Article New Merida EMTB Coming on May 29th

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Something new is coming from Merida. Spotted on their Instagram page, a video, with the references to E-ONESIXTY, and the tag ‘TRUE LEGACY X REINVENTED’. The current E-ONESIXTY is still a top bike, but looking a bit dated with its design.

The release date looks like its set in as the 29th May, so not long to go at all until all is revealed. Until then, check out the video and keep an eye of for more teasers on their channel.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Pic:

merida.jpg

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Will look nice with an integrated battery, I wonder if this will be the premium version and they’ll still supply the outgoing model.

I’m guessing they’re sticking with Shimano, seems slightly odd they wouldn’t wait for an updated motor.

Last edited:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I think there’s a few BT-E8035-based bike updates coming. My bet, the “E9000” is mounting compatible with the E8000/E7000.

Laker123

Nov 15, 2018
New Zealand
Merida just put a teaser up on their Facebook page for the new Eone-Sixty. With more to be reviled on May 29th. Have included a screen shot of the bike from what was shown in the teaser, looks like in tube battery is confirmed.

Here is a link to the Facebook post:

F0EF174F-9D1B-4953-90CB-3DF93BE2D0A0.jpeg

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
The new e160 could get a 170mm fork, just like the e120 has 130mm. Will be interesting to see if there's more models released. We'll know the 29th at 08:00am CEST.

Laker123

Nov 15, 2018
New Zealand
The new e160 could get a 170mm fork, just like the e120 has 130mm. Will be interesting to see if there's more models released. We'll know the 29th at 08:00am CEST.
Yep not long to wait pretty excited although will dread to see the pricing. Rob will have to do another review considering his one negative was the looks, well now it’s integrated hopefully it rises just as nice as the current model.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
well we know they will be using the new Shimano intube battery, but I do wonder if hey will “borrow” the 700wh tech from Specialized

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
I know it will look prettier but it will still look like an EMTB with that Shimano motor so I don't see the point of making it internal, the only internal battery I want is the Fazua system as it looks almost normal & the battery size means that you can carry a spare without hauling a massive pack.

Last edited:

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
well we know they will be using the new Shimano intube battery, but I do wonder if hey will “borrow” the 700wh tech from Specialized
As far as I know there won't be a bigger battery... for now. But they're working on it. I guess they're limited by the size/volume of the BT8035 battery, hopefully energy density has improved enough by next year. I believe we'll know more about this on wednesday too.

What I'm hoping for from the new e160 is a clever way of integrating the battery that requires no complicated frame design or reinforcement. This will keep cost and weight down and you're basically getting most of the benefits of an external design in an internal (detachable) battery frame.

Last edited:

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I don't get the thing about wanting to make an EMTB look "normal", its not an MTB, its an EMTB, I want a good looking EMTB, not one that's failing to try and look like a normal bike.

Completely agree. I like a nicely constructed frame that exposes all of the components, even a battery. When I see a nicely set up bike with water bottle, pump, tube, tools etc... I think it looks cool, it’s not trying too hard.

Forgive me for my sins but I’m not a fan of the big crank area and rounded lines of the Levo, give me a few angles and a small exposed motor any day.

I guess variety is the spice of life. I still think integrated batteries look good, but I don’t see them as innovation, more of a marketing play with a dash of engineering.

Last edited:

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Take it with a grain of salt but a local bike shop said top model will be full carbon and come with an addittional battery and backpack and will cost a shit ton of money. This is an Australian bike shop so for us he was talking 12-14k whereas the top model currently can be had for 6.5k

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
Take it with a grain of salt but a local bike shop said top model will be full carbon and come with an addittional battery and backpack and will cost a shit ton of money. This is an Australian bike shop so for us he was talking 12-14k whereas the top model currently can be had for 6.5k

My Merida dealer also says "Carbon"

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
No, its got a totally different battery set up, suspension design, and you can fit a water bottle. Similar silhouette though

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I don't get the thing about wanting to make an EMTB look "normal", its not an MTB, its an EMTB, I want a good looking EMTB, not one that's failing to try and look like a normal bike.
I think the push for the integrated battery is marketing. There are still many people on the fence regarding to ebikes and they can be turned with the ‘non-ebike looking ebike’. Yes, it’s still visibly an ebike but they feel better about it somehow.
Personally, I prefer external battery because for me it’s more convenient than the integrated in many ways... and I’m not ashamed riding my ebike looking Meta Power.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I think the push for the integrated battery is marketing. There are still many people on the fence regarding to ebikes and they can be turned with the ‘non-ebike looking ebike’. Yes, it’s still visibly an ebike but they feel better about it somehow.
Personally, I prefer external battery because for me it’s more convenient than the integrated in many ways... and I’m not ashamed riding my ebike looking Meta Power.

I appreciate good, well thought out design, engineering and aesthetics. Heres my favourite looking Ebike.

DSCF2346-Edit.jpg

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I appreciate good, well thought out design, engineering and aesthetics. Heres my favourite looking Ebike.
Yes, this looks awesome no question about it and currently the best concept with the removable motor/battery unit.
For me, a bike with external battery can look awesome too - like the e160 especially in green. Personally, I find the geometry, handling, practicality, value for money more important than the look itself so I really hope the bikes with external batteries will not go away completely. The ‘integration’ in many cases mean proprietary batteries (and chargers) that cannot be easily removed from the frame, different weight balance (higher center of gravity) etc. which I don’t like. What I really like is that I can swap batteries between my Commencal and my wife’s Canyon. These bikes will not turn the most heads at the coffee stops that’s for sure but they ride awesome. ?

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Yes, this looks awesome no question about it and currently the best concept with the removable motor/battery unit.
For me, a bike with external battery can look awesome too - like the e160 especially in green. Personally, I find the geometry, handling, practicality, value for money more important than the look itself so I really hope the bikes with external batteries will not go away completely. The ‘integration’ in many cases mean proprietary batteries (and chargers) that cannot be easily removed from the frame, different weight balance (higher center of gravity) etc. which I don’t like. What I really like is that I can swap batteries between my Commencal and my wife’s Canyon. These bikes will not turn the most heads at the coffee stops that’s for sure but they ride awesome. ?
I agree, but unfortunately it’s unlikely there will be many new bikes released moving forward without integrated batteries. It’s a combination of marketing, focus group led design (“Which bike do you prefer sir - the one with the battery hump or the prettier one?”) and the self fulfilling factor of an ever increasing number of manufacturers going integrated. It will become increasingly risky to release a new bike with an “old fashioned” external battery, but I suspect there will be a market for them at least until Li ion is replaced by next gen battery tech, particularly in the colder countries. My bet is Canyon will be last to go full integrated.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles