New hip blues

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
So this weekend is looking like a scorcher.Had a full hip replacement last Wednesday and already missing my ebike.Told I will be on crutches for 6 weeks then some chance of light cycling.
Don’t suppose any other members on here who may have had the op.I recon in a couple more weeks I would be mobile enough for a gentle ride ?.Maybe not my local Swinley though

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I love your motivation! :)

I'm not a doctor, but I do have occasional problems with my back that stop me even walking for days, and as for riding a bike - that could be weeks! :eek:
I'd give it a go on an exercise bike before you ride outdoors. Your muscles will be weaker, and maybe your tendons and ligaments will have been well f#cked over too and need some gentle stretching. It will give you the opportunity to test the range of movement in your hip in an easy and safe manner. I'm willing to bet that your general fitness has taken a hit as well! :(

A little bit of patience will work wonders for you, and the last thing you need right now is to fall off and damage that hip! :cry:

Best of luck with your recovery! :)

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
Steve
Luckily I have a spinning bike which I intend to do some light work on.Don’t intend to go against surgeons advise but feel my recovery is progressing at a fast rate.Complete all my daily exercises with ease and tapering off pain killers sooner than recommend.
I can hear my Scott egenius calling me from garage.Watching emtb footage on YouTube not exactly helping ?

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
So this weekend is looking like a scorcher.Had a full hip replacement last Wednesday and already missing my ebike.Told I will be on crutches for 6 weeks then some chance of light cycling.
Don’t suppose any other members on here who may have had the op.I recon in a couple more weeks I would be mobile enough for a gentle ride ?.Maybe not my local Swinley though

You’ll be OK; I ran into a woman I knew on the trail who had just gotten her hip replaced two weeks previously - probably you want to wait a bit longer but she was cheerful and riding just fine.

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Still on OEM hips myself but 3 time under the knife to fix a femur break. There is a saying. “Too burly too early” creates problems. Better to take the down time now then having to redo the surgery or living with less than stellar results. Both of those suck far more than a few weeks off your bike.

Rockyw

Sep 16, 2018
New Zealand
Had my left hip replaced in April 2014. Spent a couple of months cycling on a stationary bike, then onto the mountain bike.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Probably still high on the painkillers! :)

Hard to tell; I was trying to sell a wheel set to a guy at a bike swap once when the same woman came by after a ride; her chin was split. The guy was an MD and was horrified; she said that she would just fix it with butterfly bandages so he took her home to his nurse wife and they stitched her chin shut with their home suture kit at their kitchen table while she took selfies and blogged the whole thing. Pick-up medical service!

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
Many thanks for sound advice.I will start on spinning bike first and build up slowly until comfortable with a 2 hour stint.After all I have another 4 weeks off work to get back on my feet

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
Hi, Hope your recovery is going well.
If Swinley is your local ride i'm just over in Camberley so if you feel like a gentle ride sometime let me know. To take it easy we could just ride around the fire roads
Since going back to work after 3 months off with a bad back I've not had so much time spare so haven't been out or on the forum for ages but this week I out the bike in the car with my sons bike and we drove down to Hayling Island on Thursday and rode the old railway line down to the end and back. Nice and flat, I didn't even turn the motor on all day and we did about 10 miles.
Just got back form a ride to Blackbush airport via Hawley lake and Minley woods and did 20 miles and had for gotten how much I enjoyed it.
Regards, Mark

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
Hi, Hope your recovery is going well.
If Swinley is your local ride i'm just over in Camberley so if you feel like a gentle ride sometime let me know. To take it easy we could just ride around the fire roads
Since going back to work after 3 months off with a bad back I've not had so much time spare so haven't been out or on the forum for ages but this week I out the bike in the car with my sons bike and we drove down to Hayling Island on Thursday and rode the old railway line down to the end and back. Nice and flat, I didn't even turn the motor on all day and we did about 10 miles.
Just got back form a ride to Blackbush airport via Hawley lake and Minley woods and did 20 miles and had for gotten how much I enjoyed it.
Regards, Mark

Mark
I have physio on Friday this week.I will see what they say and if looking good would be good to arrange a ride out at Swinley.As you said fire roads to start I think “Baby maker” may be a bit extreme at this stage.
Cycled Hayling puffing Billy many times ,cracking bit of family track.Another cracker is https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/media/2203/downs_link_6_stage_route_2010.pdf
This runs from Guildford to the coast

Barryjm

Dec 9, 2018
Forest of Dean, UK
Both of my hips have been resurfaced all I would say is take your time, work hard at the physio exercises, build up the strength and flexibility, and definitely hit the stationary bike first before venturing back on your mountain bike. Just remember that this period is just a very short part of your life and it will will soon pass and become a distant memory as you are back hammering around the trails! Good luck with the recovery.

Deviii1972

Apr 27, 2019
Tiverton
HI Mate, just had my hip replaced ( Apr 15th ), ordered a Turbo Levo to get me back on a bike. Even if i have to just use in on the road to start with.!

Last edited:

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
HI Mate, just had my hip replaced ( Apr 15th ), ordered a Turbo Levo to get me back on a bike. Even if i have to just use in on the road to start with.!

How you getting on after op.I came off my crutches last week and after physio now on new exercises.Starting my exercise bike routine tomorrow with the intention of hitting emtb next week on the road .Great choice of bike very popular for good reasons.
All the best mate on recovery

Deviii1972

Apr 27, 2019
Tiverton
Doing pretty well i think. Minimal use of painkillers now and think i will be off crutches in the next couple of days. Cant wait to get back on a bike again! All the best to you too! Might have to sort a hip replacement ride at some point :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Since going back to work after 3 months off with a bad back I've not had so much time spare so haven't been out or on the forum for ages ..............

I can 100% recommend Pilates for a bad back. It not only strengthens your core, supporting your back muscles, but you get flexibility and balance as a bonus. I started in 2006 and I have not missed a week since (except for hols, mine or the instructor). Back problems have a habit of recurring repeatedly, unless you do something about it. It is not a quick fix and it will take several months before you suddenly realise that you have not had any twinges for a while. Start with a one on one with the instructor for a session, then join a small class (6-8 or less) until you know what everything means and that you can do the exercises properly. The small class allows the instructor to spot where you are going wrong. It is so easy to be just copying the moves but not doing it right. You could then go to larger venues that tend to be cheaper, but I prefer the small class.
Warning: Do not fart in class! I have always been the only bloke in the class and the women always know it's me, even if I let one out silently! I have sometimes nearly gone purple trying to hold one in! :LOL:

nickw1965

Patreon
Sep 26, 2018
Aldershot,Hampshire
Well it’s been 5 weeks now and finally the new hip has been put to the test.News is all good.Just got in from a 10 mile ride over Caesars camp my local ride and touch wood no aches or pains.Nothing too demanding mainly fire roads and some smooth bowl drop offs.
Intend to go out every morning now to build up confidence ,after all still signed off work for another week.Shame to waste it ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles