New 2021 power sx

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Yeah mate I read your initial reply about the torque process and hollowtech caps..thanks for that information. I'm going to take extra care sorting the crank as I don't want to ruin my rides worrying if it'll happen again.

I spoke to ethirteen about the issue and they were happy to help with a replacement cap etc... Commencal have yet to get back to me. Besides this issue, albeit a large issue, the bike performs great, buzzing to get back out ??

To be honest I am quite apprehensive when I ride the bike now that it will happen again. I suppose I'll be a it less worried about it happening again after some more successful rides... I really dread the thought of it coming off at a really bad time or leaving me stranded balls deep in the trail.

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Just an update. About 100 miles after the updated retorque procedure, the non drive side crank cap started to show signs of slippage again. Then it rapidly loosened about 1/4 turn after breaking the torque stripe after about 10 more miles and the crank arm hadoved outboard a couple millimeters.

I redid the torque but increased the torque values in hopes that it will learn to stay put. I know you are supposed to periodically check torques on bikes but I have never owned a bike that I've really had to. My acoustic bike I haven't touched the crank bolts in five years and it hasn't moved.

If this doesn't work I'm not sure what my next plan will be other than to wait for some other brand of crank arms that fit this thing to hit the market. Preferably shimano.

Gw0175

Aug 30, 2020
Scotland
Just an update. About 100 miles after the updated retorque procedure, the non drive side crank cap started to show signs of slippage again. Then it rapidly loosened about 1/4 turn after breaking the torque stripe after about 10 more miles and the crank arm hadoved outboard a couple millimeters.

I redid the torque but increased the torque values in hopes that it will learn to stay put. I know you are supposed to periodically check torques on bikes but I have never owned a bike that I've really had to. My acoustic bike I haven't touched the crank bolts in five years and it hasn't moved.

If this doesn't work I'm not sure what my next plan will be other than to wait for some other brand of crank arms that fit this thing to hit the market. Preferably shimano.
Not good to hear mate. What did you torque the crank arm to this time around? Did you use any threadlock on the bolts also? Mines has been good simce the initial re-torque ??

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Not good to hear mate. What did you torque the crank arm to this time around? Did you use any threadlock on the bolts also? Mines has been good simce the initial re-torque ??

I retorqued to 18nm for the pinch bolts and 5nm for the cap this time. I originally used thread lock on the pinch bolts but not the cap. This time around I also applied it to the cap. To be fair I have been doing a ton of jumping and really hard riding on this thing since it is so confidence inspiring.

I am really hoping I didn't bugger the female splines on the left crank when it first fell off. Time will tell. I probably wouldn't have noticed the movement if I wasn't watching my torque stripe like a hawk. Hopefully yours continues to stay on! Cheers

beneseleve

Nov 18, 2020
Austria
Hello guys!

I have the Meta SX Ride and the Rearshock bottoms out from time to time. Its not a big
deal on my local trails, but in spring i'll visit some bikeparks and for bigger jumps
i dont think the progression is enough.(SAG is 25%)
Now my question! would you go for a coil shock or do you think some volumespacer
could fix the issue.

rafaellop

Dec 8, 2020
Poland
Volume spacers should fix this. A coil spring may have an opposite effect (more bottoming) unless you'd use a heavy spring which will be less comfortable (plush). My way would be adding some tokens to the current air shock. That would be a lot cheaper.

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
Hello guys!

I have the Meta SX Ride and the Rearshock bottoms out from time to time. Its not a big
deal on my local trails, but in spring i'll visit some bikeparks and for bigger jumps
Now my question! would you go for a coil shock or do you think some volumespacer
could fix the issue.
Hi - that's kind of the perfect scenario for volume spacers. Agree that the coil is not going to solve that issue (unless you go with a very heavy spring that is going to affect overall shock compliance). I ride spacers in all my air shocks (maxed out on my DH rig) - makes an enormous difference and still maintain the early traction/suppleness). Hope this helps - easy and cheap to try.

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
I retorqued to 18nm for the pinch bolts and 5nm for the cap this time. I originally used thread lock on the pinch bolts but not the cap. This time around I also applied it to the cap. To be fair I have been doing a ton of jumping and really hard riding on this thing since it is so confidence inspiring.

I am really hoping I didn't bugger the female splines on the left crank when it first fell off. Time will tell. I probably wouldn't have noticed the movement if I wasn't watching my torque stripe like a hawk. Hopefully yours continues to stay on! Cheers
Just wanted to say thanks for posting this - I get my Sig SX in Feb (fingers crossed) and after changing out stem/bars this will be one of the first things I check and deal with. Really appreciate the info.

Generally like the guys at e-13 but there reliability and robustness of some of their products (especially cranks, etc.) are a bit suspect.

beneseleve

Nov 18, 2020
Austria
Hi - that's kind of the perfect scenario for volume spacers. Agree that the coil is not going to solve that issue (unless you go with a very heavy spring that is going to affect overall shock compliance). I ride spacers in all my air shocks (maxed out on my DH rig) - makes an enormous difference and still maintain the early traction/suppleness). Hope this helps - easy and cheap to try.

Ok thx guys!
Will upgrade my shock with some volumespacers. I am totaly hyped to hit some big jumps this year. I am curios how this beast handles in the air but i think it will be more like an mx kind of feeling than a dh bike feeling.

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Hello guys!

could fix the issue.

Try adding one or two volume tokens before you spend more money. It should come with one token installed if it was like mine. You can add two more rockshox tokens to increase the progressiveness. There is an aftermarket token that lets you increase it one stage more evidently if you wanna go one step further after maxing it out with 3 oem tokens.

Also in air the bike still feels more like a bike rather than an MX imo. You definitely feel the weight more if you're used to whipping a 30ish lb bike instead of a 54lb one. It also has a tendency to wanna jump with front up ass down which you learn to correct when jumping

IainF

Jan 10, 2021
UK
Range anxiety!
From earlier in the thread
"A question I'm sure a lot of people have is concerning battery range. Well after 35 miles I had used 2 out of 5 bars. But be aware that this particular trail does not have a ton of elevation change and is pretty fast and flowing. The elevation gain is around 1900 feet. However I am a fatass. I weigh over 200 pounds and I rode the bike in a way that was not very nice to battery range. I have really poor cadence and I tend to stay in really tall gears and sprint/ brute force my way up hills. I am aware that it is probably bad for the drivetrain."
Well, I'm so envious. I've got the Meta Power 29 Signature 2021 and I'm getting a maximum of 25 miles from fully charged to zero (i.e.no assistance from the bike, range reading zero) with 350m climbing. I weigh 85Kg and am happy to spin a high cadence on the climbs. Could I have a duff battery?
Though in reply to another post of mine about this, there was shared experience of this low range.
Cheers
Iain

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Range anxiety!
"A question I'm sure a lot of people have is concerning battery range. Well after 35 miles I had used 2 out of 5 bars. But be aware that this particular trail does not have a ton of elevation change and is pretty fast and flowing. The elevation gain is around 1900 feet. However I am a fatass. I weigh over 200 pounds and I rode the bike in a way that was not very nice to battery range. I have really poor cadence and I tend to stay in really tall gears and sprint/ brute force my way up hills. I am aware that it is probably bad for the drivetrain."
Well, I'm so envious. I've got the Meta Power 29 Signature 2021 and I'm getting a maximum of 25 miles from fully charged to zero (i.e.no assistance from the bike, range reading zero) with 350m climbing. I weigh 85Kg and am happy to spin a high cadence on the climbs. Could I have a duff battery?
Though in reply to another post of mine about this, there was shared experience of this low range.
Cheers
Iain

Well there are many factors that contribute to battery life as I am sure you've heard about fifty times. I did notice that when riding in colder weather the battery life takes a pretty significant downturn. Fortunately where I live most of my riding since I've had the bike has been done in 70 degree weather. I rode in the early morning when it was closer to 32 and the battery bars dropped about twice as fast it seemed like. This is all just my personal experience however.

IainF

Jan 10, 2021
UK
Yes, you're right. My rides have been at close to freezing, so I'm hoping that in the summer the range will improve significantly. Bit disappointed at present though:(

thecremeegg

Feb 9, 2020
Hampshire UK
Range anxiety!
Cheers
Iain

That does sound a bit broken unless you were turboing the whole way?

IainF

Jan 10, 2021
UK
No, I was in Trail with no use of Boost.
I am learning about the settings however. Last ride managed 26 miles in 0°C about 400m climbing and two bars left on finishing. Rode almost exclusively in Eco and had dialled max torque in Trail down to 63Nm...only using Trail for significant climbs.
Rob (of the eMTB channel) commented above that he had similar experience to mine (for short range).
I guess it will be an iterative process of trying not to take all the fun out of it but still get reasonable range.
I suspect that I will end up only allowing max torque in Boost.
I'll see how it goes.
Cheers
Iain
That does sound a bit broken unless you were turboing the whole way?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles