New RideControl App

percymon

Oct 14, 2020
UK
screenshot_20201014-131303-2-png.68528

Tmeyer37

Jun 22, 2020
Fremont, CA
I just got this email from Giant today,my new Trance has never connected.
Fingers crossed.
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your email.

We’re sorry to hear of your difficulties with the ridecontrol app, unfortunately we are already aware of the issue and have the app developers looking into it. There is some good news with a completely new app due for release in the coming weeks that has much improved functionality.

We appreciate your patience and trust that you will be able to continue enjoying your ebike while waiting for the new app to be launched.
Pretty sure I saw someone else with the same reply last month. I have given up, my app still connects but I don't use it other than to check for bike updates once in awhile. Just use my Garmin 530 to record rides

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
Pretty sure I saw someone else with the same reply last month. I have given up, my app still connects but I don't use it other than to check for bike updates once in awhile. Just use my Garmin 530 to record rides

I confirm I have already seen this picture some times ago, maybe on EBR...

percymon

Oct 14, 2020
UK
I confirm I have already seen this picture some times ago, maybe on EBR...

Indeed I just posted this across for those not in that community.

As to timescales for being approved and released then the average time for app approvals across Google and Apple appears to be ca 1 week, but thats the average of course. They tend to focus as much on personal info security as anything, so don;t expect them to vet it for usefulness for the Giant ebiker

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
I'm not riding til after Xmas because of a big off and was hoping that I'd have the new app to start giant are pants how hard can it be all the other brands managed it first time ?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
out of curiosity, my wife's Liv, it connects to the old app fine, but it constantly records like 20km when she only did 10 and the speed is always way off. Is there a setting I need to set, or is this just part of how bad the app is?

Tmeyer37

Jun 22, 2020
Fremont, CA
out of curiosity, my wife's Liv, it connects to the old app fine, but it constantly records like 20km when she only did 10 and the speed is always way off. Is there a setting I need to set, or is this just part of how bad the app is?
That's just the crappy app

percymon

Oct 14, 2020
UK
I'm not riding til after Xmas because of a big off and was hoping that I'd have the new app to start giant are pants how hard can it be all the other brands managed it first time ?

Ask a Vado or Como owner what they think of the Specialized BLOKS system, 2017 thru 2019 bikes were returned and had to be half dismantled by local shops to upgrade and resolve some of the issues. Both parties made the same mistakes of the IT / software partners; ebikes are still pretty new technology and rapidly evolving; I don't see some of these issues much different to those of the car world, software over the air updates are patchy at best even on the latest 'premium' brands.

Personally i think half the problem is they are just trying to offer more things as a marketing/sales push to justify prices, much like computers in the 90s - new models came out every year with more features, faster processors and higher prices - those who wanted an adequate home computer had to buy beyond their needs rather than just getting what they needed at reducing technology costs

Simon3

Sep 25, 2020
Wales
..... no I don't think it matters where you are, if you have the old app, go to the Play Store, select your old ride control app in "installed apps" and then click the "Giant company" and you'll see the new app at the top of the list

Last edited:

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
Thank you for the information, I just installed it. You already connected it to your bike, does it update the firmware of the bike ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles