new rim suggestions - please...

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
I currently have a focus JamC plus so 27.5" wheels with 40mm rims and plus size 2.8" tyres.
I would like to fit narrower tyres (2.5" max) but I expect this will not fit the existing rims.

Any suggestions for a sensibly priced est of new rims (fully built with the RAT hubs would be useful) perhaps as an upgrade to the existing rims at the same time.

Thanks
M

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Rather than buying a new wheel set why not buy a 2.5 tyre that you like and mount it up and see how it performs? I use a 2.3 tyre on an i35 (internal measurement as some, and probably the ones on your bike, are external measurements) @ 1bar 29" format on the front and a 2.5 WTB Ranger on the same i35, but in 650b, on the back running the same psi.

Came to this conclusion trying lot's of different combo's over the years and I feel like a wider rim has as much to do with the ability to run lower psi, increasing traction without necessarily sacrificing rolling resistance, as the width of the tire. Mainly because any increase in volume can result in the ability to run lower psi.

This also works for road type bikes in that running a 40/45c tire on an i25 rim allows you to use psi's in the 2bar range. All setup tubeless btw.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Rather than buying a new wheel set why not buy a 2.5 tyre that you like and mount it up and see how it performs? I use a 2.3 tyre on an i35 (internal measurement as some, and probably the ones on your bike, are external measurements) @ 1bar 29" format on the front and a 2.5 WTB Ranger on the same i35, but in 650b, on the back running the same psi.

Came to this conclusion trying lot's of different combo's over the years and I feel like a wider rim has as much to do with the ability to run lower psi, increasing traction without necessarily sacrificing rolling resistance, as the width of the tire. Mainly because any increase in volume can result in the ability to run lower psi.

This also works for road type bikes in that running a 40/45c tire on an i25 rim allows you to use psi's in the 2bar range. All setup tubeless btw.

Thanks,
I was thinking of trying a smaller tyre but concerns over the tyre profile on the wide rim. As you said I do run really low pressures on these which helps with the predominantly gravel tracks I use, but it feels a bit heavy in the steering hence the want for a slimmer tyre (up front at least).

I will try the 2.5 on the current rim, can always still upgrade these for weight and lower rolling mass later.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Thanks,
I was thinking of trying a smaller tyre but concerns over the tyre profile on the wide rim. As you said I do run really low pressures on these which helps with the predominantly gravel tracks I use, but it feels a bit heavy in the steering hence the want for a slimmer tyre (up front at least).

I will try the 2.5 on the current rim, can always still upgrade these for weight and lower rolling mass later.
You should try Maxxis WT versions. Maxxis 2.6 WT fits well even to 40 mm wide rim

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
This is a decent guideline. a 40mm rim actually gives you a huge range of tire size options. I would try the 2.5" tires on your existing rims first.

WTBRimTirechart.png

Mabman

Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Thanks,

Now that you have specified the front end your reasons are the same that I use a 2.3/i35 combo. I got a fat bike years ago to see what the hub Bub was all about and the first thing I noticed was the grabby front end. I countered it with the old reverse steer technique from my Moto background and that worked much better. Overall I sold the bike though and never had another.

After I sold that bike my son, who was living in the Bay Area at the time, called and said he needed a single speed to get around on. The one that I got him was a Redline that someone had put Phil hubs and Kris Holm i35 700c rims on. No way I was going to send those wheels along so I replaced them with a set I had in the shed. They languished for a bit until one day I came across them and had some free time so I mounted up some 2.1 Nanoraptors, with tubes, on there and pumped them up to my regular 28 or so psi. Riding around the hood I thought they felt harsh so kept stopping and pissing out air until they went all squirmy. Notably though as the psi decreased the characteristics in regards to traction and small bump compliance, as well as the ginsu steering that I am used to so no need to change tactics there.

Back at the pump they registered 10psi so I pumped them back up to 15 and that is my sweet spot. Even with the tubes I had no pinch flats but those wheels went away in a deal and I had gotten a set of ChiBon i35's for another wheel set and settled on a 2.3 with aggressive knobs as the tire. Pretty much all I will run anymore.

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
I currently have a focus JamC plus so 27.5" wheels with 40mm rims and plus size 2.8" tyres.
I would like to fit narrower tyres (2.5" max) but I expect this will not fit the existing rims.

Any suggestions for a sensibly priced est of new rims (fully built with the RAT hubs would be useful) perhaps as an upgrade to the existing rims at the same time.

Thanks
M
For whatever it's worth, I put 27.5 x 2.6 Ice Spikers on my old HT Raleigh ebike, which came with girthy MD50 wheels - the tires actually measure 2.7" wide at 20psi ?. No problem with tubes, just did a hardy 14 mile romp on snow-crunchy, rooty trails and it handled fine. Maybe a little loss of hard cornering traction...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles