New Decoy all 29! Base and Pro!

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
thinking the same thing. A new iphone 12 is coming out and it's sooooo much better than the iphone 11. Here we go, not to mention Specialized is going to blow your mind with the lightweight upcomong Levo Light, so these 50lb plus bikes are going to look funny next to a 35lb demon, right?

filotnie

Aug 11, 2019
Frankfurt - SW London
thinking the same thing. A new iphone 12 is coming out and it's sooooo much better than the iphone 11. Here we go, not to mention Specialized is going to blow your mind with the lightweight upcomong Levo Light, so these 50lb plus bikes are going to look funny next to a 35lb demon, right?

That was certainly not that I had in mind. And I couldn't disagree more. :D

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
My comment was just kidding. Acutally read further into the bike online with E-Mountabike online and find out that original Decoy owners could just get a new rear traingle and guess what, you have a Decoy 29 with a 160mm fork. Reduce the Fork travel, buy a 29 wheel, and you have a new Decoy 29. This would be a really cool option if Yt would purchase of the new rear!

Last edited:

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Funny thing about the Decoy 29. So much work went into the "Mullet" it makes me wonder if the 29 is just to satisfy the critics who panned the bike for Pedal strikes, and some complains of the wide rear tire. They could have build the 29 right outa the box without the need for the Mullet. If the engineers had first crack and decided it was the be the Mullet, then can we conclude the original is a better choice for aggressive riders and the 29 better for casual riders?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
They're both far too heavy

what makes you come to that odd conclusion @westcoastmtbr? The most Aggressive riders I know and ride with are all riding 29ers (I'm not talking about Ebikes tho)

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
458mm chainstays is significant. As someone who thought they’d prefer a 29/29 over the mullet, this makes me happy that I got the 29/27.5+ with the more ‘normal’ 442mm rear.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
So they are advertising the new 29" as all mountain and the mullet as enduro :) Sounds legit to me.

Thing I also did noticed they have stopped listing the 2020 as Alu rear stays, which they were yesterday. As I've been trying to decide if 2019 or 2020.

Santa

Oct 4, 2019
Montreal, Canada
Your answer is in the two key numbers: Head Tube Angle and Travel:

The Decoy 29: at 66 HTA and 150/145mm travel, it is clearly meant to be a quick and agile trail bike and it will climb really well and be more fun on flatter trails. Serious competition for Spec's Turbo Levo by the way.

The "regular" Decoy: at 65 HTA and 170/165mm travel, it is designed as a "destroyer of descents", with the motor being there just to get you to the top of the hill faster so that you get more DH laps.

Only 1 degree difference in HTA but it makes all the difference. 65-66 really is the point where we switch from gravity to trail riding.

Only thing IMHO they should have used two different names, as I believe they are two very different bikes for very different clients.

D

Deleted member 7401

YT bikes look cool but when you have to spend forever to find any info on their e-bike warranty...probably means successfully processing a warranty claim would be just as difficult.

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Only thing IMHO they should have used two different names, as I believe they are two very different bikes for very different clients.

Wonder if they didn't do that, as the frame is now listed as 'modular' so they will sell a 29" or 27" rear end so you can swap depending on what you are going to ride.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Funny thing about the Decoy 29. So much work went into the "Mullet" it makes me wonder if the 29 is just to satisfy the critics who panned the bike for Pedal strikes, and some complains of the wide rear tire. They could have build the 29 right outa the box without the need for the Mullet. If the engineers had first crack and decided it was the be the Mullet, then can we conclude the original is a better choice for aggressive riders and the 29 better for casual riders?

Nah, it’s a totally different bike, go look at geo numbers.longer reach in large for one. 150mm on decoy vs 162mm on decoy 29.

Basically all the geometry is a bit different.

Also your post above about just buying rear triangle won’t work...

As someone pointed out should almost have a different name.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Wonder if they didn't do that, as the frame is now listed as 'modular' so they will sell a 29" or 27" rear end so you can swap depending on what you are going to ride.[/QUOTE
Wonder if they didn't do that, as the frame is now listed as 'modular' so they will sell a 29" or 27" rear end so you can swap depending on what you are going to ride.

It would be really great if they did that!

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa

Yeah I stand corrected:)

Actually makes sense.. wasn’t really thinking through I guess.. longer stays plus seat angle etc making reach different. No way they would invest in new mold for front if they Didnt have to...

As it’s stands though you would need, new rear wheel, new triangle, new shock, and longer brake and shifter cables, and a new fork or run it at 160-170.
I’m looking hard at new 29base.. id probably bump it to 160mm anyway.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles