MY19 Levo Comp Freehub

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I want to do a basic inspect, clan and re lube on my freehub but a bit confused about how to access it given all the different types out there. So looking for some basic advice please.

1. My understanding is that the Levo Comp uses a DT Swiss 3 pal freehub which is the Shimano style freehub with splines right along the body. Correct ?
2. Once I remove the cassette lock ring what is the procedure for removing the cassette and freehub so that the freehub is able to be cleaned and re lubed.
3. What lube is used? Grease or oil?

thanks

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
I want to do a basic inspect, clan and re lube on my freehub but a bit confused about how to access it given all the different types out there. So looking for some basic advice please.

1. My understanding is that the Levo Comp uses a DT Swiss 3 pal freehub which is the Shimano style freehub with splines right along the body. Correct ?
2. Once I remove the cassette lock ring what is the procedure for removing the cassette and freehub so that the freehub is able to be cleaned and re lubed.
3. What lube is used? Grease or oil?

thanks
On my Kenevo the cassette simply slides off. The freehub pulls off, but not easy. You might clean it and wrap some duct tape on it to get a better grip. For lubing the freehub pals, I use the DT Swiss grease. It has to be a very light grease or the pals will stick down and not engage the hub. Makes for a very quiet freehub. Just my .02

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
That's great thanks. So looks like an easy job and one worth doing. I just need to get some light grease.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ok thanks . I have ordered the Dt Swiss 3 pawl service kit which includes replacement pawls and retaining spring and the correct grease. It was as cheap as buying just the grease.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Despite above advice there way no way my freehub would pull off. I took the drive side bearing tensioner nut off and then the freehub just slid off easily.
I was quite impressed how well sealed everything was. Very little gunk in the freehub and no sign of water ingress. I replaced the pawls and spring and regreased everything.

I REASSEMBLED BY SLIDING HE FREEHUB BACK ON AND THEN RE SCREWING THE ADJUSTER NUT ON. I WAS LEFT WONDERING WHETHER I SHOULD HAVE PUT THE ADJUSTER NUT BACK ON FIRST AND TRIED PUSHING THE FREEHUB OVER IT???

ScottWest

Oct 17, 2019
Oregon
Despite above advice there way no way my freehub would pull off. I took the drive side bearing tensioner nut off and then the freehub just slid off easily.
I was quite impressed how well sealed everything was. Very little gunk in the freehub and no sign of water ingress. I replaced the pawls and spring and regreased everything.

I REASSEMBLED BY SLIDING HE FREEHUB BACK ON AND THEN RE SCREWING THE ADJUSTER NUT ON. I WAS LEFT WONDERING WHETHER I SHOULD HAVE PUT THE ADJUSTER NUT BACK ON FIRST AND TRIED PUSHING THE FREEHUB OVER IT???
Oh! I'm sorry, mine must be different

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
maybe not which is why I am asking about the right order to reassemble. There is a seal seated on the outside of the bearing in the hub ( open side) and I was wondering if that is what makes it hard to pull the freehub off.....ie the seal would have to run over the adjuster nut. If it does however, it suggest the freehub should be pushed back on over that adjuster nut.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
My Levo Comp is MY20 but I guess it has same freehub as MY19. Today I noticed my cassete/freehub was siezed - when I stopped peddaling (while riding) the chainring/chain/cassette rotated instead of whole drivetrain being still. I removed the cassette and I saw that this ring nut which goes over the freehub into hub body (maybe this is adjuster nut you all talking about?) loosen itself and caused some pressure between hub body and cassete, so freehub/cassette couldn't rotate freeley. This ring nut has 4 small holes for (un)tightening, I don't have shuch tool so I have just tightned it back as much as I could (not much) with a small allen key. I wonder how it's possible that this nut has loosen itself on a stock wheelset?? And how tight this nut must be to not cause these seizing issues? Thanks for help!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No its not the same as my19. The hub bearing tensioner on my19 comp is cone spanner type nut. If you are referring to the hub bearing tension adjustment it sounds like yours is adjusted with a pin spanner. Hub bearing adjustment is done only sufficiently tight enough to eliminate side to side play in the wheel....or even slightly less since the correct torque on the through axle compresses the chain stay width.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Today I went for a ride and after few kms freehub freezed again. ?
Went back home, removed cassette and again this ring nut around freehub was loosen. Now I have taken pics so you can see it below. As LBS is closed until Monday and I have planned ride tomorrow, I need DIY fix for this. I see that on a freehub there is a thin seal positioned towards outside which seems to glide on inner diameter of this ring nut. My question is, must I remove the freehub and tighten this ring nut before I put freehub back in to properly seat this seal? Can I use Loctite 243 on this ring nut to secure it? At what torque needs to be tightened? Thank you so much for any help!

IMG_20200208_162908.jpg

IMG_20200208_162733.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I cannot see from your photos but has this ring any thread or is it just a spacer held in place by the cassette? The cone nut on the axle is the bearing adjustment so I cannot see any purpose for the ring you are highlighting other than as a spacer. It may be that you are not torquing up the locknut on the cassette to the correct spec ( 40nm) and the cassette is coming loose.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I cannot see from your photos but has this ring any thread or is it just a spacer held in place by the cassette? The cone nut on the axle is the bearing adjustment so I cannot see any purpose for the ring you are highlighting other than as a spacer. It may be that you are not torquing up the locknut on the cassette to the correct spec ( 40nm) and the cassette is coming loose.
It's not a spacer, it has outside thread, that's why I'm naming it a ring nut. And it should never make a contact with a cassette. But now seal lip on a freehub hub tends to untighten this ring nut when wheel is spinning and cassette is standing still, ruining your ride. I guess this is a bad design, a simple reverse thread on this ring nut will avoid such issue to ever happen ...
The cassette locknut was properly tightened to 40Nm using torque wrench.

Yes, this kit looks about right, you can also see this seal lip on a freehub body ... but I could not find any service manual about this freehub to see specs to how this ring nut must be tightened :/

Last edited:

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I bought some retaining ring pliers which helped me to get this ring nut properly tightened, was on a 40km ride today, issues gone :geek:

IMG_20200209_193542.jpg

Last edited:

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Today was on a very easy ride with my 7 yrs old daughter and the damn thing happened again, cassette freezed! This seems to be a design flaw of this freehub, anyone else had this? As I remember from the first time I think it also happened on a very easy ride with my daughter, I guess these bikes are only meant to be ridden hard :ROFLMAO:
So now I will try to put some thread locker on the ring nut, I hope it helps ...

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles