 12kg feather, the added weight, combined with a motor, helps with climbing a descending.

The acoustic bike world is just getting over the less weight is more obsession... it’s not...
I have a Stumpjumper EVO and a LEVO 2019 and i love to ride some lines on my local BMX track now and then as i did it in my teenage years. Even with all the power of the Levo it is MUCH heaver to move than a "normal" Mountainbike, especially in fast turns, also on some singletrails in the woods or in the Austrian alps. Just remove the battery for one downride and you will see what i mean.
I did not want a 12kg feather, but i would love to see a Levo between 15 and 18kg sometime, that would be so awesome.

P.S. Sorry for little Off-Topic ;-)

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales

This review is great news for me and others on eMTBs who live where the weather conditions are more than just damp for most of the year and have/had water ingress issues.

Is this possibly one of the reasons why Spech have moved from Brose to Mahle?

Is this the beginning of Specialized finally waking up to the fact that ebike engines need to be watertight?

I have not seen an engine released from any other manufacturer so far that is IP67 rated. Batteries, yes, engines no. More than happy to be proved wrong here as we all know there are a lot of new engines out there at the moment and it would be really good to see this new trend continuing especially in the UK.

This could be positive news for eMTBs and possibly the new Kenevo if it’s engine has also been made watertight (y)

Hopefully they have not forgotten about the TCU on all their new bikes as currently this is a sponge :unsure:

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I have a Stumpjumper EVO and a LEVO 2019 and i love to ride some lines on my local BMX track now and then as i did it in my teenage years. Even with all the power of the Levo it is MUCH heaver to move than a "normal" Mountainbike, especially in fast turns, also on some singletrails in the woods or in the Austrian alps. Just remove the battery for one downride and you will see what i mean.
I did not want a 12kg feather, but i would love to see a Levo between 15 and 18kg sometime, that would be so awesome.

P.S. Sorry for little Off-Topic ;-)

Horses for courses really though, a BMX track doesn’t really call for an enduro or trail eBike. When I jump from my alloy eBike to my carbon trail bike it obviously does feel lighter, no doubt this helps in certain situations but I actually miss the weight + motor combination more. My trail bike feels more flighty, has less grip and doesn’t use the suspension as well. I personally think spending £££’s to save weight on an eBike pointless, and when adding new components it doesn’t come into my thought process, I guess we beg to differ ?

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
Been riding my mate's chunky and planted Spectral:ON. The weight forces positive commitment to turns which has fed back to better riding on my own clockwork bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles