New RideControl App

Wootism

Jun 1, 2020
Trails
My bike (Trance E+2 Pro) completely bricked after the update....
Apparently the new app update has three stages, after the stage 1 update finished ‘succesfully’ my bike turned off and won’t turn on again. No lights, nothing. :(

Thank you Giant for the great apps you make.
Any fancy button combinations I can try before going to my LBS?

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
Mine did exactly the same, turned off and wouldn’t come back on. I swore at it a lot, cursed Giant. Decided I’d removed the battery completely but couldn’t find my key. Went inside for about 30 mins - 1 hour, ate lunch grumpily, found key, went back out, decided to try turning it on one last time before removing the battery and it turned on as normal. So, to summarise, leave it an hour or so and see if it works after that. Good luck, I hope it’s as simple as that.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Mine did exactly the same, turned off and wouldn’t come back on. I swore at it a lot, cursed Giant. Decided I’d removed the battery completely but couldn’t find my key. Went inside for about 30 mins - 1 hour, ate lunch grumpily, found key, went back out, decided to try turning it on one last time before removing the battery and it turned on as normal. So, to summarise, leave it an hour or so and see if it works after that. Good luck, I hope it’s as simple as that.
Popping out the battery with my giants, has become a fairly common thing to do. It reminds my of my first android phone.

Last edited:

Wootism

Jun 1, 2020
Trails
:(
Tried this, including cursing and grumpy lunch, but no luck. :(
Maybe tomorrow.....

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
Continuing report, app sometines does what it should and sometimes not. today it would not even tell my wife how much battery she had.... She is pissed and starting to have Giant....

mussogabriel

Oct 27, 2020
Lima, Peru
Nope, still getting this :(
Ok went to the dealer. They popped out an Android and connected correctly to my bike and did showed the tuning alternatives that do not show up in my iPhone. I tried my iPhone on 5 new bikes on the store and got the same problem. It is an iOS problem. Tried with 2 more iOS devices and got the same problem. The iOS version of the app does not work correctly in some phones. Also, it did not showed up the alternative to update the firmware to the August versión. Not sure if that is available for the Trance X or only for 2020 and earlier bikes. Furthermore I only get 350 in the power mode. Shouldn't it show 360?

19359DE9-AA5C-41B6-8E00-073AA544FF64.jpeg

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Ok went to the dealer. They popped a Android and connected to my bike. I tried my iPhone on 5 new bikes and got the same problem. The iOS version of the app does not work correctly in some phones. Nevertheless, it did not showed up the alternative to update the firmware to the August versión. Furthermore I only get 350 in the power mode. Shouldn't it show 360?

View attachment 45265
Good question about power level support. My android, paired to a 2021 trance shows only 350 as a maximum as well.

mussogabriel

Oct 27, 2020
Lima, Peru
Good question about power level support. My android, paired to a 2021 trance shows only 350 as a maximum as well.
great to know I am not the only one. Couple of questions: 1) do you only get 50 and 75 for ECO mode? 2) what is your software version? 20200723 or 20200806? I believe the new Trance X are not getting the update. Thanks!

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Update V1.1.0 just released.
All works fine on IOS with 2021 Trance X
My software version for 2021 Trance X is 20200916000 (was updated at store when I picked up the bike)
All tuning levels are there ie 360 and 50,75,100 for eco
Have not tried to change them.
Oh and slightly off topic, I find Auto mode terrible

Oldcrank

Jan 5, 2020
Albuquerque NM
Well Dang! iPhone 7+ iOS 14.2
Updated both mine & brides bikes & zero problems. No noticeable ride differences.
iOS RideControl up date yesterday. Couldn’t find a ‘Check for Updates’ in new app. Maybe checks automatically?
?

TheLob

May 23, 2020
Northern Ireland
Well Dang! iPhone 7+ iOS 14.2
Updated both mine & brides bikes & zero problems. No noticeable ride differences.
iOS RideControl up date yesterday. Couldn’t find a ‘Check for Updates’ in new app. Maybe checks automatically?
?
Interested to hear that from Oldcrank, I’ve been waiting to hear some positive comments about the new app. I wonder if the different regions option (speed restriction) still work?

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
I've just given it a go.

The total distance in bike settings does now show the correct distance in miles.

The distance also now shows in the ride tracker ODO, but still shows the Km value rather than Miles

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
Update V1.1.0 just released.
All works fine on IOS with 2021 Trance X
My software version for 2021 Trance X is 20200916000 (was updated at store when I picked up the bike)
All tuning levels are there ie 360 and 50,75,100 for eco
Have not tried to change them.
Oh and slightly off topic, I find Auto mode terrible

same app version for Android, same bike, but problem continue, wrong values for set up, and it doesn't save changes.

Version: 20200620000

I will try to upload the bike with ServiceTool in my dealer, perhaps is the problem.

With the latest app version, did you get and update first time you connected the bike again?

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
that bit was a little odd.

I went to 'updates' in the play store, and it showed the ridecontrol app as well as a few others had an update. I clicked on ride control to see what had changed, but there wasnt an update button.

going back to the updates list, I chose update all, and the ride control app got updated with the others

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
same app version for Android, same bike, but problem continue, wrong values for set up, and it doesn't save changes.

I will try to upload the bike with ServiceTool in my dealer, perhaps is the problem.

With the latest app version, did you get and update first time you connected the bike again?
No updates via the app and I have not tried to make/save changes to the tuning levels (am happy with defaults)

Personally I just use the app to check bike stats and health.

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France

I think the custom values are stored in the RCOne (I have 2 remotes and when I changed from one to the other the settings were different), pretty sure that your issue won't be solved by an app update.
Did you try another remote on your bike to see if parameters are stored properly or to connect your app to another bike ? It is easy to go to your dealer (if he isn't too far away) with just your remote and your phone to make some tests on another available bike there.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Update: Just came back from my LBS and the firmware update apparently killed my RideControl One....so they replaced it with a new one under warranty and everything is working fine :)
What year was yours? I've got a 2019 trance e+ pro1 with all original motor control elements and I'm worried about trying the update its requesting?

Wootism

Jun 1, 2020
Trails
What year was yours? I've got a 2019 trance e+ pro1 with all original motor control elements and I'm worried about trying the update its requesting?
It’s a 2020 Trance E+2 Pro.
If your bike doesn’t turn on after the update, I advice you to leave the battery in and wait a few hours so that the update can be completed in the background.
I took out the battery when it didn’t start up, maybe that was the wrong thing to do. :(

oldmanmx

Jan 19, 2020
Camden NSW
Hey Doc mines 2019 Trance E+3 so electrics are the same and it took to the update fine. I only just rode it up the street so I don't know if it's made any difference

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles