New Bike & a few Questions

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
So, I’m like a kid at Christmas!!!!

I have just got back from Leisure Lakes in Nottingham & have bought a 2019 Specialized Levo bass model in black.

I have spent a lot of time reading through the posts on EMTB & have to say you guys are both awesome & very helpful.

I would like to give a special mention to @All Mountain Coaching for his thread on FSR to S-Works as it really helped me with my choice of purchase.

I have not owned a mountain bike for 20 years & am buzzing at the thought of getting out again.

I know I shouldn’t chose a bike based on the colour, but I had my heart set on a matt black one.

I pick it up in a week as they are ordering & fitting me a dropper & remote.

I went in thinking I was going to get a Fox Transfer Performance & a Wolf Tooth remote, but was talked into an xfusion manic instead. What do you guys think? Have I made the right decision as I’m still doubting my decision.

I am looking at getting an invisiframe kit (is it worth it???) for it along with some darker decals as I’m going to go for an all dark stealth look.

I am a big guy at 6.2” & 18 stone. From what I have read I may struggle with the forks (pains of being a bit of a ‘tubber’). Do you guys think I should look to change the forks straight away or just wait & see how I get on. I have been looking at getting something like this:

8B46076D-1E66-4BE0-AD3D-45DFAA46467F.png

But in all honesty I have no idea whether they will fit or are right for the bike really?

If you guys have any thoughts I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks Guys

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
Also I’m a bit worried about the ‘fit’ when it comes to mudguards, what do you think is the best option?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nothing wrong with the X-Fusion - the fox dropper is nothing special, I have a factory model on one bike and its no better or worse than my other droppers. The thing about droppers is all that matters is that they work.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything for the bike that isn't contact point related until you have ridden it for a while, especially if you have been off an MTB for a while. The parts you think you want now will likely be very different to those you end up buying once you have got to know the bike.

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
Thanks R120, I think I may be just being silly, I just went in thinking the Fox option was the way forward.

I’m glad you said that, a couple of people have told me I need to change the forks & shock ASAP.

I’ll just play it by ere for the minute. Thanks Again.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I went full Fox only as I am a Fox Slut..The dropper isn't as positive as the Specialized one and you need a shim to fit it so you lose some 'drop'.

It's buttery smooth and looks the nuts though :)

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
I went full Fox only as I am a Fox Slut..The dropper isn't as positive as the Specialized one and you need a shim to fit it so you lose some 'drop'.

It's buttery smooth and looks the nuts though :)
Hahaha...I know what you mean, Im fighting the urges myself.

I have been searching, but google is not my friend. Do you have any pictures of your bike either with the seat fully up or down (or both would be great) so j can see how it sits.

TIA

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
18 stone aye, same here. What I have found re forks and droppers.
Rockshox 32mm Reba’s broke stantion out of csu after 12months use. Just upgraded to 35mm Yari’s so stiffer and stronger.

Saddle rails will bend and break unless all the way forward. All droppers have zero offset except Specialized Command post at 20mm, KS e-ten, and 9 point 8. Standard Specialized has 8mm off set. Keep this in mind when looking at droppers as if you have to slide the seat back in the rails, you Will bend and break it.

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
18 stone aye, same here. What I have found re forks and droppers.
Rockshox 32mm Reba’s broke stantion out of csu after 12months use. Just upgraded to 35mm Yari’s so stiffer and stronger.

Saddle rails will bend and break unless all the way forward. All droppers have zero offset except Specialized Command post at 20mm, KS e-ten, and 9 point 8. Standard Specialized has 8mm off set. Keep this in mind when looking at droppers as if you have to slide the seat back in the rails, you Will bend and break it.
Jesus, I hadn’t thought about breaking the seat. I might end up losing some weight once I’m out on the bike, although given that I have celebrated with a monster of a curry maybe not.

I think I’ll be ok though as I fit fine on the bike with the seat in the middle.

If I end up with an excuse to upgrade my forks then so be it lol

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Jesus, I hadn’t thought about breaking the seat. I might end up losing some weight once I’m out on the bike, although given that I have celebrated with a monster of a curry maybe not.

I think I’ll be ok though as I fit fine on the bike with the seat in the middle.

If I end up with an excuse to upgrade my forks then so be it lol

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Oh, and if you have trouble with splitting the rear Tyre at the bead. Fit a down hill casing Tyre. Specialized tyres have a black Dimond case and I have found this to be robust enough. The grid case is good on the front, but not so good on the rear for me. I also had Maxxis EXO case fail.

My beast “The Goat”
98716DB8-E38D-471C-A2CF-4A562A094ABC.jpeg

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Welcome to the mad house. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new bike. Glad I could give a little insight and options for you.

The fox is a great post. Real nice audible clonk on full and dropped extension. No experience of the X fusion sorry. But @mattwilson said today that it's the best dropper he's had.

The fox 36 is quite a noticeable upgrade.

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
So I think I have a hell of a lot to learn about biking again...all good fun.

I’ve seen your bike in one of the threads already, very nice & plenty of bling.

The Mrs was not impressed earlier when I went in to “just have a look” & proceeded to drop £4K on a bike & then spend another hour talking to a bloke about hope components haha

I can feel a ‘what she doesn’t know won’t hurt her’ approach coming on to bike related spending ?

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I'm just a bit heavier at 120kg/19 stone and was considering a base model but ended up going to the Comp for the 35mm forks and dropper. In your situation I'd definitely ride it pretty much as stock initially, but with a view to upgrading the forks to 35/36mm diameters and maybe beefing up the brakes. My Manic X fusion dropper lasted six months before seizing and was replaced with A Command Post - it's ok, but nowhere near the Thomson Elite like I had on a previous bike (with a brilliant Wolftooth remote). I reckon tyre inserts are good as well (I have CushCore front and back), running 20/24PSI (front/rear) - plenty of traction but no tyre squirm in corners.

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
I'm just a bit heavier at 120kg/19 stone and was considering a base model but ended up going to the Comp for the 35mm forks and dropper. In your situation I'd definitely ride it pretty much as stock initially, but with a view to upgrading the forks to 35/36mm diameters and maybe beefing up the brakes. My Manic X fusion dropper lasted six months before seizing and was replaced with A Command Post - it's ok, but nowhere near the Thomson Elite like I had on a previous bike (with a brilliant Wolftooth remote). I reckon tyre inserts are good as well (I have CushCore front and back), running 20/24PSI (front/rear) - plenty of traction but no tyre squirm in corners.
Cush core tyre inserts??? Something else I know nothing about. That’s really helpful thanks.

Did you get your money back or anything on the xfusion, it seemed like a good idea saving 1/3 against the cost of the Fox, especially given how much credit they were giving it at Leisure Lakes, it I don’t fancy dropping another few hundred quid in 6 months time.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
Cush core tyre inserts??? Something else I know nothing about. That’s really helpful thanks.

Did you get your money back or anything on the xfusion, it seemed like a good idea saving 1/3 against the cost of the Fox, especially given how much credit they were giving it at Leisure Lakes, it I don’t fancy dropping another few hundred quid in 6 months time.
The Manic post was replaced under warranty so no charge.

Max-E

Apr 30, 2019
UK
The Sektor fork is not the best, the 2019 Revelation with the Charger damper and 35mm stanchions is a big step up. You can find them for about £300 as new takeoffs on eBay and you should get £175 for your Sektor if sold brand new take off the same way.

The 36mm Fox would be a good bet too - make sure with the takeoffs on eBay you get the correct steerer length, offset etc. Lots of permutations on Fox forks from OEM.

But with you being 18 stone with the bike on top that's 135 kg going against that suspension - you might want to look at coils too especially on the rear (Bomber CR with spring circa £400 at TFT?) - that's a heck of a strain on an inline air shock.

The ZTTO dropper lever is fantastic value at £15 posted - a Wolftooth clone basically.

ztto dropper lever | eBay

Last edited:

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I have the 2019 base model in matt black and I fitted an x fusion dropper, so far its been really good, the 2019 Seatpost is 34.9 so that limits dropper post choice unless you are prepared to shim it! I wasn't!
I fitted Lyrics at 160mm was a no brainer as I had them already, I replaced the brakes but to be honest the levels which came with the bike were ok.
as others have said ride it first as is, you will have a much better idea of what works and what dont.
im17 stone and I did bend my seat rails a bit (lazy bastid should stand up more)but the saddle that comes with the bike is el cheapo I bought one with hollow cromeolly rails and so far its worked perfect

Marf83

May 7, 2019
Derby
The EMTB Forums jersey is the most important upgrade ??
They do look good. I went with the stealth one as a) it will match the look of the bike b) I couldn’t get my size in the regular one hahaha

I’m looking forward to representing ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles