New bike.... wrong charging lead....Grrrrrrrr

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
Well managed to get my missus into e bikes, she has purchased a 2019 Cube Access Race 500
All is good apart from the fact the charger has a Euro plug on it,
she contacted the Supplier, and basically they told her it’s not there problem, Cube supply the bikes like that.
Well, that wound me up, it’s not a problem to use an adaptor or use my Charger ( which came from a LBS with a UK plug), but there attitude towards the customer is disgraceful.
Now I’ve been cycling for years, and have bought an e-bike from this outlet before and I know that they are not the best, but this just confirms that Wiggle ( yes you probably guessed) are really dumb, as they could have replaced the lead for next to nothing and helped to turn their customer service reputation round a little bit. But no, the fact they have no doubt bought a load of non UK bikes at a good price from the manufacturer but are not willing to make them UK compatible is a bit naughty. (and possibly illegal).
Well, watch this space she ain’t happy and is getting onto Trading Standards!
like I say, it wasn’t a big issue, but the fact they refuse to accept responcibility is annoying.
so, Giggle and Pain Reaction, i won’t be spending money ever again with you.

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
thats not true, my Cube came with a 3 pin U.K Plug on it
What do you mean ”that’s not true?” ... calling me a liar?? ... if we were in a bar we would be outside taking things further...?
( maybe you need to re read my post) ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
We bought two Cubes from Evans
One bike came with 2 pin and the other bike came with a 3 pin.
All mains electrical products should by law come with a 3 pin plug in the U.K. however I have so many of those leads kicking about the house I just connected one of those to the Bosch charger instead and pulled out the 2 pin lead and binned it.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
Cube supply the bikes like that.
this bit isnt true

20200114_183613.jpg

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I'm really not at all surprised by your experiences with Wiggle.

A year ago I did an order on wiggle.es ('cos I live in Spain) for some parts to be delivered to me here in Spain ('cos I live in Spain).

I'm not sure quite how they managed it, but the shipment got stuck in Customs and Wiggle demanded that I went and sorted it out! Given that it was an order on a Spanish website for a delivery in Spain, my view was that it was Wiggle's problem. Wiggle thought otherwise and said that the package was my responsibility - as were any customs duties!

My bank agreed with me and refunded my payment (a couple of hundred euro). No idea where the goods are now - and I haven't used Wiggle since. :mad:

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
Wiggle need to address the error it is totally there fault and should not be sold in this country.
No need for appologies. I didn't explain myself very well.
Fooked off, just had to walk last 2 mile home in piss down rain with another puncture in front tyre.
front tyre tubeless now as had 2 punctures and back tyre as Tannus amour (zero punctures).
Think its time to end the experiment and put Tannus in the front

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Sorry Jamy, apologies.... so if Cube dont supply them with charger leads, why o why would wiggle put a “ not fit for purpose “ lead in the box?

Perhaps they are supposed to give you both types of lead in the box and took the 3 pin out for some unknown reason. Maybe borrowed it and forgot to put it back in the box.
When my cube reaction race 500 was delivered they forgot to send me the pedals ?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Cube must send stock ( UK spec) to a depot in the UK from which LBS in the UK place their orders. I ordered a Cube Access 2020 for my wife and it came in 3 days so now way it came from stock in Europe. The UK stock will be UK spec....my wife's charger is UK 3 pin. If Wiggle are ordering direct from Cube in Europe I would assume they would have to specify it is for UK sale. The point made earlier re the legality of importing and selling goods NOT compliant with UK standards is right I think. ( makes you wonder with all the blurb about EU standards why the electrical standard in the EU is still 2 pin with no earth!)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Wiggle is based in Portsmouth. Checking the main Cube website there is no record of Wiggle as a Cube Dealer.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
( makes you wonder with all the blurb about EU standards why the electrical standard in the EU is still 2 pin with no earth!)

:ROFLMAO: Don't go down that rabbit hole. You'll never get out alive.

[Clue: There are earthed plugs in the rest of Europe. It's just that, for example, the Italian 2 pins plus one earthing pin is different from the German 2 pins plus sprung earth connector. And then there's the whole issue of what countries require all electrical distribution boards to come with earth leakage units. And it goes on and on and on... There was never any danger that Britain was going to be "made to switch to 2-pin European plugs", no matter what nice Mr. Farage told you :ROFLMAO:]

Germany-3-pin-electrical-plug-universal-replacement.png_350x350.png

Italian-3-pin-power-cord-plug-to.jpg

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
@Northumbrian I think you could suggest to Wiggle that they have supplied an electrical appliance (the charger) in breach of "The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994". Problem is, they might simply say "if you're not happy, send the whole lot back"

Jan 11, 2019
Thirsk
I had the same issue with my stereo 140 bought from lbs, I used the cable from the reaction we have to charge first time then just nicked the lead from an old radio we had in the shed, now have a lead for when abroad in the van, winner winner chicken dinner

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
Well, item closed, after er indoors quoted “ 1994 electrical standards blah blah ( cheers GDAS)) to Wiggle, they mailed her back saying they have managed to find a lead and are posting it straight away.......it is annoying Wiggle are prepared to “ fob” a customer off unless they start to push the issue.
cheers all for your comments.

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
Maybe get over it and just change the plug?
FFS, if you read my 1st posting, paragraph 3,
it’s a principle issue.....bike shops attitude towards customers etc.
im working in Asia, my Mrs is trying to charge her new mountain bike with no lead.....yes I have a another charger, yes I could buy an adaptor......... but its attitudes and principles

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
FFS, if you read my 1st posting, paragraph 3,
it’s a principle issue.....bike shops attitude towards customers etc.
im working in Asia, my Mrs is trying to charge her new mountain bike with no lead.....yes I have a another charger, yes I could buy an adaptor......... but its attitudes and principles

gotta agree with KenX... ive had this loads where some tools I buy come with a euro plug, instead of getting all wound up about it I would rather get an adapter and put the thing to work.. got other things to worry about.

qwertycube

Apr 29, 2020
Scottish Highlands
My new CUBE Reaction finally arrived from Evans Cycles today. It only had the euro 2 pin plug. A bit poor (plus the bike was very poorly setup). Luckily the wife’s Trek has the same charger, with 3 pin.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Again, a flat 2-pin euro plug will work in a U.K. socket with just a little help from mr screwdriver...

KeithO

Apr 9, 2020
England
Mine must have gone to the bike shop from Cube with a two pin and the bike shop swapped the lead over when in the UK before sending it to me.

apart from it being white, no harm done and does the job ?
04C9DBC5-7680-4642-AF4A-DCAF3E0D1EC9.jpeg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Again, a flat 2-pin euro plug will work in a U.K. socket with just a little help from mr screwdriver...
Not good electrical advice when an euro adapter plug or new power lead are cheap and available ways to resolve the problem Mr Manic ......lol.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It is also illegal to supply an electrical device in the UK with a 2 pin plug unless it is a device listed as an exception in UK trading standards (e.g. toothbrush/shaver).

qwertycube

Apr 29, 2020
Scottish Highlands
Thanks KeithO, I was about to faff around cutting off and changing the plug, but your pic saved me the bother with the realisation I already have several of these leads spare around the house, incl black ones?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles