New RideControl App

Jansy123

Jun 10, 2020
New Zealand
Hey all, I remember reading somewhere that Giant acknowledged that their Ridecontrol App had 'room for improvement' and that they were working on a complete redesign.

Does anyone know more info or have any updates to this... or will it become vaporware :)

Hitorogoshi

May 19, 2020
South Africa
Hey all, I remember reading somewhere that Giant acknowledged that their Ridecontrol App had 'room for improvement' and that they were working on a complete redesign.

Does anyone know more info or have any updates to this... or will it become vaporware :)

we are all hoping and praying for it! We should know in September

Elwood

Aug 22, 2020
Auckland
Something has happened with their server as in the last few weeks the app fails to connect to the website now. "error Unknown"
So even the latest App 1.4.5 has been rendered totaly inoperable.
Samsung S9
Huawei p9
Ipad

Elwood

Aug 22, 2020
Auckland
You reckon it will be a simple app update or a completely new app ?
The fact the app rates a 1.2 on App store and there have been unresolved issues reported for quite some time. It may be it is too badly written and too costly to fix. Creating a new app from scratch using good development standards might be be a better outcome. Could be different developers too.

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
I honestly cannot understand how a company the size of Giant can drop the ball this hard. There are software devs all over the flipping globe who could bang out a better app than the current one in a matter of days. Surely every sales manager, product manager, and engineering manager with any responsibilities to Giant ebikes should be making noise on this issue, constantly!

We're not talking millions of $$$'s to develop a new app here, this stuff could be tasked to a bunch of graduates and be created for thousands. It's crazy

Claxxon

Aug 19, 2020
Scotland
I honestly cannot understand how a company the size of Giant can drop the ball this hard. There are software devs all over the flipping globe who could bang out a better app than the current one in a matter of days. Surely every sales manager, product manager, and engineering manager with any responsibilities to Giant ebikes should be making noise on this issue, constantly!

We're not talking millions of $$$'s to develop a new app here, this stuff could be tasked to a bunch of graduates and be created for thousands. It's crazy

Especially when it's such an integral part of owning one of their eBikes,

Mymojoe

Sep 3, 2019
Brisbane

yep, it is a disgrace, you need the app due to the lack of a screen...

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
I hope it can show battery usage in real time also

Elwood

Aug 22, 2020
Auckland
My LBS has updated firmware on my GIANT explorer and the APP 1.4.5 Android /Samsung S9 connected immediately. I'll test ride today.
I asked LBS to send the bill to GIANT NZ on the basis that they blocked their website forcing APP reloads that triggered firmware upgrades which fail so only your LBS can update firmware to make APP usable. Note that for a period of weeks LBS were instructed by Giant NOT to update firmware while they fixed a firmware fault.

Elwood

Aug 22, 2020
Auckland
My LBS has updated firmware on my GIANT explorer and the APP 1.4.5 Android /Samsung S9 connected immediately. I'll test ride today.
I asked LBS to send the bill to GIANT NZ on the basis that they blocked their website forcing APP reloads that triggered firmware upgrades which fail so only your LBS can update firmware to make APP usable. Note that for a period of weeks LBS were instructed by Giant NOT to update firmware while they fixed a firmware fault.
Test ride - The firmware update has affected all ride details from ebike. The speed immediately displayed 26.1kph - while stationary and for duration of ride. It did briefly display 1kph. The saved ride details had no cadence , power or battery usage details.

Mymojoe

Sep 3, 2019
Brisbane
Test ride - The firmware update has affected all ride details from ebike. The speed immediately displayed 26.1kph - while stationary and for duration of ride. It did briefly display 1kph. The saved ride details had no cadence , power or battery usage details.
Yes, this is exactly what happened to me

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
The saved ride details had no cadence , power or battery usage details

Likewise!
Although it has uploaded my last 2 rides, unlike the previous dozen or so.
Unfortunately the uploaded ones show 0 cadence, 0 altitude, 0 battery used, and the distance reading is about 50% more than the actual ride distance.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The new app may be getting closer,

? link below snip
20200920_170831.jpg

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
mmmm..... what are "current model" Giant eMTBs? So does this mean that if you have a 2019 or earlier model you are stuck with the crappy 1.4.5 version?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
We are now in October, does anyone have any updates? My wife just got her Embolden and thusfar, the ridecontrol app keeps reporting like 12 miles on a 5 mile ride.... not to mention on the map it shows a straight line, not the ride itself....

I just got this email from Giant today,my new Trance has never connected.
Fingers crossed.
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your email.

We’re sorry to hear of your difficulties with the ridecontrol app, unfortunately we are already aware of the issue and have the app developers looking into it. There is some good news with a completely new app due for release in the coming weeks that has much improved functionality.

We appreciate your patience and trust that you will be able to continue enjoying your ebike while waiting for the new app to be launched.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles