Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
Lets hope I've made the right choice coming from a Levo

7024-18754-main-e-180rs-4.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Is that the E180RS? I have a 2019 Levo Comp which I have upgraded with a160mm Lyric Ultimate.....and just bought a E180 RS. I can confirm that if you relish fast techy gravity riding you will love the Whyte. Owning both bikes and being able to compare them on the same trails back to back I classify the Levo as a brilliant trail bike with reasonable Enduro capability. I classify the Whyte as an Enduro bike that is also an ok trail bike. The big difference is the balance and maneuverability of the Whyte. Once at speed it handles about as close as you will get to a well sorted analogue bike.

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
Is that the E180RS? I have a 2019 Levo Comp which I have upgraded with a160mm Lyric Ultimate.....and just bought a E180 RS. I can confirm that if you relish fast techy gravity riding you will love the Whyte. Owning both bikes and being able to compare them on the same trails back to back I classify the Levo as a brilliant trail bike with reasonable Enduro capability. I classify the Whyte as an Enduro bike that is also an ok trail bike. The big difference is the balance and maneuverability of the Whyte. Once at speed it handles about as close as you will get to a well sorted analogue bike.
Hi yes its the E 180 RS V2 was tossing up between this or the Kenevo Expert

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have not ridden the Kenevo but there is one aspect of the Whyte I doubt the Kenevo can match and that is the very low centre of balance of the Whyte. You notice it even just moving the bike around in the garage etc in that if the bike leans over it is so light to pull upright....unlike my Levo for example which is much more top heavy. What this translates to when pointing downhill at speed is the ability to change direction ....sweep left...sweep right....much more quickly and with less rider input and effort.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Should be nice, on the 160 you can really feel like you are sitting in the bike if you set the seat in a lower position, just watch it pointing down hill because it will fly. I'm usually on mine questioning if I should be going downhill that fast in the Peaks.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I have not ridden the Kenevo but there is one aspect of the Whyte I doubt the Kenevo can match and that is the very low centre of balance of the Whyte. You notice it even just moving the bike around in the garage etc in that if the bike leans over it is so light to pull upright....unlike my Levo for example which is much more top heavy. What this translates to when pointing downhill at speed is the ability to change direction ....sweep left...sweep right....much more quickly and with less rider input and effort.
I agree with this 100% ,sometimes I find myself throwing my bike into swoopy bends left then right then left again and the bike just seems to digs in and take it. Bit scary sometimes because if I know the trail I tend to go a bit faster next time round.

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
Well I’ve picked it up, it’s nice but not quite the well factor so the jury is out at the moment

Last edited:

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
What is it you don’t like.
Not that I don’t like It, just coming from a Specialized things are a lot different and it’s a lot heavier, but there’s no taking away the components they use are up there with the best of them.

If I don’t get on with it I’m sure somebody would snap it up, so will refrain from registering it for now

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
WHYTE 160.jpg

I also picked up my E160 last Friday. First E-bike.
Slightly struggling philosophically, since cycling should include suffering. Therefore spent the weekend beating myself up on acoustic bikes.
First assisted outing today (apart from the demo I did in Forest of Dean prior to purchase)

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
Not that I don’t like It, just coming from a Specialized things are a lot different and it’s a lot heavier, but there’s no taking away the components they use are up there with the best of them.

If I don’t get on with it I’m sure somebody would snap it up, so will refrain from registering it for now

Registering? Have I missed something?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would get rid of the flowers...other than that it looks great...just like mine! The only thing I have changed on mine is the saddle...I'm not into testicular torture!!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
View attachment 40703

Slightly struggling philosophically, since cycling should include suffering. Therefore spent the weekend beating myself up on acoustic bikes.
First assisted outing today (apart from the demo I did in Forest of Dean prior to purchase)
What a strange attitude! "Cycling should include struggle"....who said? Mtb should be about fun, exhilaration, challenge.......not struggle!

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Decided not for me, so if anybody is interested let me know
Put it in for sale section. What is it you don’t like about it. You haven’t given it much chance. But if it’s not right for you I understand, just seems a shame to change bike and then be disappointed. Good luck with sale, sure someone will snap it up.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
View attachment 40703

Give it time. The suffering may occur from unexpected places... eMTBs have been known to make wallets bleed! Mine’s suffering from cramps lately and the recurring spasms keeps it locked shut... ?

Mr President

Sep 20, 2020
monmouth,wales
I would get rid of the flowers...other than that it looks great...just like mine! The only thing I have changed on mine is the saddle...I'm not into testicular torture!!
rode my E160 for the first time yesterday. Had an enjoyable ride, but did feel on a couple of occasions that someone had tapped one of my testicles with a toffee hammer. A pity because from a eating perspective the saddle was fine. I had a similar issue with my sons fabric saddle.

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
Was it the Whyte specifically that is not for you, or e-bikes in general?

I am buying a couple of new push bikes (when I can find them), as the emtb has reminded me just how much I love riding unassisted.
But no way am I selling the Whyte E-150. I will ride whichever I feel like on the day, as the mood takes me.
It’s the whyte bike itself it’s just not me, and didn’t realise how heavy it was compared to my Specialized Levo Expert, anyway all’s good again picked up my S-Works yesterday ?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
rode my E160 for the first time yesterday. Had an enjoyable ride, but did feel on a couple of occasions that someone had tapped one of my testicles with a toffee hammer. A pity because from a eating perspective the saddle was fine. I had a similar issue with my sons fabric saddle.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Measuring your sit bones is a good way to ensure the saddle is wide enough. Most bikes seem to come with 130/135mm wide saddles which are too narrow for me.My sit bones are 116mm. Rule of thumb is to add 25mm so I need a minimum of 140mm saddle......going wider is no problem.
Simple way to measure your sit bones is to find a raised hard surface like a flat bench and a chair. Place a suitable sized sheet of currugated cardboard under your bum and sit on it with your feet up on the chair for about 30 seconds. You can then measure the distance between the centres of the indentations you have left in the cardboard.
If your bum is adequately supported on the main part of the saddle you are less likely to need a full cut out to relieve pressure on your sensitive parts......although some are better blessed than others!! Be aware that if you go for a saddle with a complete cut out or just a hole, your rear wheel is going to have loads of fun plastering your ass with mud and maybe the occasional nice little stone!! ps I like the Ergon SMC Sport Gel....but I would put a bit of gaffer tape on the underside of the hole!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles