Levo SL Gen 1 New LBS charge for Levo SL firmware upgrade ($40)

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
i took my SL in because the MC App said my extender battery needed a firmware update…they said it updated the motor firmware too (I don’t recall seeing that the motor firmware needed upgrading in the MC app).

The LBS here in SoCal that I bought my SL from charged me $40 (just a few weeks ago, they updated the firmware for free).

I hope Specialized will modify the firmware so I can upgrade the SL via the MC app like I can now on my 2020 Levo Comp.

Last edited:

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
i took my SL in because the MC App said my extender battery needed a firmware update…they said it updated the motor firmware too (I don’t recall seeing that the motor firmware needed upgrading in the MC app).

The LBS here in SoCal that I bought my SL from charged me $40 (just a few weeks ago, they updated the firmware for free).

I hope Specialized will modify the firmware so I can upgrade the SL via the MC app like I can now on my 2020 Levo Comp.

They shouldn't charge you for that. You need to find a new shop

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
They shouldn't charge you for that. You need to find a new shop
It was really odd, they didn’t know what the charge was supposed to be (they had to look it up).

Since I think I recall seeing this same $40 charge in other threads, I’m wondering if this is a “suggested” amount from Specialized.

They haven’t previously charged me for any firmware upgrades for the last two years.

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
Why bother updating your firmware if there's no issue with the bike?
If it ain’t broke, why fix it? That is my philosophy for some things…

Personally, I view firmware updates as preventative maintenance, usually firmware updates contain minor bug fixes and enhancements.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the help on MC device updates panel doesn’t show the details of SL firmware revisions, so I can’t tell what is included to decide whether or not it fixes/prevents an issue, or enhances something that matters to me.

I’m healthy, so why get a COVID vaccination? For me, it is preventative maintenance…

RoktMyDog

Feb 23, 2021
USA
If it ain’t broke, why fix it? That is my philosophy for some things…

Personally, I view firmware updates as preventative maintenance, usually firmware updates contain minor bug fixes and enhancements.

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the help on MC device updates panel doesn’t show the details of SL firmware revisions, so I can’t tell what is included to decide whether or not it fixes/prevents an issue, or enhances something that matters to me.

I’m healthy, so why get a COVID vaccination? For me, it is preventative maintenance…
Agree 1000% - my SL works great now and I'll wait till the masses are slobbering madly about a firmware upgrade before I do it.
I just haven't heard dick about this current one. Negative or positive.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
There are at least two shops near me (NorCal) that will update your Specialized software for free. They may try to sell you on other products while you’re waiting, but this extra fee is something that can be avoided. I’d call a different shop next time.

Pedal-Man

Feb 5, 2022
USA
Just took the wife's LSL into my LBS for a motor noise issue, turned out the motor needed calibration and a firmware update. The total charge from the LBS was $85. I contacted Rider Care for clarification on the charges since its a warranty issue. $49 diagnostics and $29 for the updates. From other posts I've seen and comments from Rider Care on other threads, it's a NO CHARGE to you scenario.

LevoRoboto

Sep 8, 2021
Idaho
Just took the wife's LSL into my LBS for a motor noise issue, turned out the motor needed calibration and a firmware update. The total charge from the LBS was $85. I contacted Rider Care for clarification on the charges since its a warranty issue. $49 diagnostics and $29 for the updates. From other posts I've seen and comments from Rider Care on other threads, it's a NO CHARGE to you scenario.
Did you buy the bike at this shop?

Pedal-Man

Feb 5, 2022
USA
No I did not, but after contacting Rider Care, they stated "since its an independent shop, they can charge you for the update"

Which is opposite of other Rider Care comments on this forum.

They are a local LBS that carries Specialized and others.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles