New England eMTBers - want to ride legally?

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
Last Summer, when Massachusetts Dept of Conservation & Recreation (MA DCR) held public hearings about banning ALL ebikes from state-managed, natural surface trails, I posted here trying to rally MA eMTBers to make their voices heard, and many of you came through. Unfortunately, New England MTB Ass'n's (NEMBA's) executive director and Board already had DCR officials convinced that all ebikes are "motorized" and have no place on MTB-legal trails.

In November, DCR announced that, until "further study" was done on eMTBs' impact on their trails, their regulation "limits e-bike use on trails to class 1 bikes on improved surface paths of 8 feet in width or greater." Improved trails means paved, graveled etc., but not natural surface trails - including those that allow ATVs and other motor vehicles. So we can't even ride alongside stink-ass quads and dirtbikes, according to DCR! WTF?!?!

NEMBA's got the ears of all 7 New England states' land managers. In 2018, Connecticut adopted the 3 class ebike classification, except on natural surface trails. eMTBs are thus banned from all MTB-legal trails in CT, too. This will be the case in all 7 NE states - if it isn't already - unless they hear from a LOT more of us!

I realize that the tide is turning as more and more MTBers reach AARP-eligibility age, but I feel that we can make it rise faster and get the powers-that-be to hear us collectively more than individually. IMBA co-founder and eMTB access activist Michael Kelley somehow heard about my 2017 DCR Ranger demo ride and my other efforts with DCR officials last year. He asked if I have the "bandwidth" to get New England e-mountainbikers to join together - this is me trying to do so here...

I've served on non-profit boards and been involved in some activism (disability rights, clean energy) over the years, but starting up an organization is not in my repertoire. So if any New England-based eMTBers reading this have such experience or simply want to join in, please chime in here or send me a PM.

Thanks for reading and Ride On!

tacoma22

Dec 8, 2019
California
I’d just ride the trails. If someone questions you..which is unlikely..tell them your riding with the bike off for training purposes.

At that point what’s the difference from a regular bike besides weight? Which riders already vary more than extra 15lbs e bikes weigh.

The whole no class 1 e bikes thing is so irritating. People have no idea what it is.

Cale3999

Jan 23, 2020
Woodstock, GA
yes enforcement is prob not really happening...and I like what tacoma22 said if the engine if whats the diff...if you wanna talk weight then you have to restrict the trails to 250 lbs or less(maybe)....I weigh 190+50=240 so I can ride....and the guys that happen to weigh 220+30 lbs bike can too lol , but if you and bike weigh more you cant ride dont wanna tear up the trails...they just dont have any idea what they are talking about....

frankenbike

Sep 18, 2019
If you insist on breaking the rules make sure to be a good ambassador; I give right away to all other riders and exercise extreme courtesy - in the past 2 years on my local trails I have only had one mildly contentious encounter - more often than not the analog riders I encounter are curious and have not tried an ebike and are curious and open minded - usually a good opportunity to spread the word. I ride a lot at night - many times the only one on the trail - a great option to get rides in during the shorter days of winter and after work with the benefit that in the dark an ebike is just another mtb with lights (just faster!)

frankenbike

Sep 18, 2019
In the article, the former bike exec says:

"Personally, as president of a user group, there's no way I'd advocate for use of Class 2 or Class 3 bikes on trails, and even Class 1 scares me"

and then in the next paragraph:

"he concedes his worries about their impact on trails is more theoretical than based on experience or data"

Unfortunately, opinions based on limited, incorrect, biased or no data are all too common. Evaluation of impact on trails, safety and any other metric that indicates eMTBs are distinct from regular MTBs must be based on unbiased data. Empirically, my personal experience based on 2K+ miles of single track on a 750w eMTB (and some common sense) suggests the following:

1. The difference in speeds is not an issue (I get passed descending on my eMTB by faster riders on analog bikes all the time).

2. Impact to trails is not relevant, as this is more an issue of tire type and total weight as well as riding style, which all apply to both analog and eMTBs. I think in this regard nay-sayers are likely people who have never ridden a eMTB and are probably picturing motocross-like scenarios with huge knobby tires roosting massive waves of dirt. Other articles have shown that >90% of peeps expressing opinions on the matter have never seen an eMTB much less ridden one.

3. Safety - in most contexts this is directly related to speed (comments above apply) and not a factor that distinguishes analog MTBs from eMTBs.

I found one of the comments to the article interesting in that it illustrates the all too common reality that opinions often are no more than a matter of self interest - here's the comment:

"I have no problem with ebikes on backcountry trails with low usage, but they should not be on crowded urban multi-use trails like those in JeffCo that already have sky high visits per mile and hour"

See the problem with that comment? The criteria expressed have nothing to do with the bikes being electric assist - this person simply doesn't want any new users on the trails, which is a good definition of discrimination, and I fear is often the true motivation behind objections.

JimBo

E*POWAH Elite
Jan 3, 2019
Western MA, USA
NEMBA recently updated its "position" on eMTBs. While not fully embracing true pedelec MTBs, it's a far cry from NEMBA's previous - often ridiculous - statements on them since 2013.

Note the reference at the end to a new Facebook Group that advocates for eMTB trail access in New England. I heartily urge all New England riders to join, if you haven't already.

NEMBA's new Executive Director, Travis Counsell, also invited eMTBers to join a Zoom Forum on Sat Feb 20 at 5pm eastern. I believe NEMBA hired him in part because of his willingness to work with e-mountainbikers - the prior ED outright rejected such overtures, and lost at least a few members (like me) as a result.

For anyone not on Facebook, you can sign up to join the Zoom meeting by emailing [email protected]

Marley

Jan 28, 2021
VA
Until those suits behind the desk become educated about pedal assist and having an open mind, little ground will be gained.
In their minds these emtb bikes are Yamaha 125 enduro's.

Luckily around here our largest bike shop has formed a coalition and their voice is being heard and emtb are enjoying more access.

It's all about being educated and open minded. These bikes are allowing older riders like myself to stay fit and healthier.

Perhaps change the wording......instead of calling it a Bosch motor, call it Bosch pedal assist.
As soon as authorities hear " motor " they become tunnel vision.

I'm still not taking chances, as soon as I see hikers or a group of young riders , I pull off the trail and yield.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
MTB groups are stepping back and taking a hands off approach in an attempt to divert blame from the idiots on non class 1 ebikes and other electric toys out there. I doubt they'll ever embrace emtbs for this reason.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles