Bafang m820

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Does anyone know how natural the m820 torque sensor implementation is compared to a Specialized Levo SL? I’m trying to convince my wife to trade in the Specialized for a m820 bike and she is worried it won’t be as smooth and natural feeling.
She is right. Lets wait for sucessor of M820.

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Picture of battery wires on left and incorrect wire on right.

View attachment 135890

So now I saw already 4 different types of connectors for battery CAN. Thats crazy.

I doubt you would find easily main cable with green round connector to battery.

You can try to build it DYI. I just did one recently to one customer as he wanted to have throttle support. That was 3pin triangle though. Anyway, you can run it also from speed sensor connector.
And motor works also without Battery CAN connector.

borysgo2

Feb 1, 2023
Ireland

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
Is it possible to somehow make the M820 work from the throttle stick? It can somehow bind to the walking mode, only increase the speed. Or trick the torque sensor so that the motor runs from the button. It is enough to have a low speed in the area of 10 km/h at the touch of a button, as in the example with walking mode. It is very convenient when a leg is injured or it is necessary to cross a deep river.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Knowing that the M820 is not protected at all from water in the CEF50, if I have to cross a deep river the CEF50 is going to be on my back. I don't think there is any way to add a throttle. I think M820 was specifically designed so that could not be done.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Most likely but there have been different versions of bosche cranks over the years. Also you have to be concerned with "Q". How close the pedals are to the frame. Also, of course, crank length.

keyne

May 30, 2023
New Zealand
I agree. If she'd happy with the current Levo SL, let it be I say.
Her alloy levo SL is only 240w and 320whr battery, the motor isn’t exactly quiet and it weighs 20kg. It is nice to ride but she wants a bit more power and more range if possible. I thought the lce930 frame with m820 motor could be a good option. Just worried about the m820 controller and how intuitive it is to pedal input compared to the levo.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Her alloy levo SL is only 240w and 320whr battery, the motor isn’t exactly quiet and it weighs 20kg. It is nice to ride but she wants a bit more power and more range if possible. I thought the lce930 frame with m820 motor could be a good option. Just worried about the m820 controller and how intuitive it is to pedal input compared to the levo.
lot off parameters can be adjust (with BESST tool) on the M820 to personalize motor functioning

spokémon

Apr 4, 2023
Australia

The M820 isn't quiet either, but the frame allows for a bigger battery than SL and certainly has much more power.
As @patdam has said, the motor can be tuned to your preference. The only thing I don't like is the slight over-run.
It's not aggressive, but it is there, and it's not tunable.

The SL looks well packaged/presented (fit, finish, app) whereas the M820 is a DIY system. But it allows you the most flexibility.

Specialized is very natural, m600 feels like a delayed light switch on comparison. Which is m820 closer to?

I've never ridden an SL, but the M820 certainly doesn't feel like a "delayed light switch"

Dado

Jun 28, 2022
Bratislava
Is it possible to somehow make the M820 work from the throttle stick? It can somehow bind to the walking mode, only increase the speed. Or trick the torque sensor so that the motor runs from the button. It is enough to have a low speed in the area of 10 km/h at the touch of a button, as in the example with walking mode. It is very convenient when a leg is injured or it is necessary to cross a deep river.

Hello Lanton.

Even if the hardware pin for throttle would be connected to microcontroller, they just disabled function in firmware which is taking care of throttle - it is just analogue value.
You would need to hack the firmware. Or as you saying somehow trick torque sensor - which means to get between controller and torque sensor (that 6 pin connector).

And one fun fact, that torque sensor is not communicating over CAN.

Last edited:

aledavi

Mar 4, 2024
tarragona
Hello.

I am riding a set of LCE930 electric bike with Bafang M820 motor.
I would like to buy a 32-tooth chainring, but I can't find it anywhere.
Could someone tell me where I can buy it?

greetings

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Hello.

I am riding a set of LCE930 electric bike with Bafang M820 motor.
I would like to buy a 32-tooth chainring, but I can't find it anywhere.
Could someone tell me where I can buy it?

greetings
? all of 32 teeths in 104 BCD on the market fit. What do you search exactly to don't found that ?

aledavi

Mar 4, 2024
tarragona
? all of 32 teeths in 104 BCD on the market fit. What do you search exactly to don't found that ?
Hello.
What I'm looking for is a 32T chainring since the one the motor comes with is 34T and I find it too big for me. Currently on my mtb I go with a 32T chainring and it seems to me that it will be very big.
I would like to buy a 32T one
greetings

IMG_20240417_195731.jpg

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
Hello.
What I'm looking for is a 32T chainring since the one the motor comes with is 34T and I find it too big for me. Currently on my mtb I go with a 32T chainring and it seems to me that it will be very big.
I would like to buy a 32T one
greetings

View attachment 138725
Ok. clear. Your motor is not provided with spider (first time i see that ?). You can find a lot in ali (same than M510). But, as i haven"t purchased i can't recomand one in particular, i'm not sure that all keep the same width for chain line. ask to dealers if they have original width. Or ask to your motor supplier, the original bafang spider.

aledavi

Mar 4, 2024
tarragona
Ok. clear. Your motor is not provided with spider (first time i see that ?). You can find a lot in ali (same than M510). But, as i haven"t purchased i can't recomand one in particular, i'm not sure that all keep the same width for chain line. ask to dealers if they have original width. Or ask to your motor supplier, the original bafang spider.
thank you so much

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles