• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered New KMC chain...

congerball

Jun 3, 2019
Yorkshire UK
Proper noob question....anyway, fresh out the box it has some sort of sticky greasy coating on it....should I clean it then lube up with my own stuff or is it good to go straight out the box? ??

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Apparently, that storage coating is the best chain lube your chain is gonna ever have and I've heard recommendations that it should be installed straight on. Although I believe the reasoning behind this is more to do with road bikes.

But from experience in MTB, that sticky grease (reminds me of motorcycle tacky chain lube) also attracts a lot of dirt, sand and grit so the chain just becomes clogged with muck depending on the conditions of where you ride.

If you ride in winter wet muddy conditions, I'd leave it on. If you ride in dry dusty conditions, you might want to consider washing it off and lubing with your usual "dry" lube.

Up to you... I don't think it's a major either way.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I just give the chain a thorough wipe down with a rag to remove as much as possible .... as well as running a soft brush across it to remove as much from the inside of the side plates. Stops ruining your chain in the first couple rides due to grit sticking to that crap.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles