New Bike - Powerfly fs 4

#mitch

🦷 Tooth Fairy 🦷
Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
Figured I would post in here if anyone was interested. Wife’s new Powerfly arrived yesterday. She fizzing and it’s a very nice bike! Really low step over height which is why I got it.
3AFC380E-E1E4-4F7A-A097-40040B5212ED.jpeg

tadley77

Oct 18, 2021
USA
I just ordered a Powerfly FS 4 but won't get it until April/May 2022. I can't wait. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of info around about them. I was really torn between the Powerfly Hardtail, the FS, and the Rail 5. I just couldn't justify going up to the rail, maybe in the future.

I'm mostly getting it to cruise around the local bike paths with the wife but wanted the ability to go on some woodsy trails when she wasn't with me. I've gone to a ski mountain(Killington VT) and rented bikes a few times but don't see myself doing that often. I figure in that event I could just rent again and wouldn't have to worry about the extra weight from the battery/motor. I was originally planning on a hardtail but talked myself into the full suspension Powerfly.

What do you think about the travel? Is it enough?

#mitch

🦷 Tooth Fairy 🦷
Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
It’s a fantastic bike and the rear travel is fine. I’m 6ft 4 and 116kg and the bike is a small size for my wife so my opinion is just on some cruising around the block but in the end it’s a far more smooth ride over a hard tail and is well put together.

bilbo

Mar 9, 2018
USA
I thought about the Rail also, but didn't want to spend the extra. The Powerfly FS 4 handles all the trails I have been riding for the last 15 years, lots of roots and rocks. That said, I plan on upgrading the fork when I can, as I feel it's the weakest component. The motor is the same as their top end bikes.

tadley77

Oct 18, 2021
USA
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing after reading that the front fork wasn't the best. A fork should be very easy to replace though. Not so sure about the rear shock though. I'm not sure what the affect of being in a different place than most other FS bikes is.

#mitch

🦷 Tooth Fairy 🦷
Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
39D855A0-947D-4EED-BDFD-7015F1143F5B.jpeg

It’s pretty tight in there if you wanted to replace it. But seriously if it’s for some light trail riding and cruising with your wife it will be plenty good enough

tadley77

Oct 18, 2021
USA
Yeah my concern with the suspension is that I'm a large guy. I'm about 280lbs which is definitely much higher than I want to be but I've never been small. I am athletic so I'm really tough on things being heavy. Just trying to diversify my activities with things like the ebike and getting back into skiing after 20 years to try to lower that number bit.

#mitch

🦷 Tooth Fairy 🦷
Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
Yeah my concern with the suspension is that I'm a large guy. I'm about 280lbs which is definitely much higher than I want to be but I've never been small. I am athletic so I'm really tough on things being heavy. Just trying to diversify my activities with things like the ebike and getting back into skiing after 20 years to try to lower that number bit.
Did you end up buying the bike? Both of my parents in law have since bought the same bikes and I had a chance to ride the xl size. It’s a fantastic bike! You will need to put a bunch of air in the shock but nothing major.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Yep. That's one reason I went with it.
I think it’s a good upgrade. Cheaper then a new fork. My upgraded Yari to Lyric should be ready this week. I decided to let a suspension shop do the install and service. (I just sent the fork and shock only). That way it’s warrentied for a while. Sent in the shock also. I could probably do the upgrade myself but hey…I’ve never done one before.

bilbo

Mar 9, 2018
USA
I think it’s a good upgrade. Cheaper then a new fork. My upgraded Yari to Lyric should be ready this week. I decided to let a suspension shop do the install and service. (I just sent the fork and shock only). That way it’s warrentied for a while. Sent in the shock also. I could probably do the upgrade myself but hey…I’ve never done one before.
Huge upgrade over the stock one,

tadley77

Oct 18, 2021
USA
Did you end up buying the bike? Both of my parents in law have since bought the same bikes and I had a chance to ride the xl size. It’s a fantastic bike! You will need to put a bunch of air in the shock but nothing major.

I did end up getting the bike: Powerfly FS4. The arrival date was supposed to be April 2022 but ended up getting it in November 2021. Unfortunately I live in upstate NY so I haven't had much opportunity to ride it. The bike shop set up the shocks based on my weight and the bike is great. Plenty of travel and exactly what I was looking for.

The only thing I've upgraded so far is the saddle. My first ride was 34 miles and my ass went numb then started to hurt just about halfway through. I couldn't walk right for a few days.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles