Neuron On screen

Weegi

Dec 28, 2018
Stirling
Already

Tried it 10 times. In the menu there is no Bluetooth. Light, beep, etc all can be changed. But Bluetooth isn’t there.

Have you looked at http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-E7000-00-ENG.pdf , if you go to page 118 then there is a section that states:

Bluetooth® LE connection
Communication can only be received under the following conditions. Switch the external device
to connection mode in advance.
• Within 15 seconds of the main power for SHIMANO STEPS turning ON
• Within 15 seconds of operating any button other than the SHIMANO STEPS power switch

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
Even on the E8000, the bluetooth doesn't remember the phone and you have to select 'Bluetooth LE/ANT' in the control unit menu to allow it to pair with the E-Tube App every time.

But if there isn't a 'Bluetooth LE/ANT' to select in the E7000 menu to pair, then it won't o_O

Take a look at this Shimano info here... E7000 e-Bike System – SHIMANO STEPS. It does say E7000 has 'Bluetooth LE / ANT private'. Don't know what the private is about. Might just need enabling somehow.

I've just found this might be what's needed as the E7000 doesn't have wireless built in, maybe... Shimano EW-WU111 - Di2 D-Fly ANT+ Bluetooth Wireless Unit

I'd contact Shimano before buying one as they ain't cheap! Or just buy a Shimano Steps SC-E8000 Display Ø 31,8/35mm black at Bikester.co.uk which has bluetooth/wireless.

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I've just found this might be what's needed as the E7000 doesn't have wireless built in, maybe... Shimano EW-WU111 - Di2 D-Fly ANT+ Bluetooth Wireless Unit

You wouldn't be able to connect a EW-WU111 (or EW-EN100) at the same time as the E7000 display - with the Shimano setup it's either a wireless junction unit (with no display) or a display (and they all have wireless connectivity built in).

No idea why bluetooth isn't working for @pallie - since it is clearly mentioned that you can use it in that E7000 manual.

And if Shimano say it isn't supported yet, then why are they also promoting the E-Tube Ride app? Seems weird ...

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Does the Neuron On have an E8000 motor with that E7000 display? Because on this E-Tube Ride page E-TUBE RIDE | Shimano it says if you have that combination: "For E-TUBE RIDE app use, please update firmware to the latest version released on 14 Sep. 2018".

But surely Canyon would have put the latest firmware on the bike, wouldn't they?!

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Does the Neuron On have an E8000 motor with that E7000 display? Because on this E-Tube Ride page E-TUBE RIDE | Shimano it says if you have that combination: "For E-TUBE RIDE app use, please update firmware to the latest version released on 14 Sep. 2018".

But surely Canyon would have put the latest firmware on the bike, wouldn't they?!
Yeah, the Neuron has the E8000 motor with the E7000 screen. I'm hoping the E7000 does come with bluetooth because I wanna use the app with it also.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Even on the E8000, the bluetooth doesn't remember the phone and you have to select 'Bluetooth LE/ANT' in the control unit menu to allow it to pair with the E-Tube App every time.

But if there isn't a 'Bluetooth LE/ANT' to select in the E7000 menu to pair, then it won't o_O

Take a look at this Shimano info here... E7000 e-Bike System – SHIMANO STEPS. It does say E7000 has 'Bluetooth LE / ANT private'. Don't know what the private is about. Might just need enabling somehow.

I'd contact Shimano before buying one as they ain't cheap! Or just buy a Shimano Steps SC-E8000 Display Ø 31,8/35mm black at Bikester.co.uk which has bluetooth/wireless.
So the difference in price between the e7000 and e8000 displays is £20 yet when I asked the canyon reps why they didn't use the e8000 screens on the Neuron they said it was to keep costs down.. Huh.. £20 is nothing when spending 4k on a bike, more bs from the reps.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Okay tried it all, nothing happens. There is no such thing as bluetooth in it.?
So the difference in price between the e7000 and e8000 displays is £20 yet when I asked the canyon reps why they didn't use the e8000 screens on the Neuron they said it was to keep costs down.. Huh.. £20 is nothing when spending 4k on a bike, more bs from the reps.
£20 seems nothing but if you look at it at 500 bikes then we are talking about £10,000. It adds up very quickly and that’s why manufacturers save even £1-2 whenever they can. We can call it BS but this is how it works in industrial production.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
£20 seems nothing but if you look at it at 500 bikes then we are talking about £10,000. It adds up very quickly and that’s why manufacturers save even £1-2 whenever they can. We can call it BS but this is how it works in industrial production.
Yeah, it seems the 2019 Spectral On 7.0 also comes with the E7000 display so cutting costs it seems. You have to pay an extra £500 to get the E8000 display now.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
Yeah, it seems the 2019 Spectral On 7.0 also comes with the E7000 display so cutting costs it seems. You have to pay an extra £500 to get the E8000 display now.

The SC-E8000 displays are 'only' £146.99... Shimano Steps SC-E8000 Display Ø 31,8/35mm black at Bikester.co.uk so you could have a spare.

On their components list, Canyon state E8000 on the Shimano motor and the 8010 battery is the same but don't mention the display. That isn't right really and they should state it only has the E7000 display. I'd be miffed if I then have to buy an extra to use the app :censored:

Last edited:

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Already

Tried it 10 times. In the menu there is no Bluetooth. Light, beep, etc all can be changed. But Bluetooth isn’t there.
I spoke to a rep and he said the E7000 does support bluetooth and that you have to load up the app on phone and follow the instructions and the app will enable to bluetooth.

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
I spoke to a rep and he said the E7000 does support bluetooth and that you have to load up the app on phone and follow the instructions and the app will enable to bluetooth.
I also spoke to them. They said there is bluetooth. I tried it all but really no connection.
Bluetooth on my phone works!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You have to connect via the app, rather than though the setting on your phone, if I recall.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
I also spoke to them. They said there is bluetooth. I tried it all but really no connection.
Bluetooth on my phone works!

I posted this earlier as it looks like you haven't read it...

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I posted this earlier as it looks like you haven't read it...

I think you didn't read my reply to you about the EW-WU111 :) You can't connect a EW-WU111 (or EW-EN100) at the same time as the E7000 display - with the Shimano setup it's either a wireless junction unit (with no display) or a display (and they all have wireless connectivity built in).

This is the latest compatibility chart if you have the E8000 motor if you're interested. DU-E8000 is the drive unit and SC-E7000 is the screen - you can see the bluetooth symbol next to it.
Untitled picture.png

I think the "private" refers to the wireless ANT protocol they use to communicate with some devices like the Garmin Edge 1030 - they seem to use custom messages which don't fit into any of the publicly available device profiles listed here: ANT+ Device Profiles - THIS IS ANT. I guess it's so they can stop "just anyone" communicating and messing with the e-bike data wirelessly.

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
Okay there is a connection with the E-TUBE RIDE app. But no connection with the normal E tube app. So I cannot change settings.
I Will work it out this weekend as i’m very busy at work.

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
I think you didn't read my reply to you about the EW-WU111 :) You can't connect a EW-WU111 (or EW-EN100) at the same time as the E7000 display - with the Shimano setup it's either a wireless junction unit (with no display) or a display (and they all have wireless connectivity built in).

This is the latest compatibility chart if you have the E8000 motor if you're interested. DU-E8000 is the drive unit and SC-E7000 is the screen - you can see the bluetooth symbol next to it.
View attachment 9534

I think the "private" refers to the wireless ANT protocol they use to communicate with some devices like the Garmin Edge 1030 - they seem to use custom messages which don't fit into any of the publicly available device profiles listed here: ANT+ Device Profiles - THIS IS ANT. I guess it's so they can stop "just anyone" communicating and messing with the e-bike data wirelessly.
Ive read it. But its now fine as it is.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Okay there is a connection with the E-TUBE RIDE app. But no connection with the normal E tube app. So I cannot change settings.
I Will work it out this weekend as i’m very busy at work.

Cool that is good news!

I don't know what mode shifter the Neuron has, but if that is E7000, then check this thread for problems with the E-Tube Project: E-TUBE help please - EMTB Forums

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Ive read it. But its now fine as it is.
That's cool, Shimano told me you don't have to set a bluetooth mode on the E7000 ?

"Thank you for reaching out to us!

Yes, the E7000 has a Bluetooth function which allows you to connect with the E-TUBE app. The difference with the E8000 display is that you don't have to set the display in "Bluetooth mode". Every time you push a button there will be a Bluetooth signal.

Kind regards,
Team Shimano"

tompten111

Feb 16, 2019
Sweden
Hi,
Strange.
I have the colored display on My Neuron:ON 6.0.
I ordered it some weeks before Christmas. I got it at the begining of January.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles