New ep8 - crank play.

Arseni

Apr 24, 2021
Batumi, Georgia republic
I've noticed some weird play on my ep8 today.

The bike has 400km on it.

Symptoms:
1. The play occurs when I push the chainring or the right crank towards the bike.
2. Both (outer and inner) shafts, chainrings and cranks are moving as one piece.
3. It's spring loaded - when I release pressure - it gets back itself.

Below are two videos from both sides:
Drive Side: Non-Drive Side:
Did anyone experience anything like that?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Just went down to the garage to check my Heckler, and found what you describe. It feels as if there is a spring washer to provide some preload to the thrust bearings (washers) in the motor. Near zero play would be difficult to achieve, and perhaps not preferable. It's not something I'm going to get excited about. If you do want to get all wound up about it, see if you can find an exploded diagram of the motor. That should clarify why there's movement.

Arseni

Apr 24, 2021
Batumi, Georgia republic
Just went down to the garage to check my Heckler, and found what you describe. It feels as if there is a spring washer to provide some preload to the thrust bearings (washers) in the motor. Near zero play would be difficult to achieve, and perhaps not preferable. It's not something I'm going to get excited about. If you do want to get all wound up about it, see if you can find an exploded diagram of the motor. That should clarify why there's movement.

Thank you! So far 50/50 in this thread have some play/have no play at all ( or 60/40 if I count myself ). Which it not statistically meaningful, but makes me think some minimal play is actually fine.

Moreover, there is a thread related to previous generation of Shimano motor: E8000 "bottom bracket" bearing play after 1400km - EMTB Forums
and multiple people report similar play.

And there is this:
This what I received from Commencal when I sent them email about the issue:
"If the play is between the crank spindle and the motor that's normal, Shimano just answered this is a functional play. Shimano does consider this is normal to have play, up to 2 mm there is no reason to be worried about it.”
( link )

That probably relates to the e8000, but still. 2mm is a lot of play. Mine is probably under 0.5mm.

I'll try to find some ep8 owners around me and see what they have. Although 95% of bikes I see here have Bosh.

Anyways - the bike feels and rides great!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The axles on all Shimano's Emtb motors are floating sprung by design. And not held in fixed preloaded position like a HTII BB/crank design. Ie. The motor axles all move latterly. And it's perfectly normal for the design.
Once angular play becomes present though (and it will. Eventually) they're fucked.

rikioh

Nov 18, 2020
Austria
i have 2 Bikes with ep8 motor and on one bike i also have this play, on the other not. i think on this bike it was from the beginning and you can also hear a clacking noise when you push the pedals backwards when the motor is not engaged. On the other bike i have the feeling the motor is much tighter with fewer play and the typical ep8 clacking noise is also less…

Meso

Apr 18, 2021
UK
@Arseni did you ever resolve this play issue please? I have the same issue and trying work out whether there is a fix or whether I am visiting a service centre.

Last edited:

Arseni

Apr 24, 2021
Batumi, Georgia republic
@Arseni did you ever resolve this play issue please? I have the same issue and trying work out whether there is a fix or whether I am visiting a service centre.
It kind of self-resolved. Found out that the play is normal. People say It has to be there for the internal clutch to work properly and anything up to whole 2mm of movement is good.

It does not affect ride quality and although I would prefer no play at all - I just forgot about it and enjoy the bike :)

jjmc

Apr 20, 2022
UK
i have 2 Bikes with ep8 motor and on one bike i also have this play, on the other not. i think on this bike it was from the beginning and you can also hear a clacking noise when you push the pedals backwards when the motor is not engaged. On the other bike i have the feeling the motor is much tighter with fewer play and the typical ep8 clacking noise is also less…

Thanks for the post!

My spare bike is a Commencal Meta with an EP8 and I've noticed this side to side movement - it's driving me nuts!

How on earth is it considered OK?! It's the equivalent of having your bb on a normal bike shuffle from side to side a couple of mm with every weight shift put through the pedals.

I feel it move A LOT on steep descents. Seems mad that it's meant to be like this?!?!

Are you just putting up with it?

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I rode an Orbea Rise for close to 4k km and it had that play from start to when I sold the bike.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
My previous E8000 ebike had 3 motors. All had that play. None of the motors lasted more than 1400 miles.

My current EP8 bike is still on the original motor and is coming up for 3100 miles. There is no play in this motors crankshaft. Can you tell I'm not superstitious..:)
IMG-20230826-WA0003.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles