New rear rim... advice please

LeeSeb83

Jun 1, 2020
Cornwall
So I’ve managed to seriously dent the standard rim on my Rail 7. It’s holding air at the moment so is still rideable but I know it’s on borrowed time.
My question is, what rims have people changed out the stock set for? I’ve looked at several manufacturers but there are so many options, I’m worried I’ll order something wrong. Also, my LBS has had such a surge of work come in that there a 4 week wait before they’ll even allow me to take my bike in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 7, 2020
West Midland, UK
EX511 are good wheels, I was running them on a Cube 160 and they had been solid. recently changed to a Rail and hated the wheels it came with as the rear hub kept coming loose. I went for Spank 359's and so far I much prefer them over the EX511, they cost less but seem much better quality. time will tell if they hold up as good as the EX511's did but they did come with some spare spokes if needed which hopefully I won't ever need.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
So I’ve managed to seriously dent the standard rim on my Rail 7. It’s holding air at the moment so is still rideable but I know it’s on borrowed time.
My question is, what rims have people changed out the stock set for? I’ve looked at several manufacturers but there are so many options, I’m worried I’ll order something wrong. Also, my LBS has had such a surge of work come in that there a 4 week wait before they’ll even allow me to take my bike in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I'm in the same boat as you, I refuse to buy a complete wheel as the line comp 30 hubs are actually pretty decent. According to Trek the rims are 589ERD, I've searched and searched and can't find a direct replacement, let alone one that's any stronger. Being 28 hole really limits choice as well. I've picked up a DT swiss E532 locally and will measure up for new spokes when it comes through. I like rims with eyelets so i can crank up the spoke tension....

Trek weren't very helpful when I asked about getting hold of another Line comp rim. "Take the wheel to a trek authorised dealer, they'll send the wheel to us where we can rebuild it for you." Uhhhhhh, no, how about you stop making your rims out of fromage?!

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
Buy yourself some Nextie/LightBicycle rims and swap out the hubs and spokes to the new rims.

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Shillington, Bedfordshire
I went for the dt swiss H1700 wheels, bought separately when I could afford them. I think a similar rim is the ex511 or Hx531. I've done 1350 miles on my trek, the hubs have needed new bearing already and still sound hollow. I use the dt swiss wheels in rocky areas and keep the originals for my local hills. A spare set of wheels is a good investment for an ebike.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
At the risk of discussing the obvious, if you only want to replace the rim (and not spokes) you'll need the same rim or one that has an identical ERD and spoke hole layout. Otherwise you'll need new spokes/nipples as well (don't reuse nipples).

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
At the risk of discussing the obvious, if you only want to replace the rim (and not spokes) you'll need the same rim or one that has an identical ERD and spoke hole layout. Otherwise you'll need new spokes/nipples as well (don't reuse nipples).
And if I was to mullet the rear would I be able to just get a 27.5 rim & spokes & reuse the hub?

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
And if I was to mullet the rear would I be able to just get a 27.5 rim & spokes & reuse the hub?
As long as your new rim matches the spoke count of the old, which I think on the Bontys is 28. If you could afford a whole wheel I would go that way, and get one with 32 spokes, and have a stronger wheel for the back. Spank do offer great bang for buck on their wheels, I've got a set on my other bike, seem very good quality

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
@LeeSeb83 When I dinged my Trek Bontrager Line Comp rim I bought a brand new Bontrager rim for £25 (from Evans - special order), re-laced the spokes from the old rim to the new rim, then took the loosely built wheel to a bike shop who trued it for £15. The hub and spokes were relatively new at the time, so it seemed a waste to just bin the wheel. And it was certainly less than a new wheel.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
@LeeSeb83 When I dinged my Trek Bontrager Line Comp rim I bought a brand new Bontrager rim for £25 (from Evans - special order), re-laced the spokes from the old rim to the new rim, then took the loosely built wheel to a bike shop who trued it for £15. The hub and spokes were relatively new at the time, so it seemed a waste to just bin the wheel. And it was certainly less than a new wheel.
After 6 months my rear line comp rim looks like a rat-chewed Pringle. The quicker I can swap them for something DT Swiss the better ?

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
My original Alu rear looks like a mess after a 8 months. Bought a set of Carbon Bontrager for a very good price. Was very happy with them for 5 weeks until I blew the rear one apart yesterday.

B9052790-DD6C-49F6-A81F-A48A007F75A6.jpeg

6C990CB1-8F82-4FA1-B366-1B999AB04788.jpeg

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
I had a pair of 29" Santa Cruz Reserve rims built up on Chris King hubs for use on my Turbo Levo. The Reserve rims are guaranteed for life and the CK hubs will last me out of my riding days( I am 72!). Completely brilliant, tough , strong and they hold the air brilliantly- regularly run them sub 20psi and never had a flat-pinch or otherwise.

Due to my imminent ( I hope), acquisition of a new Spesh S works Gen 3 frame, I will be rebuilding my rear wheel using a new 27.5 SC Reserve rim on the CK Hub.

That means I will have a spare 29" SC Reserve rim. Mail me if you are interested.

Geoff

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Yup. My friend trashed his first set as well. Should probably put some cushcore in the replacement rim when it arrives

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
So a quick update, replaced the line comp 30 rims with DT E532. Used the bontrager hubs, DT double butted spokes ALL of them at 284mm long and 14mm DT alloy nipples. I always oil the threads and eyelets when building. Was a nice easy build and the silver spokes with red nipples look old skool cool ?

At least now if I demolish a rim I can get one off the shelf.

While I was putting the back wheel on I noticed the chainring was loose, like really loose. 7 months of trouble free riding and the bloody thing has decided to start playing up! At least I caught it before it chewed my chainstay to bits.

IMG_20210515_170507.jpg
IMG_20210515_174756.jpg
IMG_20210515_174742.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles