New models - little or no airplay

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
Hello All,
Since a few weeks, KTM has released 2019 e-bikes (such as the kapoho 2791), which seem to address some of the issues with the previous ones. Compared to my 2017 Kapoho 271:
- better brakes
- better fork
- shorter cranckarms
- higher Bottom Bracket
- (of course, intube)
But, these seem to be kept off the radar in the press/reviews - which is weird, given that KTM, together with Haibike, was one of the early EMTB adopters bringing out a full E-range.

While I do find the issue with the (too low-) bottom bracket troublesome, I don't see the need to upgrade yet. Of course, aesthetics dictate the use of intube battery these days, but the downsides (difficult to take a spare battery, higher weight balance) outweigh the technical advantages (...none?).

Sidecaer#64

Jan 3, 2019
Andover,Hampshire
eBike Specifications
  • Battery Powertube horizontal 13,4Ah - 500Wh
  • Motor Bosch Drive Unit 36V-250W, 25km/h Performanceline CX - 75Nm
  • Display Kiox on-board computer with remote
  • Brakes Shimano XTR M9120 4-Piston/ Rotor 203-180 Freeza
  • Fork Fox 36 A Float, Perf., GRIP, 3Pos.L, T-15x110 29" -Ø36, 160mm, tapered alu, QR15x110
  • Frame Macina Kapoho 27.5"+ (Bosch Gen:2) 4-linkage POP System - LT 160mm, boost 148mm for Powertube-integrated Battery - horizontal
  • Grips KTM Team VLG--775-12D2 Diamond fin/2 Clamps
  • Lights KTM light link (cable pre-installation for light equipment)
  • Pedals VP-539 black
  • Rear Derailleur Shimano XTR M9100 SGS-shadow +
  • Seatpost Kindshoc LEV-DX, Dropperpost,external 30,9
  • Shift Levers Shimano XTR M9100-12
  • Stem KTM Ahead 11° JD-ST218A for Kiox Display
  • Tyres Schwalbe Magic Mary, 60-622, evo,s-kin, TL-easy
  • Weight 23,8 kg without pedal
  • Wheel Make and Size KTM Line CC 27.5" Ambrosio / Shimano Deore Boost 110 / 148
  • Charger Type Standard-Charger 4A

799405103_MACINA KAPOHO 2971 S-43_black matt (orange)_77(1)-800x500.jpg

Sidecaer#64

Jan 3, 2019
Andover,Hampshire
The KTM brand is not big in England as is my Bergamont which i have had for just over a year, bought secondhand and have loved ever wet and dirty moment of it. Dont get me wrong i loved my specializied clock work bikes i had previous, and could get a good deal for the new levo or keno, but as you see from my user photo i like to be diferant. Would'nt mind a little play on this for a couple of months........ if someone wants me to test it. im sure i could do it some damage?

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
bad as hell! that is the best looking bike i’ve ever seen. thanks for posting. im quite happy with my levo, but that would have tortured me if i’d seen that when i was deciding what to buy.

kick that mutha!!!

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
All this in frame concealed battery on new bikes just for easthetics , ? the choice of practical external batteries will be hard to find soon . There’s no way my home or riding could cope with internal batteries , my missus would go mad if I brought the bike indoors to charge and store in the winter , and I can’t afford to heat the shed or garage .

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
I´ve done a kapoho test ride some time ago and I must say it was very importante in my decision off buying an e-bike, but I didn´t went for the KTM due price.
Yes, the batterie can be charged on board or removed and charged elsewere.

Sidecaer#64

Jan 3, 2019
Andover,Hampshire
yep the price is a bit steep, my advise is try if possible buy second hand, i no it comes with some pit falls, but i no a few shops sell second hand bikes and if its from a good bike shop i'm sure you would be able to negotiate some form of warrentey??? that's what i did i would love to spend £5-6-7000 on a nice new sparkley blinged bike, but i cant i brought mine for just over £2000 just over a year ago and i got a good warrentey pack as well.

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
I suppose KTM doesn't focus on the UK al that much, not need they, since demand outpaces production. As I am spending considerable time in Austria, I have gotten to know them by renting a KTM there a few years back, and I've stuck with them since.

The transition towards intube powerpacks means that you can get nice deals on old-shape powerpacks - picked up a 500w for just EUR 500. Add to that a Powerpack Rucksack, and you're all set for 100km daytrips.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I suppose KTM doesn't focus on the UK al that much, not need they, since demand outpaces production. As I am spending considerable time in Austria, I have gotten to know them by renting a KTM there a few years back, and I've stuck with them since.

The transition towards intube powerpacks means that you can get nice deals on old-shape powerpacks - picked up a 500w for just EUR 500. Add to that a Powerpack Rucksack, and you're all set for 100km daytrips.
It’s still easier and cheaper without the built in battery , both to fit/ change over , and carry but you highlight another potential problem with bike specific batteries , they are already becoming obsolete . As some bikes get older the batteries will become dealer only and the excuse to charge a premium will be likely .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles