Name one part of your bike you think is perfect.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Rules are one part only, choose anything you like.

For me it's the Fabric Magic grips, I didn't get them at first as they have a smooth area about 10mm long on the outside, I cut that off & now they are perfect, although they wear fast. I had forgotten why we all rolled with mushroom grips on our BMX's back in the day.

Cheers.

Last edited:

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
Rules are one part only, choose anything you like.

For me it's the Fabric Magic grips, I didn't get them at first as they have a smooth area about 10mm long on the outside, I cut that off & now they are perfect, although they wear fast. I had forgotten why we all rolled with mushroom grips on our BMX's back in the day.

Cheers.

The 2016 Fox 36 with damper upgraded to Avalanche that I took off of my old bike is just about perfect, as is the upgraded rear suspension. Everything else about the bike is so-so but it’s still a heck of a lot of fun to ride.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Grips too

But Sensus. not Fabric (have tried those too and they don't really work for me because of the bulged sections position)

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Fox transfer dropper; easy to fit, looks great, really audible clonk at top and bottom and works regardless and faultless.
20181102_151058.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I agree with you about the clunk, but mine went back to fox twice as kept seizing in the first 3 months, but been all good since the last fix. They told me it hadn't been lubed correctly out the factory.

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
For me the absolute perfectness is the frame. I can really feel the effort put by Spesh into engineering and design. It looks stunning too )

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
First time they said they couldn't find a fault - I did point out the inconsistency - having said that the customer service was great, turned around in under a week, no cost etc etc.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
My Fox 36 Grip 2 Kashima coat factory forks.

I've always wondered why MTBs couldn't have forks to equal motocross bikes that are plush and soak up everything. Well now they do.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
The one and only single component, I can truly say - has never! Let me down, and after more than 10 years of use still works perfectly! Just as new.. and is still unsurpassed imho..
Are my Hope brakes.
Ten years ago I bought two sets, the x2 for my trail bike, and the v4 ( twin piston) for my downhill bike. Both with the same interchangable "tech" master cylinder.
Their absolutely amazing! Modulation.. ( yes I know there are two "schools" here. Not all love modulation. I do!) "Swiss watch" predictable precision! And predictable reaction all thrue the lever pull..down to the bars! Give me as the rider, amazing confidence and peace of mind.?
Couple that with beautiful "functional beauty" ( love cnc'd parts - not crappy pot metal castings...) Amazing adjustability with the two large knurled adjusting knobs, for contact point and lever position..
Levers that have zero! Play or slack in them... Yet are reverse spring loaded so they don't get broken off the first time you crash...
Part interchangeability.. robust design... And more.
I could go on forever about these brakes! Just in love with everything about them...
And the are just as good and relevant today as when they first started making them! Unlike all the other passing fads in brakes.
All in all.. an amazing! Product line!
I would never again ride without them..
Tim
IMG_20190423_220043.jpg
IMG_20190423_220153.jpg

Xeretic

Feb 11, 2019
Russia
My Fox 36 Grip 2 Kashima coat factory forks.

I've always wondered why MTBs couldn't have forks to equal motocross bikes that are plush and soak up everything. Well now they do.
Try one of the coil-spring conversion kits for linear and plush suspension - motocross bikes feel plush cause they switched back from air-springs to coils a while ago )

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
The effect.

For the first time in over a decade I get out on my bike as often as possible, maybe 5 times a week and look forward to it each time. I've had it since 4 months and the effect is a long way from getting old.

The rest of the bike is averages and compromise. It's an entry level cube stereo 140 pro. I got a 2018 model, in Feb 2019 in a colour I didn't much like because the price was discounted, but I still considered 3200chf (about 2500gbp) to be an obscene amount of money to spend on a bicycle.

It turns out the compromises don't matter. The 140 travel I have never bottomed, because although I'm 100kgs, I'm also 50 and self employed, therefore more into flow than air.

The sr fork and shock are fine, I don't have experience of better; my only Kashima is in cardigans.

The brakes are a bit weak for a fat guy going down long steep 1000m delineations in Switzerland, so I take a break halfway down. Ok, maybe this is my next upgrade after the dropper.

The drive train is 11speed Shimano xt, which is a good balance between sophistication and replacement cost, because I use the bike a lot and the drive train is very much a consumable.

The motor is Bosch CX, terribly laggy on roads but fine off-road, where I ride most. The battery at 500wh is juuust enough for a 1000m climb and descent.

A couple of rides after buying I felt a Eureka moment and immediately bought the missus a slightly cheaper hardtail.

The colour has grown on me.

It's probably the best 5 grand I've ever spent.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Ergon SM-E Mountain saddle. I never thought I'd be comfortable sitting down as long as I can for as many miles as I can with this saddle on my Meta Power 29er. Super comfortable, and the kickup at the rear definitely helps when doing extended distance climbing.

s1600_vital_mp29_ergon_saddle.jpg

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
All parts that don't need maintenance.

If I really have to pick one, it would be WTB Pure saddle. Been riding it for years, I have one on all of my bikes.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Magic Mary Addix Speedgrip 2.6.

I've been using it for nearly a year an over 1000 miles and it's still totally predictable. I accept it's not the best choice for dry summer trails, but balanced out over the year I couldn't ask for a better front tyre.

Reactions: Dax

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles