New focus jam2 coming today !!!

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey
  • Set post height (may need to wiggle dropper cable a bit to get it to work well)
  • Set handlebar controls angles
  • Work out how to use walk mode (if hitting some seriously steep stuff)
  • Check tyre pressures (15-30psi depending on terrain/conditions)
  • Check axles are done up properly
  • Check battery charge
  • Crack on!

Markymark

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Surrey
Make sure you put the battery on charge first so its fully charged and ready when you've done the other things on bissona's list.
I went out and didn't 18 miles on my Haibike yesterday, admittedly it's pretty much flat round here and I keep it in eco much of the time and about 6 miles was on road but I still had over 60% charge left when I got back.
Don't think you have to flatten the battery all the way on it's first use if that's what you were implying in your post.
Just get out there and enjoy it.
Regards!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Elsewhere on this Forum someone suggested charging the battery to 70% when you get back. Then on the morning of the ride (or the night before), top up the charge to 100%. Apparently, this keeps the battery in the recommended amount of charge for storage for the longest period. If you ride every single day then this will not be practical, may as well charge to 100% in one go. But if your rides are irregular and/or unpredictable, then it makes sense.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Convert it to tubeless
Mudhugger on the front to keep eyes clean in winter.
TEC pack if your going to do longer rides.
Maybe change the flat bar for a riser if you want a more relaxed position.

Which one did you go for?

P4UL

Dec 3, 2018
Maidenhead
cheers guys , well it finally arrived 2 days after expected i only went for the jam2 plus which i believe isn't the highest spec one but wow what a bike ! i defo will be getting a mud hugger after this mornings mud fest . tell me though im paranoid of gently rinsing the mud off after a ride , not a full clean but just a gentle hosing down to get the large bits of crud off ..... near the motor i can see openings and shiny metal etc am i ok to just rinse in this general area ? sorry for the newb question

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
cheers guys , well it finally arrived 2 days after expected i only went for the jam2 plus which i believe isn't the highest spec one but wow what a bike ! i defo will be getting a mud hugger after this mornings mud fest . tell me though im paranoid of gently rinsing the mud off after a ride , not a full clean but just a gentle hosing down to get the large bits of crud off ..... near the motor i can see openings and shiny metal etc am i ok to just rinse in this general area ? sorry for the newb question

I just give mine a gentle hose down and avoid the motor,

If your in the UK these are quite a good upgrade if you want a stiffer fork.
Rockshox Yari RC Solo Air Boost OEM - 27.5" | Merlin Cycles

P4UL

Dec 3, 2018
Maidenhead
Convert it to tubeless
Mudhugger on the front to keep eyes clean in winter.
TEC pack if your going to do longer rides.
Maybe change the flat bar for a riser if you want a more relaxed position.

Which one did you go for?
hi mate i cant see anywhere online that the raceface ar40s are tubeless ready im guessing they are though ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
hi mate i cant see anywhere online that the raceface ar40s are tubeless ready im guessing they are though ?
Whether they are or not is not a big deal. Are the spoke holes covered over with something that looks tight? If so then they are probably tubeless ready. If not get some Gorilla tape and put two layers all around the rim, ensuring the spoke holes are covered. Sorted.

bissona

Patreon
Oct 14, 2018
Guernsey

I'm running them tubeless with no problem at all. Mine seemed to come with blue gaff/fabric tape over the spoke holes which is doing a fine job. I have some Stan's in reserve if needs be.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
My LBs had a difficult job getting my so called “tubeless rims ” to hold air ..turned out the original rim tape was not applied correctly ..been ok since with Stans race . “first Post” or whatever its called .
But tubeless an essential upgrade.
Have fun
If you can get a good discount on a TEC pack let me know

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My LBs had a difficult job getting my so called “tubeless rims ” to hold air ..turned out the original rim tape was not applied correctly ............
That was the problem on one of the wheels on my brand new Whyte T130. I was at the point of throwing the wheel across the garage when I applied some logic on the lines of "I know what I'm doing, I've done it many times before, I've done everything right, so it must be a fault somewhere, therefore give up!"
I returned the wheel to the shop and they replaced the rim tape. If it had not been a brand new bike, I would have done that myself using Gorilla tape and avoided the 80 mile round trip!

P4UL

Dec 3, 2018
Maidenhead
Well the stans sealant and valves have turned up so ill give it a bash later after work . running a garage for a living id hope that i find it a breeze , being my first attempt we will see !

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
I've had my Jam2 Plus for a week and have changed the tires to tubeless, added winter mud flaps, quick release seat clamp, cut two cm off each end of the handlebars, and replaced the grips with ESI Chunky foam grips.. easier on the wrists on long downhill runs. Ready to rock and roll!

Jam2 Grips.jpeg

Jam2.jpeg

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Welcome to the Focus “Jammies!”
Have fun
Just got another puncture to realise the Stans must have given up as only air escaping ...no sealant.......off to LBS for a top up.

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
No. It's the Revelation 140. My Giant Anthem SX only has 120 so it's a big jump in suspension for me. Also, here in Hood River, our trail systems have mostly smooth packed dirt. Here in the states our bikes are discounted at the end of the fall season and then came the Black Friday sales event which dropped the Focus Plus to a price that I couldn't refuse. And, kudos to the Jenson sales rep who gave me another $450. :)

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
Welcome to the Focus “Jammies!”
Have fun
Just got another puncture to realise the Stans must have given up as only air escaping ...no sealant.......off to LBS for a top up.
I use the valve injector to add more Stans. While riding in Moab, Utah on my regular mtb I felt a spray on my ankle which indicated a leak from a cactus spine but the stans quickly plugged itself.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Advised you cannot add Stans Race through the valves as the “Globules” are too big and clog the valve
Stans Race is the only sealant that worked for me so I am loath to change
Have fun

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
Advised you cannot add Stans Race through the valves as the “Globules” are too big and clog the valve
Have fun
Huh.. Is Stan's Race different from Stan's Sealant? I use the Stan's NoTubes injector with Stan's Sealant whenever more is needed and have not had an clogging problems.

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
Have fun

Whoops.. just looked it up and the Stan's Race is supposed be a better sealant.

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
Wasn't aware of the "race" version of Stan's. I use the regular and have not had a flat yet, fingers crossed. It is good for 2 to 6 months, where the race needs to be checked every 3-4 weeks. No biggie to pop the bead to add the Race version, but 3-4 weeks would be problematic for me. I ride mostly rocks and hard pack, so not much problems with stickers or thorns. Oh, nice looking blue/black bike by the way.

KRolo

Dec 1, 2018
fullsail25
Wasn't aware of the "race" version of Stan's. I use the regular and have not had a flat yet, fingers crossed. It is good for 2 to 6 months, where the race needs to be checked every 3-4 weeks. No biggie to pop the bead to add the Race version, but 3-4 weeks would be problematic for me. I ride mostly rocks and hard pack, so not much problems with stickers or thorns. Oh, nice looking blue/black bike by the way.
Same here. The regular Stan's sealant lasted all last spring and summer. It's winter here in Hood River, Oregon and we stay off the trails when they're muddy or in a freeze thaw so I haven't had it on single track yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles