Mysterious display & motor fail

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I switched off the motor and leaned my Focus Jam2 against a tree while I took a short break. When I tried to restart, the power-on switch lit up but the screen stayed dark. I checked for loose wires, tried a hard reset, all the usual stuff. Nothing! So I pedalled the bike for the next two miles back to the car park. I was surprised how easy it was because until then I had not ridden with the motor off for more than a few hundred yards.

As I got close to the car park, I came out of the woods and into the sunshine, and a steeper climb. I paused to give my knees a rest and took another look at the wiring. Oh you stupid boy! How could i have missed it! There are two wires going into four possible points at the back of the display and one was clearly missing. Not only that, the missing wire was dangling down near my front wheel. It's amazing what a bit of bright light can reveal. :oops: How the hell did I miss that! :eek:

Once the wire was pushed back in, normal service was resumed. My assumption is that the wire had snagged on the bark of the tree and had been pulled out when I stood the bike upright. The wire pulled out really easily, but much better than snapping!

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
I switched off the motor and leaned my Focus Jam2 against a tree while I took a short break. When I tried to restart, the power-on switch lit up but the screen stayed dark. I checked for loose wires, tried a hard reset, all the usual stuff. Nothing! So I pedalled the bike for the next two miles back to the car park. I was surprised how easy it was because until then I had not ridden with the motor off for more than a few hundred yards.

As I got close to the car park, I came out of the woods and into the sunshine, and a steeper climb. I paused to give my knees a rest and took another look at the wiring. Oh you stupid boy! How could i have missed it! There are two wires going into four possible points at the back of the display and one was clearly missing. Not only that, the missing wire was dangling down near my front wheel. It's amazing what a bit of bright light can reveal. :oops: How the hell did I miss that! :eek:

Once the wire was pushed back in, normal service was resumed. My assumption is that the wire had snagged on the bark of the tree and had been pulled out when I stood the bike upright. The wire pulled out really easily, but much better than snapping!
We had the same issue on my Fiance's bike a few weeks ago, the handlebars twisted when she had a small crash and it pulled the wire out of the screen. Unfortunately we weren't so lucky ?
MVIMG_20190506_145759.jpg

£17.50 and an hour or so to replace ? probably a lot less time for someone experienced but it was my first time dropping the motor out
MVIMG_20190506_174027.jpg

IMG_20190506_174046.jpg

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Had the same problem when I came back for a ride the other day, it powered on then the screen went black. Seems the connections aren't very secure as one had popped out a bit, thought I had messed my bike up though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles