NEW OWNER - Jam2 6.8 2019 Plus

JonnyM

Oct 15, 2019
Cambridge, UK
Just put a deposit down on a 2019 Jam2 6.8 Plus.
Been researching for a few months, was considering a Specialized Levo Turbo but all 2019 stock sold out. Rutland Cycles pointed me in the direction of the Focus Jam2 and having looked into it and tested one I must say I'm impressed.
I'm picking it up on Friday and taking it up to Norfolk for the weekend and can't wait to try some easy 20-30 mile woodland trails.
Anything I need to check or do before my first outing?
PS - Got hell of a deal through Rutland Cycles / £2899!

JonnyM

Oct 15, 2019
Cambridge, UK
No mate, not that I know of. Rode that bike in Germany with FOCUS. It's a great handling bike...The bang for your buck on FOCUS is amazing.

Enjoy and let me know how you get on!!
I know, the value is unreal, especially for the price I got it. Convinced myself it's a great first emtb and then after 12-18 months I can decide whether to upgrade with something else if I (hopefully) get into it :)

Thanks for the reply!

JonnyM

Oct 15, 2019
Cambridge, UK
Go careful, up those steep climbs.. (y);)
You obviously speak from experience, those Fenland hills are notorious :p
The closest trail to me is 17ft below sea level!! It then climbs to a massive 25ft so I'm taking oxygen with me!
Abut 20 mins drive I can get to High Lodge at Thetford. It offers some nice little rollers so looking forward to trying those in a few weeks.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
You obviously speak from experience, those Fenland hills are notorious :p
The closest trail to me is 17ft below sea level!! It then climbs to a massive 25ft so I'm taking oxygen with me!
Abut 20 mins drive I can get to High Lodge at Thetford. It offers some nice little rollers so looking forward to trying those in a few weeks.

Man alive - that's like climbing Everest out here! :)

I'm a 20 minute bike ride from HL myself, so if you wanted a ride buddy one day, then shout me up.. We can go 'en masse', round the Beaters and/or the Burner trails.. I'll even tell you where to park for free, saving you a fortune, if you wanna make HL your go to skid..(y)

JonnyM

Oct 15, 2019
Cambridge, UK
Man alive - that's like climbing Everest out here! :)

I'm a 20 minute bike ride from HL myself, so if you wanted a ride buddy one day, then shout me up.. We can go 'en masse', round the Beaters and/or the Burner trails.. I'll even tell you where to park for free, saving you a fortune, if you wanna make HL your go to skid..(y)

Cool, thanks for the offer to join, I'll try the bike and do some local trails, get the fitness up and then get in touch :)

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Great deal on a lovely bike ! I had a test ride on a 6.8 Plus and was planning to buy a 2020 one, though went for an Orbea in the end.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Nice, from Rutland Cycles?

I have found Rutland Cycling to be a great company, welcoming and very good customer service. They robbed a demo bike of a lower shock mounting bolt to keep my bike going when a new one would have taken a couple of weeks! A few weeks later when I was in the shop on a non-bike related matter, one of the service guys recognised me and gave me two bolts for free. They were marked at £5.99 each!

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
Well done, I think you’ll love the bike.

I did similar a year ago buying a 2018 Plus from my LBS for £2,500 and I‘ve upgraded the forks from Recons to Pikes, changed the tyres to Minions, bought a tec pack for long range for occasional big days out plus a few minor changes like the grips. have still spent less than £4K and love the bike - I even like the saddle!

Stanny_uk

Oct 15, 2019
Uk
Yep I'm on same deal with 200 quid voucher ain't rode it yet.. Only odd thing is bars???!! Wtf are they all about?? 0 rise and bent back.. Bin Monday.. Other than that. Sweet

JonnyM

Oct 15, 2019
Cambridge, UK
Yep I'm on same deal with 200 quid voucher ain't rode it yet.. Only odd thing is bars???!! Wtf are they all about?? 0 rise and bent back.. Bin Monday.. Other than that. Sweet
exactly my thought, the bars are shite. Instand wrist ache. Mo idea what to get as a replacement, or grips. Keep me posted what you go for :)

boneht

Sep 22, 2019
oxon
I've been tempted by this offer from Rutland, just put off by the battery size. Interested to see what range you get.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I've been tempted by this offer from Rutland, just put off by the battery size. Interested to see what range you get.

Focus used to see this smaller and lighter?! battery as their USP and they certainly convinced me of its advantages and I went ahead and bought an aluminium Drifter. I now consider it to be the bike's Achilles heel, a view possibly confirmed by Focus' decision to do what looks like phasing it out.

My Jam2 does nowhere near the range my Spectral On does (same motor, 504wh battery) and weighs about the same.

The Jam is a great looking, riding and constructed bike and if your rides tend to be shortish you'll be more than happy with the bargain.

steve_acp

Aug 14, 2019
Clun
Congrats on a great purchase.. I got the same bike from Rutland. I bought the tech pack as I live in the Shropshire hills and a typical ride has 3000 ft of climb, however I can ride 20 miles with 3000 feet on the internal battery, so not too bad. I borrowed a Levo COMP carbon for the same ride, and the battery ran out... not sure if It was at fault, or the Brose motor uses more juice, but that’s what happened.

I rode Thetford the other week, went round the red course twice, and only used 2 bars of 5 on the internal battery.

The best mod is the StUnlocker app. It lets you set the bike to US mode, so you don’t hit the 25KM brick wall... which you will do all of the time around thetford. 32KPH, or 20 mph makes for a much smoother experience.it also showed that my bike had been factory set wrongly with a wheel circumference of 3000mm, which explained why my max speeds on the bike were not captured on Strava.

Rutland have a good service contract too, which I think is worth getting for an ebike.. check it out!
EC9E57B1-8AFB-4FE8-A5F0-C58AFD317BC9.jpeg

get ready for a lot of fun!

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Well done on a good choice ..Fantastic price ....did it include the TEC pack.
Live 40 mins from Thetford so if you guys plan a ride let me know please......BUT old farts seldom travel @ 20mph!!....except in my Lotus:cool:

Promise not to bring the Grandchildren
Chelsey and kids  Thetford.JPG

Last edited:

boneht

Sep 22, 2019
oxon
Focus used to see this smaller and lighter?! battery as their USP and they certainly convinced me of its advantages and I went ahead and bought an aluminium Drifter. I now consider it to be the bike's Achilles heel, a view possibly confirmed by Focus' decision to do what looks like phasing it out.

My Jam2 does nowhere near the range my Spectral On does (same motor, 504wh battery) and weighs about the same.

The Jam is a great looking, riding and constructed bike and if your rides tend to be shortish you'll be more than happy with the bargain.

Yeah my fear is the 378 battery will usually not quite last the whole ride.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Yeah my fear is the 378 battery will usually not quite last the whole ride.

Mine didn't and the TEC pack is a bit of a lump to drag around with you.
My rides are usually 35/40 mile XC around the Derbyshire Dales and the Peak District though. My Spectral On copes with this easily but I've never even managed 30 miles on my Jam2.
If you are a trail centre rider you should be ok, and they are a bit of a bargain now they are trying to get rid of them.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles