New Kenevo coming?

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Isn't it just normal to discount the current model a few months before next years is out anyway.

But yeah, I think it's due a refresh this year.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Full carbon kenevo with bigger motor and fully integrated battery launching in the summer

Last edited:

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Going on previous years, the levo will be out 2-3months after the new kenevo.

comtn

Founding Member
Feb 27, 2018
Colorado Springs
I wonder if the new kenevo will slot in line with the YT in terms of an enduro bike instead of a mini downhill in its current form. The new frame should allow them to drop 2-3 lbs I would think?

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I was thinking the same thing, most riders don't need a electric dh bike, I think the only reason the kenevo is so popular around here is the old levo was like a XC bike. With the 150mm levo, maybe a slacker 160mm levo evo makes more sense than a 180mm almost dh bike?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
For me they need to make a Levo version of the Stumpy Evo.

I wonder if they will bring out a dual crown version of the Kenevo in the new line up, given how many people have gone down this route.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
The main thing keeping the kenevo from being my top pick is the stand over. If they could lower that atleast a couple inches, drop the weight like a levo with the mag s I'd be all over it. Maybe a touch slacker ha but I could tweak that with a triple clamp. The rest of the numbers are bang on

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
I was at a demo day last week with Specialized and Specialized staff(as opposed to the bike shop staff) and they said there's a new Kenevo on the way this year but had no details, part of the reason I managed a storming deal on a new(existing model) one

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
My wish list for the new Kenevo after 8 months of thrashing (if anyone cares ;)):
  1. More modern geometry: Longer top tube (480ish reach for Large seems about right); steeper seat tube ~76deg+; Wheelbase can be 0-20mm+ more, HTA ~ 64 deg. Shorter seat tube
  2. 29er option maybe with slight geo & travel changes if you want to go 650B. No 2.8" stock tires please.
  3. Lighter and/or carbon . Sub 48lbs stock would be nice. Lighter even better (duh)
  4. A bit more progressive suspension for bigger hits and pop. Maybe even an air option. I went with a progressive coil on my Ohlins to help with the larger drops.
  5. Option for 700wh battery or external ranger extender stock.
  6. Motor/Electronics update to the 2019 Levo Brose 2.1
  7. Anything BUT the WU dropper - ideally 170mm+. (I am loving my 34.9mm PNW bachelor BTW)
  8. Chainstay protection
------
A lot of those changes look like the YT Decoy if I am being honest with myself. My current Kenevo is a fantastic bike for what I like to ride, but one can always dream of improvements..

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
My wish list for the new Kenevo after 8 months of thrashing (if anyone cares ;)):
  1. More modern geometry: Longer top tube (480ish reach for Large seems about right); steeper seat tube ~76deg+; Wheelbase can be 0-20mm+ more, HTA ~ 64 deg. Shorter seat tube
  2. 29er option maybe with slight geo & travel changes if you want to go 650B. No 2.8" stock tires please.
  3. Lighter and/or carbon . Sub 48lbs stock would be nice. Lighter even better (duh)
  4. A bit more progressive suspension for bigger hits and pop. Maybe even an air option. I went with a progressive coil on my Ohlins to help with the larger drops.
  5. Option for 700wh battery or external ranger extender stock.
  6. Motor/Electronics update to the 2019 Levo Brose 2.1
  7. Anything BUT the WU dropper - ideally 170mm+. (I am loving my 34.9mm PNW bachelor BTW)
  8. Chainstay protection
------
A lot of those changes look like the YT Decoy if I am being honest with myself. My current Kenevo is a fantastic bike for what I like to ride, but one can always dream of improvements..

Wouldn’t be surprised if they do all that, except the dropper(unfortunately). The rest sound like logical tweaks to an already good bike. I’ll probably get a decoy(soon) but I’ll see how much they’re blowing out old stock kenevo’s for first. It fits in well for our trails

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
No 2.8" stock tires please.

Why not?

At the weekend I rode my regular bike which has a normal dropper, it was really annoying how the back of the saddle didn't lower itself out the way and be at the right angle when descending.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Why not?

At the weekend I rode my regular bike which has a normal dropper, it was really annoying how the back of the saddle didn't lower itself out the way and be at the right angle when descending.

Just not a fan of them. I find 2.6" to be plenty grippy and much more precise. The stock grids punctured and squirmed a lot at pressures that didn't feel too bouncy. By no means terrible, but I don't think they reflect the intentions of the bike very well.

The WU concept wasn't terrible ,but the execution seemed to be. Had to have one replaced (under warranty), and the drop never felt like the "150mm equivalent" it claimed.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
To compete with YT and the latest Levo I suspect there will be a carbon Kenevo. With new lighter motor it will be substantially lighter which is really only disadvantage current Kenevo (I am one of the few who gets on fine with the wu post and tyres). But, carbon will push the price up a lot. For normal bikes, weight was the enemy of uphill, which isn’t really the case for ebikes but I think next trend will be for lighter and lighter ebikes to make them handle more like normal MTBs. But, lack of weight costs a lot.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
@Rob Hancill You should start a pole, for a whislist of enhancements for the new Kenevo, narrow it down to the top 5 and see if Spesh is in sync/tune with the users for new model releases. Could be fun :geek:

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
For me they need to make a Levo version of the Stumpy Evo.

I wonder if they will bring out a dual crown version of the Kenevo in the new line up, given how many people have gone down this route.

Both would be nice to see. I definitely feel like the Kenevo fills a niche that very few other bikes fill, so keeping 180/180 or going 180/200 with a 200/200 option would be nice to see.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Both would be nice to see. I definitely feel like the Kenevo fills a niche that very few other bikes fill, so keeping 180/180 or going 180/200 with a 200/200 option would be nice to see.
I agree - I think they should do a Levo Evo, then make a no compromise gravity orientated Kenevo

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I wouldn't be sure, because the introduction of new bicycles to dealers will be in September this year. At least in Europe

I should mention he was specific about it having the new motor too. Maybe Specailized with announce it in July but it won't hit dealers until September. Either way, it will be exciting to see a new Kenevo

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I was told that spesh want to get away from this "new year bikes released at the same time every year"
I think they want to stagger the releases

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The new Kenevo is definitely round the corner, I have heard snippets about it from well placed sources recently, nothing concrete but a lot of rumours, which makes me think it cant be far off

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
If we wait long enough (with 2023 bikes coming out in January 2022) everything will go full circle we can 'go back' one year and get back to proper model years or even the way the car industry does it:

"Here is the new model - sell it for say three years give it a LCI and then bring out the new model a couple of years later.

Obviously the whole industry especially EMTBs is moving so fast this would be daft but you get what I mean! ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles