• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

New Bosch CX 2020 derestricting

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
i dont like to hear that at all. I called LBS and they said they have heard that limb lasts 96hours. when exactly your bike went to limb?
My went into limp during a ride, the range also changed to zero miles, despite there being 3 battery bars showing. I rode for another hour in limp, back to my van, and took the bike to my LBS the next day. They say they couldn't find a fault, and updated the software.
When I bought it, the LBS said, pop it in between services for software updates which will iron out and false error issues. So I'm assuming my 504 error, is just an error.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I had similar this weekend, fortunately I was back at the car when it happened. LBS cleared the error and updated the DU to 1.0.3.0 or something. It was on 1.0.2.0 before.

Aleksiron

Mar 3, 2020
Finland
I had similar this weekend, fortunately I was back at the car when it happened. LBS cleared the error and updated the DU to 1.0.3.0 or something. It was on 1.0.2.0 before.

Your LBS cleared error 504? Mine lbs said that he thinks he cannot clear error. Even tho they have bosch diagnostics..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Well, I had the error when I dropped the bike off and it was gone when I collected it an hour later, seems to me like they cleared it or the update clears it. Would have been sooner but I took my dog for a walk while I waiting.

Norkey

Jun 9, 2020
UK
Well, I had the error when I dropped the bike off and it was gone when I collected it an hour later, seems to me like they cleared it or the update clears it. Would have been sooner but I took my dog for a walk while I waiting.

Hi, I had the same error while out on a ride, I got the bike to the LBS and the cleared the fault and updated my motor. It went from SW 1.0.2.0 to 1.0.3.0. Other than the SW update that was required they could not find a problem with the bike.
I had the bike back for around two weeks and the error appeared again ?.
Currently the bike is on its way back to where I purchased it and I’m awaiting feedback.
I have only had the bike six weeks, gutted!!!
Really need to understand what is causing this issue as it seems random and the LBS don’t know what could be causing this.
once I know more I will share this.

Aleksiron

Mar 3, 2020
Finland
Hi, I had the same error while out on a ride, I got the bike to the LBS and the cleared the fault and updated my motor. It went from SW 1.0.2.0 to 1.0.3.0. Other than the SW update that was required they could not find a problem with the bike.
I had the bike back for around two weeks and the error appeared again ?.
Currently the bike is on its way back to where I purchased it and I’m awaiting feedback.
I have only had the bike six weeks, gutted!!!
Really need to understand what is causing this issue as it seems random and the LBS don’t know what could be causing this.
once I know more I will share this.

Thats critical issue. There is plenty of bikes with new bosch sold.

Norkey

Jun 9, 2020
UK
Thats critical issue. There is plenty of bikes with new bosch sold.
You would like to think Bosch know more about it.
Seems to be linked to there anti tuning SW from what I have read but the bike is standard. It’s a cube stereo hybrid 160 Sl.
Very frustrating!!

Aleksiron

Mar 3, 2020
Finland
You would like to think Bosch know more about it.
Seems to be linked to there anti tuning SW from what I have read but the bike is standard. It’s a cube stereo hybrid 160 Sl.
Very frustrating!!

yea and 1.0.3.0 is supposed to repair that problem and people still have it.

Norkey

Jun 9, 2020
UK
Does the CX2020 have a factory reset function?
Hi, for the 504 error I have experienced you need to have the error code cleared at your LBS. I have read that if you ride the bike for 90 mins it will clear also. I haven’t tried this. I’m not aware of another reset we can do to clear the issue.

Norkey

Jun 9, 2020
UK
Hi, for the 504 error I have experienced you need to have the error code cleared at your LBS. I have read that if you ride the bike for 90 mins it will clear also. I haven’t tried this. I’m not aware of another reset we can do to clear the issue.
I have found this document, some good information in it, but not what you are after....

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England

Thanks Norkey
What does LBS stand for, a local bike shop?
Or perhaps local bottle store

Norkey

Jun 9, 2020
UK
Thanks Norkey
What does LBS stand for, a local bike shop?
Or perhaps local bottle store
Lol ? this 504 error is is turning me to drink ?. LBS - Local bike shop ?
still not heard anything on my Bike at the minute. I have contacted Bosch also on the issue.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
This has gone quiet, any update on these Bosch error codes or has it all been sorted and the thread was not updated?
lt may help people in the future who are searching for Bosch Gen 4 error codes and solutions.

PhilBaker

May 6, 2020
East London/Kent
Good question Lightning, I feel your pain! ?

So here is my view and I did post to this effect 6 months or so ago which may have more detail but net net:-
  • There is NO guarantee and you will read one person say "amazing no errors" and the next say "hit a 504 etc"
  • I analysed every thread on here and everywhere else to be honest and the most common theme for people hitting the error was setting a high top speed
  • I pushed the button and went with a Volspeed v3 for Bosch, installed it and raised the top speed from 15.5mph to 23mph
  • I've done 1,500 - 2,000 miles with no errors yet
  • I don't ride around in Turbo at top speed, I'm lightweight, and I'm just riding normally
  • It hands down is the biggest transformation to anything I've upgraded on the bike (assuming you have some private land to ride on of course ;))
I do not have experience of the latest Bosch Engine SW release, and I know others on this forum probably did exactly what I said above and hit an error, so no guarantee but I would definitely take the chance.

Keep the kit in good condition and someone will buy it off you on here if you don't like it.

My honest view is they work, but only reliably if you raise the top speed slightly, but a 5-8mph raise is probably all you need...

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l would agree re top speed, l have an E8000 and on occasion have set it to USA which allows assistance up to 20mph
That's enough of an increase and transforms the bike, turning it into a viable option for road rides, where legal.
lt also makes it much better on trails, again where legal.
One question, is it legal to use a de restricted ebike at a trail centre, as that is effectively private land?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles