Need help deciding between a 2019 Kenevo Expert or a 2020 Kenevo Comp

Bioni

Mar 30, 2020
Norway
Hello everyone!

My local dealer has a brand new 2019 Kenevo expert for sale for about 750 pounds less then the
2020 Kenevo Comp. I was wondering if anyone here has tried both and can tell me if there is a big
difference in feel.

One more thing, it's a size Large and i am only 5 foot 10" (177cm) tall, and i heard they run a bit big?
Do you think it would suit me or would it be to big and cumbersome?

I will only have the opportunity to demo the 2020 model, so i can't do i direct comparison my self.
Also, there is a bit of a delivery wait for the new models.
So what you all think?

Best regards

fodmtb

Sep 4, 2018
Forest of Dean
I'd say riding a bike that fits you right is the priority. I had the 2019 expert and now on the 2020 version. Both great bikes, 2020's are a tad longer & slacker. Personally, I enjoy my 2020 better for what I ride. Everyones different though. Nice dilemma to have :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I have a 2019 Kenevo in L and I'm the same height as you. At that height you're borderline between sizes so it depends on how you like your bikes to ride. In this instance the L will be slightly longer and more stable, for me, I like it - but then I've not ridden an M.

The 2020 has the advantage that you can have a 700wh battery, so that might influence your decision based on how/where you might ride?

As FOD says, it depends on how/where you ride.. @Christian is the same height and also has a 2019 in M and a 2020 so should be able to give you some other pointers.

Jeffw

Mar 2, 2019
North West
Cant comment on the size thing. I'm 5ft 8in but....

The 2020 Kenevo Comp has the 500w battery as standard.

I had the 2018 Kenevo with a 500w battery and had no end of problems with the bike.

The motor was replaced, as was the TCU and eventually the battery. The new 500wh battery died after one ride.

Specialized UK and my LBS were very supportive throughout and i did get a full refund.
But my dilemna was...do i trust these ebikes from Specialized?

Despite that, i looked at the two 2020 Kenevo's and Levo's. It was a straight shootout between the Kenevo Expert and the Levo Expert (more dosh) as both had the 700w battery. I just did'nt trust the 500w, even though i guess it was different to the actual 2018 one that i had replaced earlier.

I took the plunge and went for the Levo Expert. Amazing bike and just does everything i want and so far, like most, no problems at all. And the 700w battery seems to last an age. Was out for 2 hours yesterday in Trail mode and on return, had 70% remaining.

I like the bike so much, i am now considering a Kenevo also, just for the fun aspect, but would have to be the Expert with 700w battery. But i believe from previous threads, and my LBS, that the comp battery can be upgraded. But at that point, you're getting nearer to the price of the expert?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I have a M 2019 Kenevo expert which I love to bits. I also have an S4 2020 Kenevo with 200mm back and front on 29s. It’s essentially a downhill bike that I use to ride anywhere. Bit of overkill for normal trail riding but I love it. I never rode it stock so I couldn’t tell you how that felt.
My brother has an S3 2020 Kenevo expert and loves it.
At your height a Large 2019 Kenevo is a better size for gravity work or if you like to throw a bike around stick with a medium. I would have preferred a L.
In a 2020 I would say a S3 is probably a better all round size.
I hope that helps.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Tough one. You could buy a second battery for the 2019 for the price difference.
Having said that I think I would go for the 2020.
I have a 19 expert and although it's not lacking at all, well the new one is newer!

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Fit is not just about your height, it's about proportion of legs and body.

@Rob Hancill and I are the same height. Last time I saw him, he was on an XL, I ride a L, both fit just fine.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I had 2019 Kenovo size M and now 2020 size S3 and I'm about same height as you. S3 suits for me absolutely, no problem.Take the expert and switch the fork if you don't like double crown.

And 700Wh battery is so good, longer rides and less worries.

Last edited:

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Don't even contemplate the 2019 Kenevo, the 2020 is completely different and a much better machine.

Sorry not sorry 2019 owners.

PS. I am 5'10 and on an S3 (y)

Last edited:

Bioni

Mar 30, 2020
Norway
Thank you all!

I think i will choose the .19 expert over the .20 comp version based on the suspension alone. Im not so fuzzed about the extra NM and battery, as i am new to E-mtb and will prolly be laughing up hill no mather what bike i choose.

Would love to just go for the 2020 expert, but that would be about two grand more expensive, and im not sure it would be worth it.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
Go
Thank you all!

I think i will choose the .19 expert over the .20 comp version based on the suspension alone. Im not so fuzzed about the extra NM and battery, as i am new to E-mtb and will prolly be laughing up hill no mather what bike i choose.

Would love to just go for the 2020 expert, but that would be about two grand more expensive, and im not sure it would be worth it.
Good choice, you won’t be disappointed. It’s a wicked bike that’ll take you many places, like I said I still enjoy riding mine. It’s a well equipped bike as it is and if your new to emtb it is more than enough bike.
Enjoy mate and be sure to post some photos!

Bioni

Mar 30, 2020
Norway
Just picked up my new bike!
To bad it’s icy rain and storm outside lol

PS: posting this from my phone so not sure how picture turns out :)

AA5A3B17-A8B3-4825-A631-1C66E0A95CA3.jpeg

kenevonaive

Mar 13, 2020
California USA
2020 Kenevo is overkill.I think the large 2019 is perfect for your build,from what I gather on your question,you have never ridden a Kenevo,it's a Beast on gnarly and steep terrain if you're a 68 year old shredder like me!

Bioni

Mar 30, 2020
Norway
My aim is to still be a shredder at level 68 ;).
I'm only 43, but i've been riding MTB for 20 ish years.
Last 5 years more in to enduro and all mountain riding.

Next to the Kenevo i have a Kona process 29'r i will use for more mellow faster trails :)

kenevonaive

Mar 13, 2020
California USA
My aim is to still be a shredder at level 68 ;).
I'm only 43, but i've been riding MTB for 20 ish years.
Last 5 years more in to enduro and all mountain riding.

Next to the Kenevo i have a Kona process 29'r i will use for more mellow faster trails :)
Good on you,UK riders can shredd in any kind weather and terrain,you guy's are awesome!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles