New Shimano FW update E8000 - 4.9.0, E7000/E6100 - 4.6.0, E5000 - 4.4.2

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
It doesn't work on 4.9.0
I know the manual says 4.8.0 but wondering if anyone has tried updating the gearing settings with 4.9.0. My buddy has a Decoy that was DI2 but he has since swapped it out for mechanical shifting and every time he gets to 1 bar on the battery he loses pedal assist due to the ECU reserving battery for shifting. I want to use ST Unlocker to change his settings to mechanical. I would rather not downgrade and after hearing that 4.9.0 was purely for derestriction it seems like it should be fine for gearing but figured I’d reach out here first

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Ive got a bike with stock Di2. Not updated the fw yet. Can I turn off the battery preserverance by changing my gearing type to mechanical in the stunlocker and keep the Di2 or this works only if the deraileur is also replaced with mechanical?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Ive got a bike with stock Di2. Not updated the fw yet. Can I turn off the battery preserverance by changing my gearing type to mechanical in the stunlocker and keep the Di2 or this works only if the deraileur is also replaced with mechanical?
yes, if your bike has FW < 4.9.0

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
yes, if your bike has FW < 4.9.0

I've got Di2 on my bike, but changed the setting in the STUnlocked to Mechanical to turn off the battery preserve reserved for the Di2 operation. Since then my display shows W032 error. I've read its explanation, but can I safely ride with that error or maybe is there a way to turn it off?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I've got Di2 on my bike, but changed the setting in the STUnlocked to Mechanical to turn off the battery preserve reserved for the Di2 operation. Since then my display shows W032 error. I've read its explanation, but can I safely ride with that error or maybe is there a way to turn it off?
You have to set it back to Di-2 transmission. You can configure a battery reserve at Light settings...

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
But will switching it back do Di2 transmission bring back the reserve for its operational? Is the battery reserve settings at Light page the only one the system use or just for ligths?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
But will switching it back do Di2 transmission bring back the reserve for its operational? Is the battery reserve settings at Light page the only one the system use or just for ligths?
Who said you switch to manual? Who said you that Di2 requires additional reserve time?

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Who said you switch to manual? Who said you that Di2 requires additional reserve time?

Well, 10 posts above I asked about that and you advised I can switch to manual to turn off the reserve. I've read about the reserve for Di2 in some post here or some other forum so I asked here. Nevermind.

I've got another question related to STUnlocker. I've changed my chainring to 32T and you looked in the app for an option to change the chainring size in the app. I found it finally but if I try to change there's a warning that it is not adviced to change this because the E8000 works properly without the change. Previously there's been 38T. So I left it. During my trip the computer reported several W011 errors and the range and distance readings was totally wrong. So can I change the setting to 32T in the app and get rid of the errors and get properly calculated distance/range readings on the display?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Well, 10 posts above I asked about that and you advised I can switch to manual to turn off the reserve. I've read about the reserve for Di2 in some post here or some other forum so I asked here. Nevermind.

I've got another question related to STUnlocker. I've changed my chainring to 32T and you looked in the app for an option to change the chainring size in the app. I found it finally but if I try to change there's a warning that it is not adviced to change this because the E8000 works properly without the change. Previously there's been 38T. So I left it. During my trip the computer reported several W011 errors and the range and distance readings was totally wrong. So can I change the setting to 32T in the app and get rid of the errors and get properly calculated distance/range readings on the display?
Yes, in most cases changing gear size is not required and results in an error.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Yes, in most cases changing gear size is not required and results in an error.

But I didnt change this setting. I only replaced the physical chainring on the bike and getting the errors now. So will that setting help me to make things right?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
But I didnt change this setting. I only replaced the physical chainring on the bike and getting the errors now. So will that setting help me to make things right?
You have the tool to change changerings - try it. I have no experience with this

raymal

Dec 18, 2020
Southampton
If you're f/w is v4.9 you will not be able to change the chainring size with Stunlocker or the Etube apps - I've been getting E010 errors running a 34t with the motor set at 38t (no idea why it was set to 38t in the first place) and even my lbs were unable to change it. The only way I've found to get things straight is using the eMax app which, for some reason, allows you to edit the motor's chainring info --- chain ring size = motor chainring size = no errors(y)(y)

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
If you're f/w is v4.9 you will not be able to change the chainring size with Stunlocker or the Etube apps - I've been getting E010 errors running a 34t with the motor set at 38t (no idea why it was set to 38t in the first place) and even my lbs were unable to change it. The only way I've found to get things straight is using the eMax app which, for some reason, allows you to edit the motor's chainring info --- chain ring size = motor chainring size = no errors(y)(y)
4.9+ does not allow to change gear settings via Bluetooth connection. It's not possible to change it using any other App via Bluetooth. It's possible to change only via PCE interface.
STUnlocker changes gear settings in the same way as ETube, eMax and other Apps. So there are no any benefits to use emax instead of STUnlocker

raymal

Dec 18, 2020
Southampton
4.9+ does not allow to change gear settings via Bluetooth connection. It's not possible to change it using any other App via Bluetooth. It's possible to change only via PCE interface.
STUnlocker changes gear settings in the same way as ETube, eMax and other Apps. So there are no any benefits to use emax instead of STUnlocker
Apologies but I beg to differ regarding eMax - as I've stated, I used it to change my chainring from 38t down to 36t using the mobile app and, as a result, cleared an intermittent fault that's been bugging me for months. I'm no expert on apps or firmware I just ride my bike:cool:

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
My FW is 4.7. Today I've changed the setting to 32T as my chainring is but the computer displayed E010. So I've changed it to 34T and this time after power on/off cycle there's been no errors but still the distance and range are obviously incorrectly calculated. I think I'll switch to 34T physical chainring. It still should be better than the stock 38T and calculations.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
My FW is 4.7. Today I've changed the setting to 32T as my chainring is but the computer displayed E010. So I've changed it to 34T and this time after power on/off cycle there's been no errors but still the distance and range are obviously incorrectly calculated. I think I'll switch to 34T physical chainring. It still should be better than the stock 38T and calculations.
Speed/distance calculations are not related with gears size. The motor uses speed sensor for that. It's not necessary to change front chainring size in the motor's settings.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Hnn... So what's wrong with the system? I've got standard wheels on it. Cranks are shorter however but shouldn't be the reason.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
So I checked this parameter and it is 2240 mm with 0% speed correction on your app. My rear wheel is 27.5x2.6 so it's 2250 circumference which is about 0.5% difference to the app circumference, but my yesterday ride was 35.4 km on the bike computer and 33.74 on my Garmin GPS. Strava app on my phone recorded the same distance as Garmin. The difference is 4.96% between GPS and the bike. It doesn't seem to be caused by the circumference.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
It doesn't seem to be caused by the circumference.
But it does! GPS distance and wheel distance are different things. You can spin the wheel in place or move the bike 2 meters forward / backward and see the increased distance covered. In this case, GPS distance will be 0.
Moreover, Strava and Garmin Apps optimize GPS route, usually they register 5-10m between two GPS points.

Another thing: tire size is not the constant - different tire width or different tire manufacture. So if you want correct speed on your display - find proper wheel circumference value to match your bike.

Last edited:

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
5% is a huge difference and gps is not that inaccurate. I have observed different measurements against gps and the difference was never that big. I'm pretty sure that if I mounted a simple odometer using a sensor on a wheel spoke it wouldn't show the same distance as the steps computer. In my case.

And it's not only about distance. Actual speed is also different.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
5% is a huge difference and gps is not that inaccurate. I have observed different measurements against gps and the difference was never that big. I'm pretty sure that if I mounted a simple odometer using a sensor on a wheel spoke it wouldn't show the same distance as the steps computer. In my case.

And it's not only about distance. Actual speed is also different.
You're answering your own question. Your GPS speed and distance will be accurate. Your Steps system will rely on the wheel size being set correctly. If the wheel size is entered incorrectly, the steps system can only go in the information it has, so it will tell you the wrong result.

As @vadII says, just because you're saying your tyre is X size, doesn't mean it actually is X size in real life. For example, if you mark the ground. Put your rear wheel on the mark with the tyre valve on the mark, roll the bike 10 wheel revolutions with you on the bike and then mark again. Measure the distance and divide by ten, that will give you a more accurate idea of your REAL wheel size.

Tyre pressure, rider weight, temperature will all add more variables to it on a daily basis.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Why do you assume that my tire size is not X in the real life? I have measured the size and the speed/distance difference is more than the circumference difference between real size and the app circumference. Speed correction is 0% in the app as well. I would understand any difference below 1%, but not that big.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Why do you assume that my tire size is not X in the real life? I have measured the size and the speed/distance difference is more than the circumference difference between real size and the app circumference. Speed correction is 0% in the app as well. I would understand any difference below 1%, but not that big.
Do you know that speedometer in your car does not showing correct speed? Usually it shows 10% less than a real speed.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles