New Ebike with E8000 motor turns on and then off

Nate890

Apr 25, 2022
Golden
Hey all. My girlfriend has just received a new Commencal Meta Power TR which uses the shimano steps E8000 motor and display. When we power the bike on, the display reads “Shimano Steps” for a couple of seconds and then just turns off. No power at all. We’ve disconnected everything from the display and reconnected it with no luck. The battery has been charging for 7 hours so I’m sure it’s charged and ready to go.

Anyone else have a similar issue, or understanding of this issue and able to give me any insight into trouble shooting? Any help would be extremely appreciated!

E098B958-11D7-459E-A5AC-1FC7FE095D38.png

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Sounds the exact same issue as when I put a new 8000 motor in the bike. I can't help I'm afraid, but wish you the best of luck and would be very interested to know the resolution.

My suggestion would be to return to the bike shop and get them to fix it as its a brand new bike.

Bruuttus

May 11, 2020
Finland
Sounds the exact same issue as when I put a new 8000 motor in the bike. I can't help I'm afraid, but wish you the best of luck and would be very interested to know the resolution.

My suggestion would be to return to the bike shop and get them to fix it as its a brand new bike.
You need to download E-Tube and connect to your bike with bluetooth.

Thimlicek

Sep 23, 2019
Tilburg
firmware of your motor is not compitabile with display. probably you have version 4.32, this is working only with SC-8000 display.
You need to update motor. You can switch displays if you have also sc8000, make update and switch them back.

MarkCF

May 3, 2022
Australia
If you received the bike in the box direct from commencal, it ships with the cable between the engine and battery disconnected. If you look in the motor access bay ( above the bottom bracket on LHS of bike) you should see an unplugged cable. Plug this in and you should be fine. I learnt this through experience - had the same symptoms when I tried to turn on the first time.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
lt must be new old stock because (unless l am mistaken) this motor is no longer supplied on new bikes, they use the EP8. Last E8000 bikes were 2020 model year.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
No update on this from the O/P
However
lt means the display isn't connected to the main battery. Most likely the wire needed connecting, as already suggested above

jasonbub

Sep 21, 2021
Los Angeles
Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I had this exact problem after riding an extremely rough patch of trail today. I ended up turning the bike over and removing the bash guard and pulling the wires out that connect of the battery and making sure all the connections were intact. I put them back in and added the bash guard back and the bike turned back on. I am not sure what is going on here but I assume that there is a loose connection somewhere. I did recently have some service that required the motor to be removed so a new brake line could be installed. I am starting to think that the shop didn’t connect everything correctly. Does anyone know if there are any other connectors than the ones that are on the bottom of the motor that connects to the battery. In other words are there any connectors on the top side of the motor near the seat stay.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I had this exact problem after riding an extremely rough patch of trail today. I ended up turning the bike over and removing the bash guard and pulling the wires out that connect of the battery and making sure all the connections were intact. I put them back in and added the bash guard back and the bike turned back on. I am not sure what is going on here but I assume that there is a loose connection somewhere. I did recently have some service that required the motor to be removed so a new brake line could be installed. I am starting to think that the shop didn’t connect everything correctly. Does anyone know if there are any other connectors than the ones that are on the bottom of the motor that connects to the battery. In other words are there any connectors on the top side of the motor near the seat stay.
The connections are all on the top, none drive side :

1656832705506.png

Just one of many threads on the subject :

Make sure you check the cables in the back of the display, they need quite a firm push to "click" in place correctly.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Check also that the round motor connector plugs firmly in place and secured and to take it out you have to move the conector sleeve.
Check also that the pins inside the conector and motor look fine and do not show signs of corrosion.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles