New 2021 Stance Owner, bike is great, App sucks

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
Ride Control App connects fine (most of the time), but the tuning and ride control options on the main screen are grayed out and not selectable, if you start a ride, the RPM's and Remaining Range are always zero, the distance and energy just increment at a constant rate even when I am not moving, the speed is always 26.1 km/hr. Bike is a brand new 2021 Stance E+ 1 29er, here are some screenshots, any ideas?
Screenshot_20200810-225052_RideControl.jpg Screenshot_20200810-143356_RideControl.jpg

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
It’s a universally held opinion that the Giant app is not very good. There’s a new one in the works though apparently.
The RideControl portion will be greyed out as it’s only for bikes with displays. I can’t help with the rest of your woes though. My advice would be to forget the app and enjoy riding your bike... that’s what I did.

Sid_79

Jul 14, 2020
Uk
Yeah I'm afraid the app is terrible!! I have a trance E+1 2020 sometimes it will connect but most times it won't! Hopefully the new updated app is not to far away. Enjoy your new bike ?

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Seems like maybe the Android version is worse than the iOS one. I've had no issues connecting or updating with my iPhone.

Either way, hopefully the mythical new version isn't too far away.

Elwood

Aug 22, 2020
Auckland
Ride Control App connects fine (most of the time), but the tuning and ride control options on the main screen are grayed out and not selectable, if you start a ride, the RPM's and Remaining Range are always zero, the distance and energy just increment at a constant rate even when I am not moving, the speed is always 26.1 km/hr. Bike is a brand new 2021 Stance E+ 1 29er, here are some screenshots, any ideas?
View attachment 37840 View attachment 37841
My Giant Explorer had firmware uodated by LBS because APP 1.4.5 failed to update IT.
Today's test ride shows the same stats as yours 26.1kph 0 cadence and no range data. Using samsung S9 Andriod.Back to LBS.

Screenshot_20200920-180255_RideControl.jpg

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I didn’t have problems with the app (iPhone) on my 2019 Trance - but there’s nothing worthwhile in there anyway. So I just stopped opening it. Too risky judging from all I’ve heard. Maybe Giant shut down their site to stop automatic updates that seem to cause more problems.

I switch my bike on, I enjoy my great rides, I switch it off.

Have no intention of doing anything different until I hear positive user reviews of a new long awaited bug-free app. Giant make nice bikes but software... no.

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
There is a new version of the app out now, works perfectly.
Never had any trouble with the old one for that matter, connected four different bikes on two different iPhones with it, no issues.
No experience with the android version.
We just picked up a 21 Stance E+1 - the sage green one. Really nice bike for the wife, and as a spare or for guests.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I got the 2020 9 months ago. I got used to just ride and recharge + lube and smile.
I find it is great having no display there is no distraction and very small chance of damage when i fall.
Because of covid stores are empty.
I am curious is there enough room for a 2.8 in front or a 2.6?
Same for rear?

Browneye

Feb 27, 2020
So-CAL
I got the 2020 9 months ago. I got used to just ride and recharge + lube and smile.
I find it is great having no display there is no distraction and very small chance of damage when i fall.
Because of covid stores are empty.
I am curious is there enough room for a 2.8 in front or a 2.6?
Same for rear?

Yeah, I don't need a display. On my Trance, early on I would start the ride app and put my phone in my pocket, so I had trip data. I don't much bother any more, just ride the bike.

Then I got an extra set of wheels with road tires on them so I can convert the bike to supermoto with just axle swaps. And put a phone mount on the bars for roading, works just killer. I had a 2019 Explore but sold it. It became redundant when I was able to convert the Trance.

The stance will fit 2.6 tires for sure, quite possibly 2.8, but I wouldn't bother. I ran a 2.8 Minion DHR rear on the Trance for a time and finally replaced with a EXO 2.6. It's less bulky, rolls a little faster, the 2.8 is just rather a little too big. 2.4's work really well on the Stance 29 wheels, plenty of traction there. 2.6 isn't that much bigger, surely would work.

The new Stance is the wife's bike, she'll ride it 80% on bike paths and road, so I just installed a set of Schwalbe Hurricane tires in 2.4 size. They have the shoulder knobs so any hardpack will still be an easy encounter. Once her skill level improves and we want to start on some easy trails, I'll swap the Rekon back on the rear, and I have a High Roller II for the front from another take-off. Yeah, I've got LOTS of tires hanging from the garage rafters in both 27.5 and 29. LOL

My 2019 Trance-E+2 Pro setup for road...

And the new 2021 Stance E+1...

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Yeah, I don't need a display. On my Trance, early on I would start the ride app and put my phone in my pocket, so I had trip data. I don't much bother any more, just ride the bike.

Then I got an extra set of wheels with road tires on them so I can convert the bike to supermoto with just axle swaps. And put a phone mount on the bars for roading, works just killer. I had a 2019 Explore but sold it. It became redundant when I was able to convert the Trance.

The stance will fit 2.6 tires for sure, quite possibly 2.8, but I wouldn't bother. I ran a 2.8 Minion DHR rear on the Trance for a time and finally replaced with a EXO 2.6. It's less bulky, rolls a little faster, the 2.8 is just rather a little too big. 2.4's work really well on the Stance 29 wheels, plenty of traction there. 2.6 isn't that much bigger, surely would work.

The new Stance is the wife's bike, she'll ride it 80% on bike paths and road, so I just installed a set of Schwalbe Hurricane tires in 2.4 size. They have the shoulder knobs so any hardpack will still be an easy encounter. Once her skill level improves and we want to start on some easy trails, I'll swap the Rekon back on the rear, and I have a High Roller II for the front from another take-off. Yeah, I've got LOTS of tires hanging from the garage rafters in both 27.5 and 29. LOL

My 2019 Trance-E+2 Pro setup for road...

And the new 2021 Stance E+1...

Thanks Chris. I know on 2.5/2.4 we can find traction but to use it year round the option of 2.8/2.6 is nice. I am curious and those sizes are about the only ones i have not tried. We have 4 months of snow/ice when i switch to studded.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles