New Bosch motor ,1 at 3 weeks.

Asc

Jul 3, 2019
North notts
So I have had a new Bosch motor e bike with the new 2020 motor,
First impressions
Firstly it does seem to pedal well with the motor switched off , I like the fact you can easily turn it off on the bar switch as well.
Quite like the screen changing colour with the modes, but the screen does seem vulnerable..
Not so good the motor cuts off at 15mph , my old Bosch and kenevo are both quicker and seem to have punchier motors, and seems a real shame that it can’t easily be used in North America tune.
Be interested to hear anyone else’s opinions.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Firstly it does seem to pedal well with the motor switched off
Yeah, it's a massive improvement over the old motor and I was able to hammer uphill at 17mph yesterday.
However...
Not so good the motor cuts off at 15mph
I'm finding this too. My old Bosch seemed to gradually drop off from 15.5 to 17 so was a nicer transition from assist to no assist.
my old Bosch and kenevo are both quicker and seem to have punchier motors
I'd expect the Ken to feel punchier as it's more powerful, but to me every new Bosch I've ridden feels just like old one (a good thing in my opinion) until you ride it with no assist where it feels way better (also a good thing).

It seems noisier than the old one though, which was a surprise. It might just be more intrusive because it's a different sort of noise and as the ride progressed I found myself having to actually listen for it rather than hearing it all the time.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
My wife has a Cube with the new gen 4 motor. My bike is a Levo so I was interested to have a ride on her bike to compare. I have not done one of my normal rides on it, just messing around over a small skiils area , and her bike is both too small for me and a hardtail, so not a complete comparison test but a few things I noticed were that the motor did not seem noisy to me, in fact I could hardly hear it. Maybe it is different depending how it is mounted in each bike? The power levels cannot be changed unless you have the top of the range ridiculously expensive controller so you are stuck with 4 presets. I found ECO pretty weak, Tour not a lot better, but EMTB seemed a mode you could leave it in all the time. Turbo was also not as powerful as the Levo but good enough to get up most climbs etc. Power delivery seemed very smooth and progressive. The Cube has the fully integrated battery and I like the system of removing the battery to charge and therefore having no external motor to battery connector. The battery is quite a bit shorter than the Levo battery as well meaning it is easier to carry a spare in a backpack if required. Admittedly my wife is fairly gentle with her riding but so far battery range seems quite impressive. I intend doing more riding on her bike to get more experience of the Bosch Gen4 motor.

AZRickD

Jan 21, 2020
Arizona
I’ve ridden the Gen 4 on mostly on flat ground and can confirm the general behavior you saw. I have about 25-miles on the Gen3 with good climbs to test it. I found it adequate for my 210 pounds.

I have a few hundred miles on a pair of Brose S bikes (Levo and AtomX). The have more power on tap, but I never found the need to go above what was Mode 3 reduced to 65% (from the stock 75%) in the BH, for example.

So, while I’d love the extra power of the Brose, Rocky Mountain, or TQ, I’d rarely, if ever use full Boost. I ride with a mixed group so we on eBikes have to exercise a little self-control to keep everyone together.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles