New RideControl App

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The last two days, the app has failed to connect to the bike. So much for having an odometer.

I've not bothered undoing the battery yet.

How do these people (Gaint software development team) keep there jobs?

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
for what it's worth, I think the odometer is stored on the bike, not the app

so if you do manage to connect again, the value should be correct

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
The last two days, the app has failed to connect to the bike. So much for having an odometer.

I've not bothered undoing the battery yet.

How do these people (Gaint software development team) keep there jobs?
Considering that the app only has a few fundamental functions, it boggles the mind why they can’t get it to work.

Unless of course the alloy frame is acting like a faraday cage that’s inconsistently blocking’s the signal?? :unsure::rolleyes:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
We now know with certainty that gaint will not be able to integrate a battery into the frame. Removing the battery is the goto solution for Gaint software bugs.

This is the bright side. Batteries that can't removed from the frame easily, bother me. Lol.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I think all the bluetooth stuff is in the control switch, so shouldnt be effected
You’ve just taken away the only possible lame excuse I could come up with. So which rock are they gonna hide under now?
The “we didn’t think it needed to be tested thoroughly first” rock? ??

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
The OD0 value is sent through ANT+ to all compatible devices when using the ANT+ controller (2020+ models). I can read the odometer value from my xplova x5 evo and others...

I only use the app to check battery health status and change assistance levels when needed. It is useless for any other action.

If I were you I would buy some cheap ANT+ cyclo computer ;)

Cheers!

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The OD0 value is sent through ANT+ to all compatible devices when using the ANT+ controller (2020+ models). I can read the odometer value from my xplova x5 evo and others...

I only use the app to check battery health status and change assistance levels when needed. It is useless for any other action.

If I were you I would buy some cheap ANT+ cyclo computer ;)

Cheers!
Thanks. Not sure if mine has the ant+. I will check.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
My fathom came with the only bluetooth model (2019) but I upgraded to the 2020 model and it was worthy every euro :)

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Just downloaded and updated bike. Looks good.

IMG_3565.jpg

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
Yep, gave up on the last app and I'm giving up on this one as well. I updated the firmware which went fine, but recording rides does not work. I don't know what the deal is with Giant and this app and the previous app. Waste of time and energy. They had the chance to do it right with the new app and they didn't. Shame really.

AdyW

Oct 30, 2020
Buckinghamshire
I used it for the first time today and must admit you have to play around with it. To save the ride you have to hold the stop button down, as when I stopped at first it just stayed on the screen. When I turned the Control unit back on, it is asked if I wanted to save the ride.
Wifey has the new 2021 Liv Embolden E+ with the mini Giant screen (One ANT+) and I managed to sync this with my 2020 Trance E+0 if that helps anyone.

TheLob

May 23, 2020
Northern Ireland
I’m going to pass on this update. I’m using the free version of Relive to record my rides. Hope to hear some good reports about the Ridecontrol app in the future.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I used it for the first time today and must admit you have to play around with it. To save the ride you have to hold the stop button down, as when I stopped at first it just stayed on the screen. When I turned the Control unit back on, it is asked if I wanted to save the ride.
Wifey has the new 2021 Liv Embolden E+ with the mini Giant screen (One ANT+) and I managed to sync this with my 2020 Trance E+0 if that helps anyone.
how did you get the giant screen?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
used the app again yesterday. seemed to actually work fine yesterday, even had a map!!! My wife's biggest complaint is that the adjustability if the power levels is limited. She would like to be able to set whatever level she wants for the different modes. The app does let you adjust but only within a certain parameter, and she would like to turn the lowest level down way further than it will allow

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
Tried the new app today and it worked fine for me as well. Had a map and all the expected functionality. It is a little temperamental about connecting to the bike though, sometimes I have to restart the app.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Today another seamless failure to connect. GAINTS software failures have lost there novelty. Next comes obscurity, then oblivion. Wake up!

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I actually tried to contact Giant. My wife's biggest complaint is that in the lowest ecco mode she can adjust the power output but only within a range and for her it is still way too much power. Soo I asked if there was any other way to change the setting. Obviously the answer was yes you can adjust the power withinn a range and down to 50% power in Ecco mode.......... So again I replied that I know this but I want to be able to go lower. They suggested turning off the motor....... Seriously????? I went on to explain that my Levo, I can set any mode to any level I want even 1% if for some reason I wanted that. Many run Eco at 15% (stock is 35%) Sooo whay can they not allow us to do that??? Surely less power draw cannot hurt???

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
What about the PW-X motor from Yamaha ? is it possible to adjust the assist level by software at any value or like Giant at selected values or no adjustment at all ?

I would like to know if the values are stored inside the motor or in the RC1. I imagine 2 possibilities:
* In the first case, the RC1 is programmed by the App like this : Eco set to value1, normal set to value5, where value1=50%, value2=75%,.. , value11=360%, all values stored in the motor --> not possible to change the values without modifying the motor firmware
* In the second case, the RC1 send to the motor the real percentage for assistance like programmed by the App, 50% or 75% for Eco, and the motor just apply it --> then it should be possible to change each value by modifiying the App.

I cross my fingers, maybe someone who knows how to make it would do an alternative app to drive our bike like for the Levos or for the shimano motor...

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I would love it if someone was able to make a specific app like the Blevo that is for the Levo. I would kill for any way to actually lower the power settings for my wife. She loved my levo, but she is only 5 foot tall and the standover was prohibitive. So enter the LIV with a XS and very low standover. She likes the standover, but hates the app and the fact that she cannot run a lower power setting, she ends up riding with the bike off alot which is worse than riding an analog bike.....

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
Just installed it, and it needed to apply an update to the bike.

one slight bug I've noticed is that if you change measurements under personal details to imperial, the units change from Km to Miles but the value stays the same (In the total miles value, I've not tested live speed/mileage values yet)

I just saw this today too. Anyone figure it out yet? Or is it a bug? I assume the value is Km even when it says Miles?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles