New Levo, mixed review and question about fork noise.

akarob

Feb 19, 2019
CT shoreline

So this is my first bike purchase since about 1995 when I got a Trek 930. I lined up the back tires and the Ebike is a good foot longer. Wow, is this thing a beast, and that's a great thing.

I know this bike is really expensive, obviously, but there's a very local dealer to me and I'm hoping they prove to be worth doing business with.

I have only put a few miles on this thing so far and my initial thoughts on it are great, but my forks are making a weird noise. On the rebound, they make like a rubber squeaking noise, or maybe it's oil going through a valve, I don't know. I made a short video of it.

It's clearly not supposed to make this noise, and I do plan to take it back on the weekend for them to check it out. I just thought maybe it's something simple. I don't know much about them, so I figured I'd ask.

Other than that, I didn't like that the seat post didn't even come with a quick release to adjust seat height. I mean, I know it didn't have a dropper, but come on. The brakes feel a little weak too. I really had to use a lot of pressure to stop. Maybe they just need to be cleaned, but they're brand new disk brakes and they should absolutely launch me over the handlebars for how how hard I was on them. Lastly, the derailer is a little clunky.

I can deal with the brakes and accept the lower quality component if it works, but the seat post thing is a bummer, and the shock noise has really got me thinking I got a bad part. I can see a seat post upgrade in my near future. The ride on this thing is super good and I am happy with it over all. It's just frustrating to spend so much and have to start fixing stuff.

Stan

Feb 18, 2019
Australia
Hi Akarob, congrats on your new levo e bike. Im in the process of deciding on either the levo or the giant e bike and would like to hear about your thoughts once you get some miles on the new bike.
Definitely see the bike shop about the fork noise. Im assuming they did a set up for you on the fork and shock.
Regarding the disc brakes, you need to bed them in. To do this you need to apply firm pressure to front and back brakes when riding at a moderate speed. Avoid skidding. Do this a few times and the brakes will start to bed in. You will notice that the brakes will increase in stopping distance. Regarding the seat post, definitely your first upgrade to a dropper post. Hope this helps. Let me know how you go. Cheers.

atcspaul

Dec 28, 2018
Portage, Michigan
Looks like someone forgot to set up bike properly to me, No way you should be able to push forks down that easy, Have you checked the air pressure in the forks?
If you don't need to pump the breaks it means that the rotors are contaminated with oil from your hands or spray. Take a good rotor cleaner and clean them real good and see if the helps, you may need new break shoes (pads) if real bad

Last edited:

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Those forks are too soft and shouldn't make that noise. My shock on my previous bike made a similar squelch noise and it was sent bank and serviced, had all new seals and no noise then.

A quick release seat post is less than £10. I guess they didn't put one on because they expect people to put on a dropper and then you don't need one.

Did you bed the brakes in properly? I found them plenty strong enough and almost as powerful, if not the same as the high end brakes I've replaced them with.

Maybe the shop has not done a good set up - they need to check the shocks (front & rear) for air pressure to suit your weight and they should bed in the brake pads for you too. They can also put on a seat post quick release or better put on a dropper - you can get good deals on Amazon, eBay, etc and have them put it on. Have fun.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
To bed your brakes in, first get a water bottle or anything that will allow you to squirt water. then get up some speed on your bike and brake hard until you stop, then squirt the water on the rotor. Do this a few time and it will bed your brakes in.
do not ride along pedaling whilst dragging the brakes this will just glaze the pads.

akarob

Feb 19, 2019
CT shoreline
Thanks. I will get those brakes heated up tomorrow for sure. What's the water for? I was just going to go down a hill and use one brake at a time to stop. I'm sure they'll be a lot better after they go through a couple heat cycles each.

As far as the suspension goes, I haven't had a chance to talk to the shop yet. They've been closed all week for remodeling. I think I will drop it back off this weekend for them to figure out what they want to do with it.

The dropper seat is on the list. I'll probably have one installed within a month or so. No big rush, but I look forward to the added functionality.

akarob

Feb 19, 2019
CT shoreline
UPDATE - I took the bike in for them to take a look at it. The fork noise was coming from a poorly set rebound valve. The tech made a simple adjustment to it and the noise disappeared. Apparently it was totally closed. He also took the time to adjust my fork, shock and tire pressures without me having to ask and he tested out the shifting mechanism. Super nice guy. The bike feels a TON better. Now. I'm very relieved that it wasn't something more serious.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
Bedding In a Disc Brake

You have to adjust the suspension by your self, no shop can do that for you just by eyeballing your wight and numbers on the fork.
It is really straightforward procedure:

Last edited:

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
You have to adjust the suspension by your self, no shop can do that for you just by eye boiling your weight and numbers on the fork.
Good advice, but I would definitely not frequent any LBS that suggest boiling my eyes... ;)

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Bedding In a Disc Brake

You have to adjust the suspension by your self, no shop can do that for you just by eye boiling your wight and numbers on the fork.
It is really straightforward procedure:
Over the years I have been told a few different ways of bedding in brakes, some completely contradictory. It is good to have the correct knowledge now and also the science behind how it works.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles