New member looking for first bike

Turbo Dave

Jan 16, 2020
Uk
Hello all

I am a middle aged man looking at getting my first e bike
I have watched alot of reviews but cannot really demo anything except a levo and near me and with work constraints don't want to waste full days driving miles to test.

My wife has a trance e2 which I do like however I would prefer a large

Im 5"10 103kg
I would say my Max budget is 5500

Bikes I have in mind
Levo
Cube stereo 160 action or tm
Giant trance e0 or 1
Giant reign

I have ridden all these around car parks and all felt the same tbh as I have very little experience a bike feels like a bike so to speak
My budget is 5500 max
The bike will be kept for 3 years and used to
Trail centres
And forest paths etc I want something that will last me that time and not want an upgrade to quick as I gain confidence/abilty

My skill level is low not jumped much before but not afraid to have a go or drop off stuff I'm a builder so u can imagine I'm a lump and land hard lol

Any advise input appreciated

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
All good bikes.
All I can say is I had a 2019 Cube 160 size S and now a 2020 140 Cube M size and I´m more than happy with it. Very good bang for the buck.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I have a Comp Levo 2020 that I bought from my LBS, 5 min away. They lent me their demo 2019 Levo Carbon Comp for 3 days so I could have a proper test. Having lived with the Levo for 3+ months my advice is:
Buy from a good LBS that has a good relationship with the supplier. I have had 2 issues, bent saddle and fork compression not "right" new saddle authorised by Specialized from a photograph and fork serviced by SRAM.
Levo Comp is great out of the box, no need to change anything.

Turbo Dave

Jan 16, 2020
Uk
Would u say that bigger travel is overkill for me or is there an option amount for my type of use and weight

I borrowed a Calibre full suspension mou rain bike that had about 140mm travel probably not set up for my exact weight but my teeth feel loose after it lol

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Would u say that bigger travel is overkill for me or is there an option amount for my type of use and weight

I borrowed a Calibre full suspension mourain bike that had about 140mm travel probably not set up for my exact weight but my teeth feel loose after it lol

I started MTB about a year ago. I began with a cheap hardtail EMTB with 120mm fork. It wasn't really suited for anything other than fireroads and the 120mm suntour fork only ever moved a maximum of 70mm. Next up was a nicer e8000 120mm rockshocks hardtail. Much better and enabled me to really advance and was far more capable of riding most stupid things (generally limited by the riders ability).

However, after about 8 months I felt like I'd hit a limit for the bike with what was safe (for me, a better rider would still have gone much faster and much safer).

I ended up with a Kenevo, which is 180mm front and rear. I really worried it would be "too much bike".. whatever that meant.. It wasn't .. It's great.. A couple of days ago I was flying way too fast down a wet leafy large rocked very steep hill, I miss judged my line and slammed into a large rock, the Kenevo just launched over it, anything else and I'd have been off.

From my experience, for a new rider, more is better. Yes, less will force you to learn to ride more precisely or suffer the consequences. But more lets you do that, realise you've fecked up, not hurt yourself - but still learn and adjust.

I think "too much bike" applies more to exceptionally skilled riders where the extra weight is more noticeable for them, or where the extra suspension dumbs things down and makes things too easy and they feel too disconnected. For me, just staying connected to the bike is a result.

I think most of the 140's are generally pretty capable, so don't write them off as too little - it probably just needed more air or adjustment to match the rider - but initially, you will feel like you're getting shaken about until you learn to relax, anticipate, position yourself correctly. One run I remember riding for the first time a year ago, I thought it was the rockiest, bumpiest craziest stupid idea for a bike track ever. I averaged about 12kph and by the end of it my arms and legs were jelly. Now I average about 30kph and hardly even notice any bumps or rocks.

Turbo Dave

Jan 16, 2020
Uk
Looks a right monster the kenevo lol nice colour too !

I wanted to order a bike for this weekend but bottled it lol it's dearer than my works van lol

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Looks a right monster the kenevo lol nice colour too !

I wanted to order a bike for this weekend but bottled it lol it's dearer than my works van lol

It's taken me a while to get my head around bike pricing :)

I find for bikes and anything bike related, you just take the price, divide it by ten and then compare the number you have left to the price of other things in life and you can work out if it's reasonable or not ..

In my head all bike expenditure is catalogued in a virtual accounting system, which uses the 10 system, this way my brain can accept things without liquefying itself and dribbling out of my ears.

Another option is the new Decathlon Stilus .. It's just over £2500 .. so you can be the first man in history to buy a bike and save money on what you budgeted. That gives you £3k left to take yourself and the Mrs on a biking holiday and not have to work several days. It's more than capable for what you want, is well spec'd has the latest Bosch motor, should have good support and if you hate it you can take it back anytime in the first 12 months. Certainly worth a look and has been considered by several other members, I've contemplated one as a "guest bike".

Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX - EMTB Forums

Turbo Dave

Jan 16, 2020
Uk
I don't know much about specs but was wondering why the levo is quite dear vs the trance and cube as looking at parts they r more high spec .

I could be mistaken tho and happy to be educated

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The Levo is primarily marketed at Dentists, A-List Actors and Billionaires.

Through much of last year I looked at the Levo and Kenevo and discounted them as over priced for the spec.

Not everyone will agree, but I think on the whole, Specialized were ahead of the game compared to a lot of the brands in terms of overall rideability, design and aesthetics. They also offer an excellent no quibble warranty, so it gives good peace of mind.

Most of the other contenders have pretty much caught up and there's now a lot of other nice bikes out there to choose from (yes, there were some before, but less). Specialized upped their specs for the 2020 bikes, so whilst you're still paying a premium, you no longer have to pay a fortune for a bike and then replace all the components.

Eventually, I did buy a Kenevo, mainly because it was an excellent deal and it actually came in cheaper than the Thok I was going to buy.

Once I'd assembled it, I really appreciated the build quality and attention to detail with the bike - especially compared to anything else I'd looked at and ridden. So the "premium" made more sense. I also find it incredible to ride.

But ... there's a lot of other nice bikes out there now. The 2020 cubes are fantastic, the Radon's - great value, Decathlon's just snuck in with an out of this world deal on what seems like a really good all round bike. The Trek Rail's are great. The Decoy's are fantastic .. I could go on ...
This year Spesh aren't going to have it as easy as they have.

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
Another Levo owner here, I replaced my previous ‘bargain’ ebike with a Levo, when good deals were to be had in late 2019. Specialized are always dearer, & for no obvious reason to me, but they sell their bikes like hot potatoes, so their sales team must know what their doing? I bought mine as I consider it the best put together package, and because of exactly what Zimmerframe posted
Specialized are ahead of the game compared to a lot of the brands in terms of overall rideability, design and aesthetics. They also offer an excellent no quibble warranty, so it gives good peace of mind.
I’d also agree buying from a good local bike shop is the way ahead. I live down the road from RaceCo & their support/going that extra mile, to support all the brands they sell, convinced me that the extra you pay over the internet bargains was well worth it.

ps. go demo the Levo immediately, then buy it ;)

Last edited:

Turbo Dave

Jan 16, 2020
Uk
im based near chester UK . so have checked

twelve 50 bikes
bike factory
tweek cycles
alf jones

the better prices are always online but i am not fussed over a few quid to get a decent local support. but some prices r 500 plus different.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Plus 1 on the Levo, I got mine in November, and like yourself Turbo Dave, I'm not a skilled rider, but the bike is so much fun I'm getting fitter quicker than I thought I would, and enjoying it!

Sure, there are cheaper bikes, better specced bikes, more focussed bikes......but for me the Levo is the best 'all rounder' that does everything I want it to now, and will cope with everything as I gain confidence and skills. I look at it as having bought a great chassis with decent parts, all of which can be upgraded if/when I feel then need.

Whatever you get, with your budget, you'll get a cracking bike - if you go for a Levo, there are some 2019 carbon comps/experts to be had and some discounts on 2020 bikes too.

Jaygam

Feb 14, 2019
Hampshire
Check out the Thok Mig, it's a solid trail rig and good value, easally modified if desired.
I now spend my time out on trails rather than on forums in prospect ?

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
Commencal have some amazing value 2019 bikes, you can get the Meta Power Race for £3700 (4299 euro) which is a top specced bike with a Lyrik Fork, Super Delux RCT shock and amazing components. Leaves you plenty cash for new gear to go with the bike, like a spare battery to give you 1000wh (500 x 2 batteries) which is more than you will ever need.

Size in M, L and XL so they will have your size.

2019 Bikes Here

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
Commencal have some amazing value 2019 bikes, you can get the Meta Power Race for £3700 (4299 euro) which is a top specced bike with a Lyrik Fork, Super Delux RCT shock and amazing components. Leaves you plenty cash for new gear to go with the bike, like a spare battery to give you 1000wh (500 x 2 batteries) which is more than you will ever need.

Size in M, L and XL so they will have your size.

2019 Bikes Here

Commencals customer service is awesome, and with a Shimano Motor you can take it to any Shimano service centre. I have had three ebikes, none supplied by local dealers and had no issues with any.

Oldcrank

Jan 5, 2020
Albuquerque NM
If your wife has a Giant and you have a Giant dealer.... I’d get a Giant that best fits you budget.
I just got 2 Stance’s E+2 , 2020 , one for my bride & one for me. Love the Yamaha drive & the ride so far. Great dealer was very important.

Turbo Dave

Jan 16, 2020
Uk
yes the only thing with the giant is the batterys small and nothings really changed vs her bike and got hers for 3k same bike now 4k

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
I found the 500wh battery to be the limiting factor in my old e-bike, & the idea of carrying an extra battery, didn’t interest me. 700wh for the win!

nickd164

Jan 7, 2020
sheffield
Hi Dave,

Another middle aged fella here and I’ve just bought my first ebike. Collected it from J E James in Sheff. It’s bewildering isn’t it, so many bikes to choose from. For me it was a YT or the Levo. Decided I wanted the suppler from a store and they also had Whyte and Trek. I paid 4700 for the Turbo Comp Carbon
2019 model and I’m very pleased with it. However I know what you mean as regards to price. I tried not to blink as I paid......
I’m sure it’s all the bike I’ll ever need and I have been impressed by how quiet the motor is.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I'd go with a bike where you have good local dealer support. There's no such thing as a bad bike out there at the moment. I probably wouldn't drop £5.5k on your first bike. You just won't realise that value to start with.

You will most likely have a few niggles which you'll probably want help on if you're new to MTB. That's where a good local shop will be worth its weight in gold. Especially eMTB which has its own quibbles.

As for travel, I would get 150mm as a minimum as you will progress quite quickly and want more if you went for less than 150mm..!

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
Hello all

I am a middle aged man looking at getting my first e bike
I have watched alot of reviews but cannot really demo anything except a levo and near me and with work constraints don't want to waste full days driving miles to test.

My wife has a trance e2 which I do like however I would prefer a large

Im 5"10 103kg
I would say my Max budget is 5500

Bikes I have in mind
Levo
Cube stereo 160 action or tm
Giant trance e0 or 1
Giant reign

I have ridden all these around car parks and all felt the same tbh as I have very little experience a bike feels like a bike so to speak
My budget is 5500 max
The bike will be kept for 3 years and used to
Trail centres
And forest paths etc I want something that will last me that time and not want an upgrade to quick as I gain confidence/abilty

My skill level is low not jumped much before but not afraid to have a go or drop off stuff I'm a builder so u can imagine I'm a lump and land hard lol

Any advise input appreciated
I demoed Canyon Spectral and Neuron, but due to delivery problems cancelled and bought the Commencal Meta 29 Power Signature based on a comparative review of that and the Spectral. Love it. Ride mostly Dorset trails, man made and natural and couple of parks. I'm 61, 105kg and have XL - It's brilliant. I ride loads more now and it just eats descents and climbs. Great for 30+ miles epics or 12 mile fast blasting. I can keep up with serious riding mates ad my son at last! in fact I tow them up hills so we ride more!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Look out for demo days where you can ride half a dozen or so different bikes. This is not just so that you can see what size fits you in the different bikes, but to experience more important stuff. things like do you actually like the way the bike fits you and how it rides? Can you get on with the power shifters (buttons, rockers or levers), the number of power modes (3-6). Do you notice the way the power can surge when pedalling around steep uphill corners on this bike but not that one? What about the noise levels and how does the power cut off when you get up to max assisted speed? Try pedalling with the power off, from a standing start and also later when the power cuts out above the assistance limit. 8-speed gearing is touted as the "best", and logically it should be for an emtb. I thought so too until I tried one and just could not settle on it. I never seemed to be in the correct gear. Try to ride as many different bikes as possible, the more the better. The more you try the better informed your decision, even if the ones you are trying are not on your list.

Make sure that before you set off (or just around the corner from the stand so that you are not causing a traffic jam), that you get the bike set up for you. The stand will sort out the sag and saddle height; its all the other stuff that is equally important. Not just saddle height, but fore & aft position and the seat angle. Not just the sag, but the rebound and any other adjustments. Get all the levers in the best position for you, including the dropper remote. Finally, ensure the tyre pressures suit you and the way you ride. (I'm not kidding, I was once give a bike with 43psi in one tyre and 17psi in the other!) You are about to make what will be an expensive decision; don't make the wrong one because the bike wasn't set up right!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles