New 2019 top suspension linkage.

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
Has anyone else noticed the newer seat stay to seat tube suspension linkage this year. The '19 linkage puts the rear suspension in a slightly higher position at full extension. The BB is clearly lower compared to the wheel axles and the head angle a little slacker on both the 27.5 and 29 '19 versions compared to last years bikes however the quoted BB drop and frame angles are identical. Or am I imagining it all? Put this years and last on two different browser tabs and flick between them, it's more than a slight difference.

COMMENCAL 2018 | META POWER RACE 650B GREY 2018

COMMENCAL 2019 | META POWER RACE 650B 2019

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I had heard of that new link ,not cheap is it ?
I would of thought they would be advertising a revised geometry if that was the reason or the outcome . If the figures quoted read the same then I would take that as true ,
No idea why they have changed this part , I’ve not heard of any problems with the old one .
I really wouldn’t want to lower the rear , just fitting a lower or smaller rear tyre is noticeable .
I’ve played about with different tyre sizes etc but can really improve on the original set up , although some have fitted the 170mm air spring which I guess will improve the downs but not the ups

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Nice to have the option. After a nasty pedal strike today, I am not looking to lower the bb. I've got a 170 fork and 2.5 rear, so it's slacker. I should be shopping for 165 cranks.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Nice to have the option. After a nasty pedal strike today, I am not looking to lower the bb. I've got a 170 fork and 2.5 rear, so it's slacker. I should be shopping for 165 cranks.
I got quite anal measuring tyres earlier in th year after realising that so many are well under size especially in thier profile . I had learned the original clearance and got pedal strikes under controll , then fitted a smaller rear and to start the learning all over again , but it was really too low with anything less than the original tyres

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
Nice observation! Looks like the 29er still has same geometry but the shock linkage looks beefier. Perhaps to reduce rear end flex and shock body wear?

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
Hmmmm I think I may have found something related to the rocker link change. It refers to the regular pedal meta 4.2.

Go to 8min :30seconds on this video

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
That makes sense as it's a common part on both bikes. I still think theyve changed the rocker slightly at the same time to allow the rear end to sit a little further into it's travel at full extension as the seatstays clearly overlap the seat tube a little more this year. If it was a late component change as a result of the bearing issue just before the 2019 launch it may explain with the geometry tables have not been updated. Would love to get a '18 and '19 bike side by side in real life.

Last edited:

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
This got me wondering if some offset bushings would work on the Commencal to lower and slacken it?
You'd probably be better off with an angled headset as it will slacken the HA and raise the seat angle at the same time as well as drop the BB. The shock bushes will drop the BB a little more but the head angle won't drop as much but it will also slacken the seat tube angle which you don't want.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles