New Garmin Edge with Shimano Steps integration

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
The 820 does have Ant+...and it has the functionality to connect to Di2. So, in theory it should connect at least to the Di2 shifting side, but it does not connect to that either.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
this Garmin press release states that the compatibility is only with the 1030

See caveat at bottom of page link:
"Available on the Edge 1030 and Edge Explore with support coming to additional devices"

Hopefully they add support for lower level devices because the 1030 is $600USD! I kind of doubt it though because they need reasons for all of us to upgrade, i.e. 520 no support but 530 is supported.

Garmin® announces SHIMANO STEPS support on Edge® cycling computers to help enhance the eBike riding experience | Garmin International

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
After another 1 hour plus long conversation with Garmin today...if it works with the 1030, it will work with the 530 and 830...the internal hardware is identical and the 530 and 830 are newer and have more software features than the 1030 (although the 1030 is getting the new firmware updates ASAP). However, Garmin could not confirm if the 1030, 830 and 530 need to have the EW-100 also to make this connection happen. I pointed out to them that they have a lack of information and the guy confirmed this and wrote a ticket and sent me an email in which he wants me to take pics, vids and any links I find online. They recognize they need to get the manuals updated (none of the *30 manuals say you need to use the EW-100 but they also say you DON'T have to use them either) update the FAQs, etc. He also could not confirm that even if I use the EW-100 whether the 820 would work or not.

So, I may order an 830 and try it...I can't justify the extra money for the 1030 which in reality only has a larger screen. I'm gonna wait a beat and see what the engineers say, but the 830 may be in my future.

baffobaffone

Nov 7, 2018
Vicenza (Italy)
The Garmin Edge 1030 and surely the 530 and 830 to see the data of the Shimano Steps 6100 and 7000 you have to connect EW-100, for E8000 always EW-100 but you have to delete the original display otherwise it won't work. Sorry but I'm using the Google translator.

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
I an confirm the 830 connects to the SC7000 without the need for the EW 100. I set it up tonight and pedaled around and so far all the functions I am looking for worked...cadence, gear, battery, speed, etc. there are default ebike screen layouts or you can create your own.

I also ordered an EW 100 as my ultimate goal is to remove the SC7000 for a clean look. The cleanest would be to wear a Garmin watch I suppose...I have a Fenix3 but it does not appear to work with any app for Steps...so maybe I’ll sell it and upgrade...who knows.

I’ll take a few pics after I test ride and get the data screen setup how I like it.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I an confirm the 830 connects to the SC7000 without the need for the EW 100. I set it up tonight and pedaled around and so far all the functions I am looking for worked...cadence, gear, battery, speed, etc. there are default ebike screen layouts or you can create your own.

I also ordered an EW 100 as my ultimate goal is to remove the SC7000 for a clean look. The cleanest would be to wear a Garmin watch I suppose...I have a Fenix3 but it does not appear to work with any app for Steps...so maybe I’ll sell it and upgrade...who knows.

I’ll take a few pics after I test ride and get the data screen setup how I like it.

Glad to hear the 830 works :)

And agree that connecting to a Garmin watch would be cool! Unfortunately none of them can connect to Shimano STEPS that I've heard of (only some to Di2 for gear info). Unless some of the new watches that came out last week can do it, but I haven't seen anything mentioned anywhere.

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
Glad to hear the 830 works :)

And agree that connecting to a Garmin watch would be cool! Unfortunately none of them can connect to Shimano STEPS that I've heard of (only some to Di2 for gear info). Unless some of the new watches that came out last week can do it, but I haven't seen anything mentioned anywhere.

There are a couple of apps for the Fenix5 that would work for me. At least for a quick ride on a known trail...where I’m not concerned about keeping an eagle eye on battery use and needing to know my gears, etc. I will likely get the Fenix6 and as of now they are not supporter, but methinks that is only because they are brand new...nothing in the two different watches would keep the apps from working on the new watch.

wildsau2

Jul 6, 2018
Germany, Karlsruhe
The 820 does have Ant+...and it has the functionality to connect to Di2. So, in theory it should connect at least to the Di2 shifting side, but it does not connect to that either.
the 820 (every Garmin Edge) supports ANT+ THAT is the standard protocol.
E7000 or E8000 ONLY support ANT PRIVATE which is NOT the standard protocol.
In summary Shimano has to do some work, NOT Garmin.
for additional infos read www.thisisant.com

BUT a device (garmin edge, garmin fenix, garmin forerunner, wahoo elment, etc) may pair only to a subset of ANT+ sensors ( same as BLE). In general: an older or cheaper device does not pair to newer or special sensors. That may be the isue with the 820(older) and NOT with the 1030(newer)
for details look at www.dcrainmaker.com

conclusion: you guys should vote for ANT+ support on E7000 and E8000 and tell that to shimano customer support.

Last edited:

CatButt

Jul 20, 2019
Redondo Beach, Ca
the 820 (every Garmin Edge) supports ANT+ THAT is the standard protocol.
E7000 or E8000 ONLY support ANT PRIVATE which is NOT the standard protocol.
In summary Shimano has to do some work, NOT Garmin.
for additional infos read www.thisisant.com

BUT a device (garmin edge, garmin fenix, garmin forerunner, wahoo elment, etc) may pair only to a subset of ANT+ sensors ( same as BLE). In general: an older or cheaper device does not pair to newer or special sensors. That may be the isue with the 820(older) and NOT with the 1030(newer)
for details look at www.dcrainmaker.com

conclusion: you guys should vote for ANT+ support on E7000 and E8000 and tell that to shimano customer support.

Also...if garmin does not make a field for the data to go, even if Shimano is outputting the data...the end result will look like Shimano was not sending the data out. Since neither the SC7000 nor the Garmin indicate that Ant is active there is no way to confirm there is an Ant connection and data is flowing.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

I've created a simple Garmin watch data field now for STEPS data (using Bluetooth) if still interested: Garmin watch data field for Shimano STEPS EMTBs - EMTB Forums

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
Hi,
Just read thru the thread, i have a Garming edge 1000 and a e7000 display, am i correct in my assuption that i cannot get them to "talk" without buying some extra EW 100?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No.
The E7000 display will connect to garmin Edge X30 series the same the EW 100 does. The EW 100 just negates the need for a shimano display.
you need an Edge 1030, 830, 530 or Edge explore GPS unit to connect to the steps information..

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
Im a bit lost. I read so many different messages....

I have:
- E8000 motor
- E8000 display
- SRAM mech (so no interest in Di2)

WIll the Edge 530/830 work with showing cadence, percentage battery etc on the E8000 display?

Or do I need to ditch the E8000 display and get a EW100 or get myself a E7000 display + EW100 if I want to keep a screen + Garmin.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Im a bit lost. I read so many different messages....

I have:
- E8000 motor
- E8000 display
- SRAM mech (so no interest in Di2)

WIll the Edge 530/830 work with showing cadence, percentage battery etc on the E8000 display?

Or do I need to ditch the E8000 display and get a EW100 or get myself a E7000 display + EW100 if I want to keep a screen + Garmin.

You have to ditch the SC-E8000 ang install either SC-E7000 or EN-EW100, both are able to pair with the Edge and transmit the motor and battery info. But you can not install both, there must be only one...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

As Spiff said above, you need to choose whether you want the E7000 display or the EW100 bluetooth connection.
E8000 display does not have the facility to connect to the Garmin

I have an Edge 530 and EW100.
It's entirely up to you which way you choose to go but IMO there's really no reason to have the E7000 display with a Garmin as you can set-up the garmin to display All the parameters the Steps display can. (Yes, Cadence, speed, battery etc.)
I've had an E7000 display and an E8000 display. although the E7000 is a neater (smaller) unit I hated that it was monochrome and also hated that it didn't have the power bar of the E8000.
I used to find the E8000's easy to glance at power bar really useful for conserving battery on longer rides. but it's the only thing I miss about Shimano's displays.
The EW100 has 2 LED lights that indicate mode and errors/warnings. one light is ON/OFF/Error warning Red/Green The other changes colour from Blue light = eco, green = trail = yellow boost to RED = low battery. It's just as easy to glance at to see what mode you're in without being distracting. Plus it doesn't bloody blind you when nightriding.
The Edge will also display warnings as text, so you know exactly what the problem is if you get an error, it'll flash up when you're low on battery and when the motor has gone into forced Eco when battery is v.low.
The unit will also notify you of texts etc. from your phone

If you're de-restricted, be aware your speed reading will still display half your true speed unless you fit a garmin wireless speed sensor to your wheel

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
As Spiff said above, you need to choose whether you want the E7000 display or the EW100 bluetooth connection.
E8000 display does not have the facility to connect to the Garmin

I have an Edge 530 and EW100.
It's entirely up to you which way you choose to go but IMO there's really no reason to have the E7000 display with a Garmin as you can set-up the garmin to display All the parameters the Steps display can. (Yes, Cadence, speed, battery etc.)
I've had an E7000 display and an E8000 display. although the E7000 is a neater (smaller) unit I hated that it was monochrome and also hated that it didn't have the power bar of the E8000.
I used to find the E8000's easy to glance at power bar really useful for conserving battery on longer rides. but it's the only thing I miss about Shimano's displays.
The EW100 has 2 LED lights that indicate mode and errors/warnings. one light is ON/OFF/Error warning Red/Green The other changes colour from Blue light = eco, green = trail = yellow boost to RED = low battery. It's just as easy to glance at to see what mode you're in without being distracting. Plus it doesn't bloody blind you when nightriding.
The Edge will also display warnings as text, so you know exactly what the problem is if you get an error, it'll flash up when you're low on battery and when the motor has gone into forced Eco when battery is v.low.
The unit will also notify you of texts etc. from your phone

If you're de-restricted, be aware your speed reading will still display half your true speed unless you fit a garmin wireless speed sensor to your wheel

Thank you.
Can you tell me if it’s possible to turn on/off the light on the bike through the Garmin?

I’m using the Lezyne ebike micro drive 500 which I turn on/off via the settings of the e8000 screen.

GOSBTS

Sep 24, 2018
Sussex
Hello.

If I buy the Shimano STePS EW-EN100 is it easy to fit, does it come with necessary wires?

TIA.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Hello.
If I buy the Shimano STePS EW-EN100 is it easy to fit, does it come with necessary wires? TIA.

Probably not, but I do not know for sure. Anyway, as you will remove the display and un-plug the DI2 cables, then you should plug them in the EW-EN100, you do not need additional cables

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
I forgot, yes, it is easy to fit, you just unplug the cables remove the display and plug the cables in the new EW-EN100, I believe it includes a couple snap in to hold it to the brake hoses. For this plugging and unplugging it is better to use the Shimano tool TL-EW02, it only cost 2,5€

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its dead easy to do - however remember it resets the pass code for connecting the app IIRC as its effectively a new bluetooth module on the bike replacing the one in the display.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thank you.
Can you tell me if it’s possible to turn on/off the light on the bike through the Garmin?
The button on the EW100 switches the light on and off.
doing ANYTHING on a garmin is more involved than that. So why you'd bother doing it that way I don't know

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Anyone using the Garmin edge explore and E7000 get a random prompt for Di2 setup every 20 minutes or so...and know how to stop it ?

I have the Garmin Edge Explore and it only does that if it makes contact the with the bike. After this I really havent seen this. Looks like it looses connection and then re-connects.

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
@Spiff and @Gary thank you again.

I’ve bought the edge 530 and the EW100. It works great! Looks clean too :) Edge 530 costs me 230,- euro and the EW100 65,- euro at Bike-discount.de. Not a bad deal IMO.

Still figuring out what the best options are to show on the screen.

Only bad part is that my Apple Watch doesn’t send data to the Garmin. I had to buy a HRM.

stona1

Sep 9, 2019
Gdynia, PL
Hi,

I have E8000 and EDGE530. As I understand if I will buy EW100 I need to remove E8000 display but do I need to remove assist switcher on the left side of my handlebar (if yes how I will be able to switch assist modes i.e. Eco, Boost or Trial?). It is OK for me to remove E8000 display and have all data displayed on EDGE 530 but I would like to have ability to switch assist modes (Eco, Trial or Boos) on original switcher. Is it possible?

Is it only one type of EN-EW100? When I am looking in Google it shows tho different images (one with green glow around button and second without). For example in this shop: Shimano EW-EN100 Steps Junction-A Bluetooth®LE/ANT | Shimano System Shop please look on two first pictures of the product. It show two different items.

BR
Arek

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
Hi,

I have E8000 and EDGE530. As I understand if I will buy EW100 I need to remove E8000 display but do I need to remove assist switcher on the left side of my handlebar (if yes how I will be able to switch assist modes i.e. Eco, Boost or Trial?). It is OK for me to remove E8000 display and have all data displayed on EDGE 530 but I would like to have ability to switch assist modes (Eco, Trial or Boos) on original switcher. Is it possible?

Is it only one type of EN-EW100? When I am looking in Google it shows tho different images (one with green glow around button and second without). For example in this shop: Shimano EW-EN100 Steps Junction-A Bluetooth®LE/ANT | Shimano System Shop please look on two first pictures of the product. It show two different items.

BR
Arek
the left switcher connects to the EW-EN100. It all makes sense when you replace the E8000. Do make sure that the cables are properly inserted (you need to hear a click when inserting it).

The link you provided is the same store where I’ve bought it from.

stona1

Sep 9, 2019
Gdynia, PL
the left switcher connects to the EW-EN100. It all makes sense when you replace the E8000. Do make sure that the cables are properly inserted (you need to hear a click when inserting it).

The link you provided is the same store where I’ve bought it from.

In my bike to E8000 are connected two wires: one from switcher and another one from something else.
Do I correctly understand that I need to disconnect this wires and connect them to EW-EN100?
Thanks this I will have BT functionality for Garmin and still have switcher. Is it correct?

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
In my bike to E8000 are connected two wires: one from switcher and another one from something else.
Do I correctly understand that I need to disconnect this wires and connect them to EW-EN100?
Thanks this I will have BT functionality for Garmin and still have switcher. Is it correct?
Yes, yes and yes :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles