Neoprene battery sleeves - cold weather range extenders or gimmick?

frazerrobbo

Mar 7, 2019
Aberdeen, Scotland
Just though I’d get some forum opinion on this.

I bought a neoprene sleeve for my Shimano 500wh steps battery. Mai my to stop crude and water getting over battery and connectors but I also read they can extend the battery range by keeping battery warmer if it’s cold outside by reducing windchill/ambient cold temps on battery.

Anyone got any experience of a neoprene sleeve genuinely extending their range or perceived range based on gut feel?

I’m just curious as I haven’t noficed much but I’ve only used it a few times in shorter trips.

Cheers,
Fraz

mark1a

Mar 11, 2019
Dorset, UK
I have no evidence either way with an e-bike, but my old electric car used to have a significantly shorter range in winter and since I started putting pipe lagging around my road bike seat post when parked in the garage during winter the di2 battery didn’t drain nearly as much, so it could be a factor if really cold.

You’ll just have to try it I guess.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Dunno. Google tells me all battery performance suffers in colder conditions.
Mine definitely kept the external shimano battery less cold in sub zero conditions this winter and only cost about a tenner. Certainly can't do any harm using it in colder conditions if you've already bought one too..

Some folk wear gloves saying it keeps their hands warm in cold conditions.

...sounds like a gimmick to me ;)

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Does blevo give battery temps? Might be worth someone who has a sleeve doing two identical rides, one with, one without and list ambient temp. Then we'll know if the battery is operating at an optimum level. Could be different with integrated and stuck-on too.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Could be different with integrated and stuck-on too.
Hugely I'd have thought.
seeing as an external battery case such as the shimano is 90% exposed to the weather/cold and the neoprene covers the entirety of the exposed casing.

I've not even seen a cover for an internal battery like a Levo has but can't really see it being anywheree near as effective.

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
I have been using a battery cover. On 0-10degree Celsius weather, I think on short trail and turbo nonstop rides until battery is exhausted, ie 1.5-2hr ride: there is little difference in range as the battery internal resistance creates enough heat to keep the pack at good operating temperature. On long epic rides using lots of eco, and lots of stopping, I have noticed more of an effect of a battery cover in the cold.

I would say overall the cover is worth considering if you ride below 10degree celsius a lot.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Dunno. Google tells me all battery performance suffers in colder conditions.
Mine definitely kept the external shimano battery less cold in sub zero conditions this winter and only cost about a tenner. Certainly can't do any harm using it in colder conditions if you've already bought one too..

Some folk wear gloves saying it keeps their hands warm in cold conditions.

...sounds like a gimmick to me ;)

That ride looks well 'ard to me! :eek:

But I would have lost the use of my hands before I even got to the woods. No gloves! OMG!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
That actually is one of the easier trails up there.
The more technical trails look shit POV as the steepness doesn't show and the speed is reduced.
it's not exactly the place to ride if you're a beginner.
Here's the easiest most flowy trail there. (filmed the same day)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Blood Yell @Gary , don't your hands ever get cold?

And that trail might be one of the easier ones in the summer, but covered in ice and snow!.........?

I'm beginning to think I've been living down south for far too long! :eek:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Blood Yell @Gary , don't your hands ever get cold?

And that trail might be one of the easier ones in the summer, but covered in ice and snow!.........?

I'm beginning to think I've been living down south for far too long! :eek:

Actually no. My hands just don't get cold while descending on a mountainbike. I put it down to the fact I'm using them constantly so keeping the blood flowing..
I don't wear gloves on my road bike until temps drop below 3deg either so probably have some sort of lizard blood in me.

Snow is grippy
Ice not so much.

Come up. I'm a decent guide and happy to show you around.
it's not all technical descending.

I actually miss some of the riding dahrn Sahff. (SW mainly, but the SE builders make some rad stuff to ride too, probably BECAUSE it's so flat TBF)

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I have been using a battery cover. On 0-10degree Celsius weather, I think on short trail and turbo nonstop rides until battery is exhausted, ie 1.5-2hr ride: there is little difference in range as the battery internal resistance creates enough heat to keep the pack at good operating temperature. On long epic rides using lots of eco, and lots of stopping, I have noticed more of an effect of a battery cover in the cold.

I would say overall the cover is worth considering if you ride below 10degree celsius a lot.
I agree with this based on my knowledge of lithium chemistry batteries from RC use. The most important part though is the starting temperature of the battery - if that is very cold from the outset you will see significantly decreased battery capacity, and the heat generated through discharge will not be enough to raise it into a better operating range.

I suspect the key thing is to make sure the battery goes on to your bike at as near to room temp as possible - that means keeping the battery inside the house until just before you ride in cold conditions, or (if you need to travel to the start of your ride in the car) making sure the battery is inside the car even if the bike is outside (be sure to cover the contacts to prevent dirty spray from the road getting in there). After that a cover should help to keep that residual warmth in the pack for a bit longer, but the longer you are out there the less effect I imagine it wil have. For my RC packs (which are much smaller therefore cool down quicker outside) I even have a warmed bag I keep them in at the field on cold days.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That says to me that in winter, I should protect the battery in my Focus with something insulating when it's on the tow-bar rack. Then remove it for the ride.
Sounds a reasonable step to take.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Come up. I'm a decent guide and happy to show you around.
it's not all technical descending.

That is a generous offer Gary, many thanks. I haven't been to Scotland for aaaaaages. You can be sure that when I do get stopped at the border I will use you as a reference. :)

Reactions: -W-

Jaygam

Feb 14, 2019
Hampshire
Not sure about range but it definitely keeps the water and dirt off from the battery, seals and connectors. Even after a wash it remains pristene underneath. For those reasons i would not be without it :)

20190211_083253.jpg

Mar 26, 2019
Anchorage
I ride year round in Alaska commuting to work on a fat tire ebike. Typical riding temperatures are 0F to 15F in the winter and the distance is about 12 miles round trip moving at 14-18 miles per hour. Frankly I doubt a neoprene insulation blanket would make much difference. From what I can tell the battery never gets more than 1-2 F above ambient temperatures without insulation and 1/4” of neoprene would make that difference possibly 4-5 F. Part of the challenge is the battery is mounted on an aluminum down tube which works like an air cooled heat sink and transfers heat right past the neoprene barrier.

Jaygam

Feb 14, 2019
Hampshire
Thats cool it may be so, but it's practical and removable in 2 seconds flat that's more than enough reason for me.
My bike is a tool to be used and maintained would rather a challenge than a fashion accessory :p:p

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Part of the challenge is the battery is mounted on an aluminum down tube which works like an air cooled heat sink and transfers heat right past the neoprene barrier.
Except the Shimano E8000 battery is not mounted directly to the Alu downtube.
On my vitus it didn't touch the downtube at all.
only the lower and top mounting couplings. (both plastic/rubber) shrouded

As above. it can't do any harm. and it doesn't look any different than a black E8000 battery and takes seconds to fit/remove.
For not much more than the price of a packet of cigarettes I thought it was worth fitting for sub zero days here.
whether it really did help with battery condition or range i'll never truely know.

Last edited:

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
A thin layer of neoprene has virtually non-existant insulating quality... but, if it's what you choose to believe, it will work for you.

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
I agree thin neoprene proabably useless. I got this NC-17 cover which seems to work for my external e8000 shimano battery fine: is fairly thick and feels like it would have some insulation properties.

DF617036-36F7-4AEA-8C78-3C42CC67A5C1.jpeg

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Looking to buy a neopren sleeve for my Turbo Levo for cold winter days, does any1 use this one from Basil? Does it fit nicely on Levo (MY19/20)? You had to remove the bottle cage to fit?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Looking to buy a neopren sleeve for my Turbo Levo for cold winter days, does any1 use this one from Basil? Does it fit nicely on Levo (MY19/20)? You had to remove the bottle cage to fit?
To answer to may own question: I bought this one and circumference is way to long for TL 2019/2020, I think it must be shortened for at least 5-6cm, I guess Specialized did a fine job making one of the most slickest downtubes with integrated battery .... Now I have to find seamstress to modify it to fit properly, will post photos when it's done ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles