New RideControl App

ArieZ

Oct 10, 2020
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
I installed the new app and gave it a test run today. I only used the old app for firmware updates and to randomly check my battery health so I don't really know what the problems with the old one are. Here is my account of using it a few hours ago. I use a garmin watch to log my rides and I have a data field that reads my battery level and assist level.

After installing the app, which took a very long time to download and install (minor but worth mentioning I guess) I took a quick look around and everything looked nice. The UI is definitely better on the eyes. On first connect I had to do two firmware updates on the bike (2020 Trance 2 Pro). They were labelled as "3/4" and "4/4". I could not let my screen turn off for the updates to work. I got frustrated a few times trying to update because I set my phone on the seat and walked away, if the screen turned off I had to restart. I even looked away for a bit to long and had to restart it once. That being said, when I paid attention and with multiple restarts, the updates went through fine.

I made a couple quick adjustments to my support levels and proceeded to start a new ride log. After 3km I checked on the phone to find that even though my phone and bike had been connected constantly, it logged nothing. It was still reading battery levels and even had a breadcrumb trail on the map but was showing zeros across the board for stats. I reset my bike and restarted my phone and reconnected. Started a new ride log and after a few km everything was working fine. When I got to around 16km I stopped and checked the app again. It was only showing 8km and had an accurate breadcrumb. Battery level, range etc was still showing accurate but by now I had given up on caring about the apps accuracy and continued on using my garmin as the true measurement. Checked my app again around the 25km mark and noticed huge problems with random breadcrumb lines shooting out and back (I was carrying the phone in my pocket so I don't expect gps data to be very accurate). The app was still showing very low kms compared to what I had actually ridden. I kept an eye on it occassionally for the rest of my ride and things continued to be wildly inaccurate. The interesting thing is that after about 15 minutes from finishing my ride the numbers all became accurate. The final number was 3km less than my watch, exactly what it should be after restarting everything. My breadcrumb map is still all over the place but I do expect that from not using a bar mount and keeping the phone in my pocket.

I did feel that my battery capacity was better, I had more juice left when I got home than normal. Typically I ride eco on approaches and use auto mode for trail riding. Auto mode felt good most of the time but occassionally did feel laggy as it did before the update.

Reviewing the post ride info is alright, the UI theme is nice but the graphing is hard to read at times. I appreciate that they include a graph for gps signal quality.

Unfortunately, I do not see an assist level graph nor do I see a battery level graph. Also, immediately after my ride I could see my battery usage (53% which was inaccurate, based on battery levels I used closer to 65-70%). Looking at the ride again now the battery consumption just shows 0%.

Ride time, elevation, distance (eventually) were all accurate.

Like I said, I rarely used the old app. I only logged one ride with it, and now I've only logged one ride with the new app. Based on my incredibly limited experience with the two, the old app worked better. I hope this is a one off and I hope we see some significantly better experiences trickling in in the next few days. Good luck!

ArieZ

Oct 10, 2020
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
I also find it interesting that early when I installed the app I was able to find it on the play store without any links. I can't find it that way anymore, the only way I can see the app on the store is by following the above link.

Noxiller

May 22, 2020
Germany
At least the new app shows total distance of the bike. This is all I was asking for to time my services :D

Installation went smooth as others pointed out already. Two FW updates were necessary.
After turning my bike off and press on again it wouldnt start. But removing the bikes battery for a minute solved the problem.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
Wow all this wait and it sounds like we go a new UI on a still non-functional app. If it cannot accurately track the distance correctly then everything else is useless. It means that even the cumulative miles on the bike are probably also wrong. If the map is off then the only thing we need the app for is to update the firmware? Would be nice to get feedback from someone from Giant. Do you suppose that they did not actually try the app on a bike?

ArieZ

Oct 10, 2020
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Well after I restarted the app mileage was quite accurate despite the bad gps data, even with the breadcrumb line jumping all over the place. It looks like it's calculating the distance data from the bike sensors and not the gps. Which I would say is a big plus. I also looked at my bikes odometer this morning through the app and it's very accurate compared to my garmin data since I got the bike.

Noxiller

May 22, 2020
Germany
It means that even the cumulative miles on the bike are probably also wrong.

If you mean the total mileage on the bike with this (not the trip distance) then I would guess the shown distance is correct. I am quite sure it is not based on GPS mileage but rather calculated internally. So as long as your bike isn´t hacked in any way it should be fairly accurate.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The new app downloaded the firmware needed to connect my 2019 trance. That is an improvement.

My phone has gps issues and even strava doesn't work with my phone, so I didnt expect the ride control app to work any better and it didnt.

Lol. I used the new ride control to upload to strava and below is what I logged.

Screenshot_20201028-120442_Strava.jpg

Here is what the ride control showed for the same ride as above. This is clearly a phone GPS issue. I think the bike logged a fairly accurate ride. GPS to strava... I don't think it's correct.

Screenshot_20201028-120641_RideControl.jpg

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
The app is now in the iOS App Store. It’s a new app called “RideControl App”.

Can’t sign in to the app at all though.

EDIT: looks like it’s only Apple sign in that didn’t work

Last edited:

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
Confirm iOS shows in the morning new app, try to log via fb or apple ID and does not work:mad::mad:. But I create a new account... and honestly, app does not knock me down ...nice layout, strava etc. Still prefer to use Garmin.

helgeni

Aug 27, 2020
Norway
After update everything ok.when i use the app e-bike turn off.Evo light up with logo for one sec then go black.Any solution?

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
I suspect that error is coming up because our bikes are so new that our bike serial #s are not registered in their database. Which may also explain why we are not seeing any tuning capability yet.

Is working for my Trance e+ 1 29er, but if I disconnect the app or the bike then the modes are again as factory setting:

can you guys set up the assist modes with the app???

For me it doesn't save it, is working meanwhile im using the bike, but if I disconnect the app the modes are like factory set up.

Also for Eco mode is just 50 or 75, for older bikes there is also 100 option.

And the point is, if you go to the tunning menu no option is slected for ECO mode, 50 or 75 are not selected.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
ok, on my wife's bike we have tuning, but still the same as on the old app, not like on the Levo, the low setting will not go down any lower than like 30, and my wife would have loved to go below the minimums they allow. We did a 10 mile ride, we stopped about half way for about 5 minutes and when we finished it recorded the first half but it did not restart..

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My ride failed to upload yesterday as well.
Today's ride failed to upload also. Apparently the Gaint app launch is a bit of a flop. Apps bore me anyway. ?

But at least the firmware is updated for what little that is worth, and I now have an odometer and that is handy!

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Today's ride failed to upload also. Apparently the Gaint app launch is a bit of a flop. Apps bore me anyway. ?

But at least the firmware is updated for what little that is worth, and I now have an odometer and that is handy!
That's disappointing...

My old app worked no problem but I haven't used it since I had a poke at it when my 2019 Trance e+Pro was new. It would record and archive a GPS map of my trip (within the app itself) for me to read later.
I opened the app yesterday just to see if it still works, but it said that although it can see my bike - it won't pair until I update my bike firmware/software? From everything I've read so far, it didn't do much for my confidence to mess with my bike so I switched it off and decided to leave my bike alone. :confused:

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
ride 2 on my wife's bike, this time it did good on the distance, but it failed to map at all, I mean no map period. I guess we can hope that Giant has someone here reading this forum???

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
ride 2 on my wife's bike, this time it did good on the distance, but it failed to map at all, I mean no map period. I guess we can hope that Giant has someone here reading this forum???
Mine will not save a map if my phone has GPS in power save mode. With my phone on full gas mode... I get a map, though downloads to strava fail regardless.

percymon

Oct 14, 2020
UK

Why not report / review in the App / Google Play Store - that is probably the most direct line you have to the developers - I can't imagine Giant aren't either reviewing the comments there, or at least asking the developers what the feedback is.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles