New rear tire: Specialized Eliminator Grid Gravity T7/T9

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
Hi all, just swapped the rear tire and sharing some feedback for the Specialized Eliminator Grid Gravity T7/T9 29/2.6.

My Giant Trance came with the Maxxis Dissector 29x2.6 EXO+ and it worked well but I wore it out pretty quickly. The Eliminator is MUCH more heavy-duty, thicker all around and weighs quite a bit more. I don't ride much on the pavement but there's noticeably more rolling resistance on the street. On my trails however it's great. Quite a bit more traction climbing and braking especially in dry, rocky loose climbs (typical in Northern California this time of year). Cornering performance is similar to the Dissector, maybe slightly better.

Still running the stock front Maxxis Assegai 29x2.6 EXO and it seems like a good match for the new Eliminator on the back.

Overall I'm happy with the Eliminator, found it at a LBS on sale for $59. A bit more confidence knowing that it would take a really nasty impact to puncture this thing! Nice option if you ride dry chunky rocky loose trails, don't mind some extra rotational mass, and want to save a few bucks.

IMG_5349D.JPG

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
The small tread blocks on the Specialized tyres wear quickly in my experience but this does give them good mud clearance capability (probably not too much of a concern in your terrain). Maxxis DHR2 with a Double Down casing would give similar robustness and might last a little longer. I heard anecdotally that Cheng Shin make the Specialized bike tyres alongside their own brand and Maxxis.

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
The small tread blocks on the Specialized tyres wear quickly in my experience but this does give them good mud clearance capability (probably not too much of a concern in your terrain). Maxxis DHR2 with a Double Down casing would give similar robustness and might last a little longer. I heard anecdotally that Cheng Shin make the Specialized bike tyres alongside their own brand and Maxxis.

Thanks for the info, I've heard anecdotal reports that the Eliminator Gravity has good longevity in dry rocky terrain, we'll see about that :)

I'm not surprised that Cheng Shin makes them, I bet it's similar in construction to a CST or Maxxis tire.

In the dirt bike world Maxxis & CST are at the lower end of the market. Glad to see they've made it up-market for MTB tires, they earned it, It seems their MTB business puts in much more R&D than their motorcycle counterparts.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Good to know, I won two of these from Australian MTB magazine and haven't used them yet. They look pretty heavy duty.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Thanks for the info, I've heard anecdotal reports that the Eliminator Gravity has good longevity in dry rocky terrain, we'll see about that :)

I'm not surprised that Cheng Shin makes them, I bet it's similar in construction to a CST or Maxxis tire.

In the dirt bike world Maxxis & CST are at the lower end of the market. Glad to see they've made it up-market for MTB tires, they earned it, It seems their MTB business puts in much more R&D than their motorcycle counterparts.

Recently the quality of Maxxis is horrible. Every single tire has a wobble. I finally pull a trigger on Continental Argotal. The difference in quality is mind blowing. I'll do a proper review soon.

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
Recently the quality of Maxxis is horrible. Every single tire has a wobble. I finally pull a trigger on Continental Argotal. The difference in quality is mind blowing. I'll do a proper review soon.

The Argotal sounds like a great choice, I'll keep an eye out for your review. Looks like that may be my next tire! From my road bike days I would always gravitate towards Continental, the quality was top notch.

The OEM Maxxis Assegai/Dissector combo that came on my Trance were true, bummer that their quality has gone down. For the price they should be better.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Hi,

I’ve just swapped the OEM tyres on my Trance X E+1 to Maxxis Rekon. They offer way less rolling resistance on UK Summer dry bridleways. Got a few Strava KOMs and it was obviously the tyres. I ran them at 24psi which a bit higher than the OEMs at 20. But eff me £55 each!!

IMG_2744.jpg

Last edited:

jacksonlui

Oct 8, 2022
san diego
Eliminators seems to flat easily. My dissector has lasted longer eventhough it wears faster. I'm chucking my eliminator with less than 50 miles in the trash.

Chrysaor

Apr 12, 2021
Switzerland
Eliminators seems to flat easily. My dissector has lasted longer eventhough it wears faster. I'm chucking my eliminator with less than 50 miles in the trash.
On my eliminator (soil searching edition) I had two flats I was able to plug and then the tire started to split at the bead. It was been taken under warranty by specialized, but I will wait next spring to put it back, running HR2 DD in winter.
You might got a defective one as well?

jacksonlui

Oct 8, 2022
san diego
Doesn't matter. I'm not going to use that pos. I don't trust it. I've ordered some DHR2 I'm DD. I don't understand not running a DD on a full fat.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles