New motor protector available for Meta Power

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
The new beefed up motor protector is available for the Meta Power, but the bad news is that it's two piece design and it will cost 2x40€
downtube protector
drive unit protector
W19MPWPROTECDT_2000.jpg
W19MPWPROTECMT_01_2000.jpg

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If Commencal believe it is required (otherwise why design and produce one for sale?), then why aren't they retro-fitting to all existing bikes free of charge?

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
I'm on my second one, which only lasted 3 months before it started tearing. I used self adhesive fiberglass drywall tape and resin on the bottom damaged area, and removed the unused tape, was going to do the whole guard, but was told it might crack, so just make a plate for the bottom. I didn't think it was going to hold. but is working well. Should hold me till I can think of a better solution. Was told by Commencal Europe that those that request one, should be able to get an upgraded one. I am in the US, so don't have the same CS as you'all.
1544316100980.png
1544316078901.png
1544316059295.png
1544316033694.png

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
They should be offering a discount to 2018 customers who want to upgrade , they admitted they didn’t have time to sort a decent bash guard . I guess £90 to protect a £1000 motor could be cheap in the long run , still grips my shit though

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
They should be offering a discount to 2018 customers who want to upgrade , they admitted they didn’t have time to sort a decent bash guard . I guess £90 to protect a £1000 motor could be cheap in the long run , still grips my shit though
I'm not sure about the protection level of the new design - it looks to me like some cheap plastic - but it might worth a try asking them, I would upgrade it for 40€. For more than that, I will have one made from kevlar. I have a friend who's making parts for rally cars and the kevlar he uses for underfloor protection should be better than the two plastic for 80€.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis

This is a good idea. I have a modification that might be even better. Rather than fiberglass tape, Big box home improvement stores sell structural fiberglass mat for cheap as well as the resin and harden for around $20usd. I'm going to bank off your idea and give it a go. I think I can get the fiberglass flexible by adding less resin, and do both sides. Some Matt black spray paint will make it pretty again

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx

This is a good idea. I have a modification that might be even better. Rather than fiberglass tape, Big box home improvement stores sell structural fiberglass mat for cheap as well as the resin and harden for around $20usd. I'm going to bank off your idea and give it a go. I think I can get the fiberglass flexible by adding less resin, and do both sides. Some Matt black spray paint will make it pretty again

Sounds good! Post up your results. Thanks

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Yea, Commencal France came through. I'm in the US, I had messaged Commencal about the bashguard problem back in May. Was told they were working on it and if I gave my name and address. I would be put on the list when version 2 came out. I had given up hope when the Mailman knocked on my door today with a package from Commencal France with the new 2 piece protector. Thanks!!! Commencal. Thick hard plastic, should fair better than version 1.

commi1.jpg

commie2.jpg

commie3.jpg

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
You saying they sent you one Foc ?? They are about £90 plus postage
Just had s new motor from them so better not ask again so soon

Crust E. Skidmark

Nov 1, 2018
'Merica
I can attest to the strength and durability of the new bashguard. Mine has taken some HUGE hits and other than some deep gouges it's still in one piece. If I had the old one I'd definitely buy and install the new one. That motor is WAY too fragile and expensive to risk it.

GOSBTS

Sep 24, 2018
Sussex
I have a 2019 Meta Power Race with one of these, to be honest I'm not that impressed, the top section (the smaller of the two pieces) pulls through the retaining bolt at the top and flaps around. I've installed a big washer to stop it reoccurring but it looks sh1te. Needs a better bolt with a bigger head and a rounded profile.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I have a 2019 Meta Power Race with one of these, to be honest I'm not that impressed, the top section (the smaller of the two pieces) pulls through the retaining bolt at the top and flaps around. I've installed a big washer to stop it reoccurring but it looks sh1te. Needs a better bolt with a bigger head and a rounded profile.
That front fixing bolt is inadequate for a heavier guard , I guess a few tie wraps around the tube would do the job , or a nice mtbstapon strap

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
Yes, I noticed that when installing, thought I was missing a washer. I'll go ahead and add one before it pulls through. Paint it black so its not too noticeable

Crust E. Skidmark

Nov 1, 2018
'Merica
Same issue with the upper guard as well. I just added thread locker to the bolt and didn’t reef it down. Been fine since. Upper bolt just keeps it vertical.

jsalas2

Apr 6, 2018
San antonio, Tx
The bottom actually snaps in place, so there is no weight on the flap piece on top. I'm just gonna file the sides of a small washer flat to fit in the slot where the bolt is. Should look stealthy

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
I ordered both of the new protectors last week from Commencal US site. Still haven't seen any shipping info yet so I'm thinking they might be out of stock, I'll send them an email shortly. I've taken a few good hits on the motor and the current protector in my opinion does little to protect.

Al-Rider

Oct 14, 2018
Lisboa, Portugal
Yes. I didn't have enough carbon fiber to make it 100% carbon. I did 2 layers of carbon fibre on the outside and 2 layers of glass fibre on the inside. After 24h curing at room temperature I "cooked" for 2h at 150°C in my kitchen oven. It's rock solid now ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles