New E8000 Motor not working.

Bruuttus

May 11, 2020
Finland
Hey,

I bought e8000 motor. New, 0kms.
I install the motor, no problems ( battery disconnected)
E-Tube asks to update the firmware so i update it, still no problems.
I start the bike, no errors, everything works fine. BUT no assist no boost no power. The motor is dead.
Can i test the motor somehow or what do i do?

and yes i have sent the seller an e-mail.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
You have to configure Wheel circunference and motor angle same as in the original motor.

Wheel circunference is preconfigured to 3000mm, so the bike reaches the 25km/h limit soon. And the wrong motor angle is set to 0 and has to be changed to the setting for your bike (In my case it is 24°)

Bruuttus

May 11, 2020
Finland
You have to configure Wheel circunference and motor angle same as in the original motor.

Wheel circunference is preconfigured to 3000mm, so the bike reaches the 25km/h limit soon. And the wrong motor angle is set to 0 and has to be changed to the setting for your bike (In my case it is 24°)
Thanks for the reply!
I already changed the circumference to 29" but I can't find the correct motor angle. I have Merida Eone 500.
Any idea where I can find the correct angle? Does the manual usually state it or do I need to attach my old motor to see it?

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Thanks for the reply!
I already changed the circumference to 29" but I can't find the correct motor angle. I have Merida Eone 500.
Any idea where I can find the correct angle? Does the manual usually state it or do I need to attach my old motor to see it?

For the angle you can ask Merida or check it in a similar bike (or mount again your old motor). STUnlocker Standard version (2€)shows the angle, but to change it in your new motor you may have to go to a store that uses the Shimano Professional eTube or use STUnlocker Premium (around 30€).

Anyway, I do not know if this is the root cause of your problem, you should check cabling, pins in battery, display compatibility and so.

Bruuttus

May 11, 2020
Finland
For the angle you can ask Merida or check it in a similar bike (or mount again your old motor). STUnlocker Standard version (2€)shows the angle, but to change it in your new motor you may have to go to a store that uses the Shimano Professional eTube or use STUnlocker Premium (around 30€).

Anyway, I do not know if this is the root cause of your problem, you should check cabling, pins in battery, display compatibility and so.
It was the motor angle that prevented the motor from working. All working good now thanks for the help! You were big help.

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
I am glad to be of help and that the problem is fixed now.
I need to replace the E8000 motor on my 2019 Felt Redemption E30 mtb. I am considering buying a brand-new motor off ebay. I have read every post on this forum that has "E8000" in it, and I think I understand what needs to be done to make it work for my bike: 1) firmware (probably) needs to be updated through e-Tube and 2) parameters need to be set for the wheel circumference and motor angle of my bike.

As I understand it, the firmware update is something I can do at home, but the parameter settings need to be done by someone with a special program--either Shimano or a Felt dealer, probably. A couple of issues are: 1) Felt stopped making mtbs in 2020, and 2) I bought the bike off Craigslist. It's a wonderful bike, but I just had to mess around with the motor bearings, didn't I? And in the process tear one of the circuit ribbons that are attached to the casing of the torque sensor! Massive idiocy. So my bottom line question is: when I get my hands on the new motor, who--exactly--should I take it to?

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California

It was the motor angle that prevented the motor from working. All working good now thanks for the help! You were big help.
Hello, Bruutus. When you say that you've already set the wheel circumference and then found out how to do the motor angle, too, my question is: How did you do that? I thought we had to go to a dealer or Shimano to get that reprogramming done.

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Probably a Shimano Service Center can do that.

But as the ebay motor does not have a Shimano warranty, I believe that you may use APP Stunlocker Premium version, at a cost of around 30€

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
Probably a Shimano Service Center can do that.

But as the ebay motor does not have a Shimano warranty, I believe that you may use APP Stunlocker Premium version, at a cost of around 30€
Thank you, Spiff. I have to admit that I'm looking for an unqualified "you may use APP Stunlocker Premium" to do this. Do you have any reason to think that it wouldn't work? (I do know that pretty much everything is weird in the Shimano universe, but if Stunlocker purportedly has the functionality to allow me to parameterize the motor for my Felt mtb, I'll pull the trigger for a new motor. It's just such a big commitment that I want to be as sure as I can that I can pull this off.)

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
It can be done, but you should do it before upgrading to the latest FW. I read that latest FW does not allow Stunlocker to work.

Also, you need to know the angle and circumference values in the original motor.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I have a 2018 Focus Jam2 and a 2018 Spectral On 6. Both have the old E8000 motor. For various reasons I have swapped the motors from one bike to bike on a couple of occasions without having to use E Tube or Stunlocker and everything has worked well.

One motor has now failed and I too am looking at buying a new one off Ebay. Am I to understand that a new one is not simply 'plug and play' but does require some form of programming to initiate it.

Can someone also explain to me why 'motor angle' is so critical? A motor doesn't cut out on steep inclines and I am not aware of any form of connection, electrical or mechanical, that tells the motor just what angle it is connected to the frame at. Or is 'motor angle' just not what I think it is.

Last edited:

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
I have a 2018 Focus Jam2 and a 2018 Spectral On 6. Both have the old E8000 motor. For various reasons I have swapped the motors from bike to bike on a couple of occasions without having to use E Tube or Stunlocker and everything has worked well.

One motor has now failed and I too am looking at buying a new one off Ebay. Am I to understand that a new one is not simply 'plug and play' but does require some form of programming to initiate it.

Can someone also explain to me why 'motor angle' is so critical? A motor doesn't cut out on steep inclines and I am not aware of any form of connection, electrical or mechanical, that tells the motor just what angle it is connected to the frame at. Or is 'motor angle' just not what I think it is.
I guess you were just lucky, and both bikes have similar angle and wheel diameter, then motor will not detect any issue.

Motor Torque sensor REQUIRES to know the motor angle to modulate the power delivery according rider input. Take into account that rider input force changes during the chainring and pedal rotation, rider pushes hard when pedal is up, but when pedal is down the pull force is very low.

Last edited:

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I guess you were just lucky, and both bikes have similar angle end wheel diameter, then motor will not detect any issue.

Motor Torque sensor REQUIRES to know the motor angle to modulate the power delivery according rider input. Take into account that rider input force changes during the chainring and pedal rotation, rider pushes hard when pedal is up, but when pedal is down the pull force is very low.

Thanks, you've just convinced me to scrap and break my Focus for spares. It needs a new battery (around £600 and a pain to get one), possibly a new damper for the Fox forks (£200) and a motor (£750) that I cannot be certain will work.

Looking at over £1500 on a a bike not worth much more than that in good working order.

Interestingly, the following appears on the site selling the motors. No mention of motor angle but I guess that is no guarantee

""WATCH OUT !!! - The default wheel circumference is 3000mm. It is possible that you have to set this wheel circumference to the wheel circumference of your bike using an app. We cannot adjust the wheel circumference ourselves, but we are happy to support you. Please note that there may be additional costs, depending on where and how you set the wheel circumference. Please note that the wheel circumference may no longer be able to be changed if you perform a firmware update.

WATCH OUT !!! - Firmware 4.3.2 is installed on the motor. If you have a newer bike, you may need to update for all features to work. We cannot perform the update ourselves, but we are happy to support you. Please note that there may be additional costs depending on where and how you update. Please note that after the update it may no longer be possible to set the wheel circumference using an app.""

Anyone interested in a Jam2 frame and rear shock, TEC PAC extender and a Trailwatts 250 wh extender?

I

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
It can be done, but you should do it before upgrading to the latest FW. I read that latest FW does not allow Stunlocker to work.

Also, you need to know the angle and circumference values in the original motor.
Thank you, Spiff. Very encouraging. So, the firmware doesn't automatically update when the new motor is installed and the system is powered up? I think I've read that if you open E-tube Project, the firmware will automatically update, so I guess I don't want to do that. And I assume that doesn't happen when I open Stunlocker? (I appreciate your patience here; I'm nervous as a cat.) So, my procedure is figure out the correct wheel circumference and motor angle and have that info handy, 2) install the motor, 3) check if, by some miracle, the parameters are already set right and if they are not, 4) open Stunlocker and follow instructions for setting them, 5) hope that it all works, 6) contact Stunlocker if I need to. (I don't even want to think about downgrading the firmware if it's already been upgraded.), 7) upgrade the firmware.

Does E-Tube Project come into play at this point, or can I do everything iIneed to do in Stunlocker?

--Phil

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Hi Phil, do not worry, it is not Rocket Science.

So, the firmware doesn't automatically update when the new motor is installed and the system is powered up?
- NO automatic FW update. Depending on your Shimano Display model, it might not work with a motor at old FW level. SC-E8000 should work, SC-E7000 may need newer FW

I think I've read that if you open E-tube Project, the firmware will automatically update, so I guess I don't want to do that.
- E-tube will ask if you want to upgrade and you can refuse.

And I assume that doesn't happen when I open Stunlocker?
- No, it does not make an automatic upgrade. To upgrade or downgrade FW you should follow a procedure that is explained in the STunlocker thread

So, my procedure is figure out the correct wheel circumference and motor angle and have that info handy,
- OK

2) install the motor,
- OK

3) check if, by some miracle, the parameters are already set right and if they are not,
- Unlikely. Nomally motor comes with 0º angle and 3000mm wheel circumference

4) open Stunlocker and follow instructions for setting them,
-You'll need to download the standard STunlocker cell APP, and then upgrade to the Premium License at an extra cost

5) hope that it all works,
- Fingers crossed

6) contact Stunlocker if I need to. (I don't even want to think about downgrading the firmware if it's already been upgraded.)
- There is a thread where the author answer questions.

7) upgrade the firmware. Does E-Tube Project come into play at this point, or can I do everything iIneed to do in Stunlocker?
- At this stage you can use E-tube

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
Hi Phil, do not worry, it is not Rocket Science.

So, the firmware doesn't automatically update when the new motor is installed and the system is powered up?
- NO automatic FW update. Depending on your Shimano Display model, it might not work with a motor at old FW level. SC-E8000 should work, SC-E7000 may need newer FW

I think I've read that if you open E-tube Project, the firmware will automatically update, so I guess I don't want to do that.
- E-tube will ask if you want to upgrade and you can refuse.

And I assume that doesn't happen when I open Stunlocker?
- No, it does not make an automatic upgrade. To upgrade or downgrade FW you should follow a procedure that is explained in the STunlocker thread

So, my procedure is figure out the correct wheel circumference and motor angle and have that info handy,
- OK

2) install the motor,
- OK

3) check if, by some miracle, the parameters are already set right and if they are not,
- Unlikely. Nomally motor comes with 0º angle and 3000mm wheel circumference

4) open Stunlocker and follow instructions for setting them,
-You'll need to download the standard STunlocker cell APP, and then upgrade to the Premium License at an extra cost

5) hope that it all works,
- Fingers crossed

6) contact Stunlocker if I need to. (I don't even want to think about downgrading the firmware if it's already been upgraded.)
- There is a thread where the author answer questions.

7) upgrade the firmware. Does E-Tube Project come into play at this point, or can I do everything iIneed to do in Stunlocker?
- At this stage you can use E-tube
Thanks again, Spiff. I feel like I have a personal advisor. Should I post a report when I'm done? And are there other etiquette protocols for this forum that I should know about? (This is totally new to me...)

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
I am glad to be of help and that the problem is fixed now.
I just successfully installed a new E8000 motor in my Felt Redemption, and it's working perfectly. The motor is one of the ones available from a company in Germany--4mybike. Excellent price, delivered in about a week! $35 shipping.

Things started out somewhat bewilderingly, but trail-and-error finally paid off. I read all the relevant posts on the forum, and the crucial piece of advice I gathered was: Don't use E-Tube Project before you use STunlocker. When I did finally use E-Tube, I found out why: It did an automatic firmware update to something in the 4.9s, which would have been a nightmare to downgrade to the original 4.3.4 in order to do parameter resetting.

STunlocker ($30 premium version) is mandatory. So, 1) get your wheel circumference info and your motor angle parameter info (the latter which I guessed at!) ready, 2) courageously plug in the new motor, 3) if your STEPs display comes on, run STunlocker, 4) do the parameter setting, and 5) follow the prompts to end the session. Then you can run E-Tube Project. If your luck has held out, it will automatically do a firmware upgrade--which takes about 5-10 minutes--and the system will be ready to go.

Let me know if you have any questions--besides things like "Where do I get STunlocker?", or "How do i install the new motor?", of course. 😊

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Hi Philip, just a few questions if I may..

I have two bikes with E8000 motors. Both with around 4000 miles on them but the one on my Focus Jam2 has called it a day.

I bought the Stunlocker premium license for both to set the 'market' to the US spec to up the motor support to the US 20 mph. As a result I have been nowhere near E Tube since utilising Stunlocker.

I have looked at buying a new E8000 motor from the same Ebay site as you have.

My questions are, did your new motor come set to the US market or did you have to change it from the EU market using Stunlocker?
Did logging onto E-Tube with the resultant non voluntary firmware upgrade, revert the market setting back to the EU ones?
Was it necessary to access E-Tube at all?

Hope my questions make sense.

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
Sorry for the delay, Peaky Rider.
1) Installed the motor
2) connected the electrical leads
3) turned on the motor
4) freaked out because the opening logo screen disappeared after a couple of seconds, and nothing else came up
5) did 3 & 4 about 10 times
6) bought and installed the premium STUnlocker
7) turned the motor on
8) freaked out because STUnlocker couldn't see my bike
9) somewhere along the line, STUnlocker finally saw my bike
10) set the wheel size correctly; guessed at the angle (25 degrees); still getting nothing past the bike start-up screen
11) after some research, concluded that my firmware must be wrong
12) ran E-Tube and crossed my fingers
13) watched and waited in terror as E-Tube updated the firmware
14) restarted the motor
15) jumped for joy as the display became fully functional
16) rode the bike with a perfectly operating motor

I am quite persistent and pretty darn handy, so I kept at it relentlessly for many hours. All's well that ends well, I guess.

Buying the German motor turns out to have been the right move; saved me hundreds. Keep your bad motor handy, so you can re-use one of the protective covers, which isn't provided.

Good luck; unless there's something going on that I didn't encounter, you'll be able to do this.

--Phil

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
Sorry for the delay, Peaky Rider.
1) Installed the motor
2) connected the electrical leads
3) turned on the motor
4) freaked out because the opening logo screen disappeared after a couple of seconds, and nothing else came up
5) did 3 & 4 about 10 times
6) bought and installed the premium STUnlocker
7) turned the motor on
8) freaked out because STUnlocker couldn't see my bike
9) somewhere along the line, STUnlocker finally saw my bike
10) set the wheel size correctly; guessed at the angle (25 degrees); still getting nothing past the bike start-up screen
11) after some research, concluded that my firmware must be wrong
12) ran E-Tube and crossed my fingers
13) watched and waited in terror as E-Tube updated the firmware
14) restarted the motor
15) jumped for joy as the display became fully functional
16) rode the bike with a perfectly operating motor

I am quite persistent and pretty darn handy, so I kept at it relentlessly for many hours. All's well that ends well, I guess.

Buying the German motor turns out to have been the right move; saved me hundreds. Keep your bad motor handy, so you can re-use one of the protective covers, which isn't provided.

Good luck; unless there's something going on that I didn't encounter, you'll be able to do this.

--Phil
And don't freak out if your apps say that they're working with an E7000 system. There's overlap; no problem.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Thanks Phil, but I am not sure if your experience has filled me with confidence or trepidation and it does make me wonder if Shimano deliberately make motor installation such a black art.

One point I am still not clear on is the 'market setting' your new, German supplied, motor arrived with. As it came from Germany I assume it had the EU market settings, meaning motor support up to fifteen miles per hour only. You live in California where I believe twenty mph is allowed. Stunlocker premium license will let you choose the market settings you prefer but not, I believe, if you load the latest software via E-tube.

I am interested in this because I do like to use the US market settings.

Hugo Last

Oct 19, 2019
Effingham
Thanks Phil, but I am not sure if your experience has filled me with confidence or trepidation and it does make me wonder if Shimano deliberately make motor installation such a black art.

One point I am still not clear on is the 'market setting' your new, German supplied, motor arrived with. As it came from Germany I assume it had the EU market settings, meaning motor support up to fifteen miles per hour only. You live in California where I believe twenty mph is allowed. Stunlocker premium license will let you choose the market settings you prefer but not, I believe, if you load the latest software via E-tube.

I am interested in this because I do like to use the US market settings.
Would that not be against the law

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles